Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding Dallas cop hits, kills 10-year-old on bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 08:35 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
Lastly, for those that wonder why the officer didn't slow down... Replace the kid with a deer and imagine that you are driving at highway speeds. You see the deer for a FLASH and then it's over. If you can HONESTLY say that you would have had a better reaction or been able to prevent it, I, as well as anyone else that has had a run in with a deer at those speeds, can HONESTLY tell you that you are full of crap.
Watch the video. 1 second from seeing the bike to impact. No change in direction (can't really judge speed but doesn't seem like a lift either). I can't say I could have missed him but I I think I could have reacted within 1 sec if I was alert (Significant caveat there). Given the speed I'd like to think the officer was alert.

So that's what I "feel" or believe. Research says:

Reaction times are greatly affected by whether the driver is alert to the need to brake. I've found it useful to divide alertness into three classes:

* Expected: the driver is alert and aware of the good possibility that braking will be necessary. This is the absolute best reaction time possible. The best estimate is 0.7 second. Of this, 0.5 is perception and 0.2 is movement, the time required to release the accelerator and to depress the brake pedal.

* Unexpected: the driver detects a common road signal such as a brake from the car ahead or from a traffic signal. Reaction time is somewhat slower, about 1.25 seconds. This is due to the increase in perception time to over a second with movement time still about 0.2 second.

* Surprise: the drive encounters a very unusual circumstance, such as a pedestrian or another car crossing the road in the near distance. There is extra time needed to interpret the event and to decide upon response. Reaction time depends to some extent on the distance to the obstacle and whether it is approaching from the side and is first seen in peripheral vision. The best estimate is 1.5 seconds for side incursions and perhaps a few tenths of a second faster for straight-ahead obstacles. Perception time is 1.2 seconds while movement time lengthens to 0.3 second.

The increased reaction time is due to several factors, including the need to interpret the novel situation and possibly to decide whether there is time to brake or whether steering is better response. Moreover, drivers encountering another vehicle or pedestrian that violates traffic regulations tend to hesitate, expecting the vehicle/pedestrian to eventually halt. Lastly, there can be response conflict that lengthens reaction time. For example, if a driver's only possible response requires steering into an oncoming traffic lane (to the left) there may be a hesitation.
However this is for braking, steering results in:

Response Complexity

More complex muscular responses take longer. For example, braking requires lifting the foot from the accelerator, moving laterally to the brake pedal and then depressing. This is far more complex than turning the steering wheel. While there have been relatively few studies of steering reaction time, they find steering to be 0.15 to 0.3 second faster. Perception times are presumably the same, but assuming the hands are on he steering wheel, the movement required to turn a wheel is performed much faster than that required to move the foot from accelerator to brake pedal.
And finally due to it being night time

Reaction Time At Night

The same factors affecting reaction day in daylight conditions operate at night. Light level per se, has little effect on reaction time. For example, one study found that under scotopic vision, decreasing light levels by a factor of ten only slowed reaction time by 20-25 msec (1/40 to 1/50 second.)

However, there are new variables at work. For example, a light which might have low contrast and low conspicuity during the day because background is bright could become highly conspicuous at night and produce faster reaction times. Always remember that contrast is what matters: people see contrast, not light.
So it seems that from a human factors scientific approach the chances are slim that he could have reacted via steering unless he was "alert". Braking he probably had no chance.

More here.
Old 10-29-08, 08:59 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys this is a super sad event, but if you don't live down here and understand that road then you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

1. beltline is a super busy road. There is no way in hell any parent should ever every let their child close to it. When I say busy, i mean like hwy busy but 2 lanes. It circles all of dallas.

2. Oncor (energy company) is responsible for keeping that road lit. If you notice he is going from a lit up street to a blind dark corner. they are at fault here.

3. what most news organizations have left out is that he was going to assist in a possible DWI and that is why he was going 30mph over (lights should have been on , and this is the 1 mistake of the cop)

4. I drive an average of about 20mph on this street without thinking. I would have never ever in my life expected to have seen a 8yr old at night on his bike anywhere close to it. Unless you live here and know what beltline is, you cannot say. This still blows everyone away down here that the kid was on that street. You do prep for this too. When you drive thru neighborhoods you are always more alert to kids on bikes compared to driving on a hwy.

This is very sad for everyone and including the cop who is on paid leave. I feel bad for him, for the family of the kid and for anyone else involved.

Just thought i'd shed an alternate view in regards to this horrible tradgedy.
Old 10-29-08, 10:44 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally agree. I am very familiar with Beltline Rd in your area, as I have driven thru there with my truck on numerous occasions. There are some areas of that road which get totally pitch black with darkness. I truly do feel bad for all involved, as the life of a child is one that can never be replaced.
Old 10-29-08, 10:20 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combfilter
3. what most news organizations have left out is that he was going to assist in a possible DWI and that is why he was going 30mph over (lights should have been on , and this is the 1 mistake of the cop)
Assisting in a POSSIBLE dwi does not justify exceeding department policy, earlier this year an Illinois state trooper decided to respond to an accident 22 miles away that had officers already on the scene, reconstruction said he was traveling 126 mph when he lost control, crossed the center line and killed 2 sisters, the car was vaporized and looked more like a pile of trash, sad in both cases.
Old 11-23-09, 02:26 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Poor innocent kid, may he RIP. I hope that cop gets punished to the fullest extent of the law.
Old 11-23-09, 05:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the cop should be put away for manslughter and negligence and the parents should be charged with negligence at minimum
Old 11-23-09, 05:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by marshmallo
What a reckless stupid cop. Criminal charges are a MUST.
Since it's been over a year, what were the charges (if any)?

Last edited by IS-SV; 11-23-09 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-23-09, 05:40 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Two wrongs don't equate to anyone being right. The cop should be thrown in jail, or be suspended without pay atleast, and the child's parents should be in jail too for NEGLECT. That child should not have been out late at night with no lights or flashers on his bike. I'm not so sure that even if he had them if they would have helped.

We don't see the cop, just the camera view, but perhaps the cop didn't look like he was stopping because maybe he was also talking on the cell phone or something, who knows why.

Don't point the finger and blame on just the cop, the parents are way wrong too and put some responsiblity on their part. Just both parties being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 11-23-09, 05:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Who cares about finger-pointing and Johnny come-lately verdicts at this point, it's been over a year since the tragic accident.

The investigation is done by now.

Last edited by IS-SV; 11-23-09 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-23-09, 05:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And here it is per The Dallas Morning News 7/31/09
stevethompson@dallasnews.com

A Dallas police officer who fatally struck a child last October received a one-day suspension during a disciplinary hearing Thursday.

Senior Cpl. Michael Vaughn was punished "for violating the emergency vehicle operations policy when he drove over the speed limit without activating the lights and sirens," department officials said.

"From my standpoint, this was an unfortunate accident, and I dealt with Officer Vaughn's misconduct," said Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson, who made the decision. "A one-day suspension is in line with violating the department's emergency operations policy."
Old 11-23-09, 06:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow...a one day suspension...i should be a cop, i could get away with murder.
Old 11-23-09, 06:28 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

wow, i'm offended to hear that killing someone resulted in a 1-day suspension.. it'd be less of a slap in the face if there wasn't any suspension at all
makes it seem like a human life is worth what an officer makes in a day :\
Old 11-23-09, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

One day suspension?!
Old 11-23-09, 09:22 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

this is ridiculous. both parties are at fault but its probably most likely the kids fault, he saw the lights coming from far away thought he could make it and mistimed. but a 1 day suspension is just wrong.