Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Epic Battle: ZR1 vs GT2 vs 599 vs GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 05:09 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker
NINEZeRO, we don't tolerate personal attacks on Club Lexus. Please keep your responses at a non-personal nature.
Typical Jersey behavior lol
Old 10-27-08, 05:53 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

GT-R hanged very well against GT2 and 599 according to numbers.
But numbers only give you a small picture, if you read the article test driver says that GT2 is very scary at high speeds while 599 is totally stable. Things like this matter more in real world driving than numbers. I know I am not F1 driver and I always preferred confident cars that have less edge than those with extreme limits that only very well trained and experienced driver can reach (others would probably hurt themselves trying).
I say GT-R is perfect because it can make ordinary guy with drivers license drive like he knows what he is doing.
Old 10-27-08, 06:49 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Typical Jersey behavior lol

are u a pedo?
Old 10-27-08, 06:51 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Any category? Are you sure about that or did you mother drink alcohol while she was pregnant?
How about an actual intelligent response?
Old 10-27-08, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
WTH... are you suggesting car magazines stick to reviews of mini vans and hatchbacks?
No. Of course not. But testing exotics at triple-digit speeds doesn't do a whole lot for the average car buyer....who is consulting the magazine for help and info with something tht he can realistically take home and put in his driveway, be it a minivan, hatchback, sedan, coupe, convertible, SUV, or whatever have you.

But I do understand where you are coming from, and I know there are are guys who like to read about track numbers, even if they rarely if ever drive on a track themselves.
Old 10-27-08, 07:17 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. Of course not. But testing exotics at triple-digit speeds doesn't do a whole lot for the average car buyer....who is consulting the magazine for help and info with something tht he can realistically take home and put in his driveway, be it a minivan, hatchback, sedan, coupe, convertible, SUV, or whatever have you.

But I do understand where you are coming from, and I know there are are guys who like to read about track numbers, even if they rarely if ever drive on a track themselves.
I enjoyed reading this type of comparison very much. First, it is very difficult for us regular guys to gather these type of super cars altogether at the same time. Second, we don't have the necessary equipments to measure so many variables. Third, we are not professional racers trained to drive such cars at such high speeds, let alone doing it safely. Now, even we are not going to drive these cars at 120mph plus ever in the car's lifetime we still would love to see their extreme potentials. Because for this level of super high performance sports cars, double digit speed might not be able to differentiate their capabilities and release their shortcomings. Therefore, I think doing this type of comparison is not only entertaining but very necessary for the potential buyers for these cars.
Just like we probably would never go into space but still reading a bunch of news and infos about new stars and other galaxies and black holes and anything about space is very entertaining for many people.
Old 10-27-08, 07:31 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Well, That's what Consumer Reports is for. And while I'm at, it I should say that I get far more from your reviews, mmarshall, than anything from CR other than the raw statistical data they collect. CR is for the rational side of shopping for a car.

Enthusiast magazines are more about the emotional aspect of cars than that. I, personally, don't read them to collect info for an actual purchase. 90% of the cars they feature are those which I'll never own and likely never drive. But that doesn't mean I don't dream about them.

And as stated above, enthusiast mags are the only ones which will collect cars of this caliber and drive the heck out of them and in turn tell you how much fun they are.
Old 10-27-08, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I enjoyed reading this type of comparison very much. First, it is very difficult for us regular guys to gather these type of super cars altogether at the same time. Second, we don't have the necessary equipments to measure so many variables. Third, we are not professional racers trained to drive such cars at such high speeds, let alone doing it safely. Now, even we are not going to drive these cars at 120mph plus ever in the car's lifetime we still would love to see their extreme potentials. Because for this level of super high performance sports cars, double digit speed might not be able to differentiate their capabilities and release their shortcomings. Therefore, I think doing this type of comparison is not only entertaining but very necessary for the potential buyers for these cars.
Just like we probably would never go into space but still reading a bunch of news and infos about new stars and other galaxies and black holes and anything about space is very entertaining for many people.
OK...fine. I respect your opinion on that. But I, as a more-or-less ordinary car buyer, would rather see that amount of space dedicated to more comparison tests of everyday vehicles that people buy and take home to their driveway. But I understand your view, and accept it.
Old 10-27-08, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, That's what Consumer Reports is for. And while I'm at, it I should say that I get far more from your reviews, mmarshall, than anything from CR other than the raw statistical data they collect. CR is for the rational side of shopping for a car.
Thanks....glad you enjoy my reviews. But CR can provide a lot of data that I can't....reliability charts, owner-satisfaction level, cost-of-ownership, Federal crash tests, etc.....

In fact, I depend on CR myself (more so than J.D. Power) for reliability data. I have yet to find a better source.

Enthusiast magazines are more about the emotional aspect of cars than that. I, personally, don't read them to collect info for an actual purchase. 90% of the cars they feature are those which I'll never own and likely never drive. But that doesn't mean I don't dream about them.

And as stated above, enthusiast mags are the only ones which will collect cars of this caliber and drive the heck out of them and in turn tell you how much fun they are.
OK....I understand your point.
Old 10-27-08, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK......enough venting on my part. We've pretty much discussed that issue, and don't need to keep it up.

Now.............back to the battle of the exotics. :
Old 10-27-08, 10:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the GTR is out gunned in terms of HP . Its not even close. Its runninf 485hp and the zr1 is pushing over 630 hp. Its not even a fair test. the gtr is to compete with the porsche turbo and the z06. Its still kept up but its not in this class of cars. Boost the power to equal numbers and it will **** on the vette, ferrari, and porsche
Old 10-28-08, 03:32 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
the GTR is out gunned in terms of HP . Its not even close. Its runninf 485hp and the zr1 is pushing over 630 hp. Its not even a fair test. the gtr is to compete with the porsche turbo and the z06. Its still kept up but its not in this class of cars. Boost the power to equal numbers and it will **** on the vette, ferrari, and porsche
I think the magazine just want the fastest sports car from those four countries, and so far GT-R is the absolute fastest production car from Japan. I agree GT-R is outpowered by those three super monsters. Let's hope the V spec or the new NSX could supplant the spot.
Old 10-28-08, 04:52 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I think the magazine just want the fastest sports car from those four countries, and so far GT-R is the absolute fastest production car from Japan. I agree GT-R is outpowered by those three super monsters. Let's hope the V spec or the new NSX could supplant the spot.
Also, Motortrend doesn't always get the exact model it wants, when it wants. Like all publications, they have to send out for favors from connections with cars or the companies to send a car over so they can borrow it.

Due to the numerous amounts of publications all around the world who want to test cars, there are scheduling problems.

I know they like the GT-R a whole lot. I like it a whole lot.

It doesn't matter if it was outgunned. It just goes to show you how much car it is just by it being up against these chosen few.

C'mon a Ferrari! It's sitting next to a Ferrari!

You won't see your mom's Sonata being compared, let alone compete, against one =P
Old 10-28-08, 06:16 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

^

My mom Sonata runs on enriched uranium and will blow any GTR out of the water in a cloud that resembles mushroom
Old 10-28-08, 06:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Vette Zr1 is an amazing machine but there is nothing that can match the class, sound, nostalgia of a Ferrari 599GTB! I will sell my house & live in a box to get that car

Quick Reply: Epic Battle: ZR1 vs GT2 vs 599 vs GT-R