Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumor: TSX diesel delayed indefinitely; V6 is coming, though

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 08:30 AM
LexFather

Default Rumor: TSX diesel delayed indefinitely; V6 is coming, though

Earlier this year at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show, Honda CEO Takeo Fukui announced that 2009 would see Honda's first clean diesel engine to be sold in the USA. Though it was stated that the diesel engine would appear in an undisclosed Acura model, it was all but common knowledge that the TSX would be the first model to get the diesel engine.

Fast forward nearly 10 months, and we've received an anonymous tip asserting that the i-DTEC TSX has been delayed indefinitely (if not cancelled outright). According to the anonymous sources, the 6MT version of the i-DTEC TSX has successfully cleared emissions certification, but the automatic-equipped version has been unable to pass certification. According to these sources, Acura believes that the demand for a TSX diesel would be greatly compromised if it were only offered with a 6-speed manual, so the decision was allegedly made to put the TSX diesel on indefinite hold.

That's the bad news. The good news is that a V-6 version is said to be coming soon - it's supposedly being "fast-tracked" to make up for the missing diesel. We're still seeking any details we can uncover on that powertrain.

Old 10-26-08, 08:38 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Hmmm....I dont know. Has it occurred to them that they just may need to update there old *** automatic transmission? How could they let something like common sense get in the way....

Smooth move on the V6. Definitely expected. Seems like they are moving the TL upmarket, and the TSX will come in to compete with the compact lux class.
Old 10-26-08, 09:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

They better pull though with the V6. These little cars are suppose to be the bigger seller of the brand.

V6 + SH-AWD? hrm..

But why do I get the feeling they're just going to shove in the old-tech J-series that lacks a good amount of low end power relative to its competitor's V6????
Old 10-26-08, 11:17 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The good news is that a V-6 version is said to be coming soon - it's supposedly being "fast-tracked" to make up for the missing diesel.
That is what they call good news? Me personally, I would have rather seen the i-VTEC tubo 4 myself in the TSX, not a V6.
Old 10-26-08, 11:26 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is this information coming from?
Old 10-26-08, 11:49 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GFerg
Hmmm....I dont know. Has it occurred to them that they just may need to update there old *** automatic transmission? How could they let something like common sense get in the way....
The automatic transmission that Honda has in the Euro Accord diesel (what would have been our TSX diesel) is a brand new transmission.
Old 10-26-08, 05:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Where is this information coming from?
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=796361

Originally Posted by GSteg
They better pull though with the V6. These little cars are suppose to be the bigger seller of the brand.

V6 + SH-AWD? hrm..

But why do I get the feeling they're just going to shove in the old-tech J-series that lacks a good amount of low end power relative to its competitor's V6????
It still will be ugly as sin and probably have tons of weight bias up front. Its already 59/41.

Old 10-26-08, 06:56 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know how reliable this information is...If it's true, I have no idea why they'd stuff a V6 instead of the turbo from the RDX. It could be a real competitor to the 2.0TFSI from vw/Audi.
Old 10-26-08, 06:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
I don't know how reliable this information is...If it's true, I have no idea why they'd stuff a V6 instead of the turbo from the RDX. It could be a real competitor to the 2.0TFSI from vw/Audi.
The lead engineer for the RDX is a lady. She put the intercooler on top of the engine.
Well the engine clearly would fit in the TSX, but the top fitting intercooler will not. Thus no turbo TSX.

This is from Honda themselves. The engine will not fit.

Old 10-26-08, 07:08 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Time for a new engine then. I have two Accords and both really are lacking in low-end torque. Ones a J-Series 3.0 SOHC VTEC V6, the other a 2.4 i-VTEC. They both sound great in the upper RPM band and have relatively healthy 0-60 times (7.5 seconds) but torque monsters they are NOT. I really wish Honda would re-evaluate this. I don't enjoy driving down the city block at 4,000rpm just to get useable power. I mean, it's acceptable in an Accord/Civic I suppose, but when you're driving an MDX/Pilot, it's unacceptable.
Old 10-26-08, 08:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

VW sells the majority of their diesel Jettas in manual trans.
Old 10-26-08, 08:59 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny how power is fasttracked to make up for mpg.... I've never seen it the other way around

Originally Posted by FKL
Why? It guzzles gas as much as a V6 (or worst) so you might as well have a nicer, smoother V6 over a turbo 4.
Old 10-26-08, 09:19 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

None of the Acuras are imressive when it comes to fuel economy. Come on, the RL is rated for 16/22. Yick. Theyre in worse shape than Mercedes.
Old 10-27-08, 10:53 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's a shame about the diesel.
Old 10-27-08, 06:17 PM
LexGuy2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
The new TSX is much bigger than the IS. The little IS is for midgets. And now they came out with a girlie cabrio IS. I say bring back the IS300 styling, something more aggressive and with usable backseat, otherwise make it a coupe.

Quick Reply: Rumor: TSX diesel delayed indefinitely; V6 is coming, though