Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you own and drive a used hearse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 05:50 PM
Boosty.vip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd juice it and throw on some daytons, 3-wheeling hearse.

Old 10-27-08, 07:29 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I am Chinese as well.

I think being disowned is a bit extreme, even though I can imagine being cut off from parents' will within imagination.

It's just not a good juju to drive that thing around. Let the dead be entitled to their transportation.

Jon

Originally Posted by RXSF
umm no. being chinese, we are really supersticious about these things. i think my parents would disown me.

plus, its gotta be pretty creepy even to a white guy
Old 10-27-08, 08:10 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd drift it
Old 10-27-08, 08:39 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosty.vip
I'd juice it and throw on some daytons, 3-wheeling hearse.

haha, "last ride"
Old 10-27-08, 09:37 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

There's something called mass transit....
Old 10-27-08, 10:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

driving that thing is like keeping bundles of black dead roses in your house. I am a little superstitious I guess
Old 10-28-08, 07:38 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What's not to like about a vehicle you can stretch out full length in the back and go to sleep?

Years ago, a friend of mine was a young policeman on the beat. One snowy morning he walked round the corner into a large, empty car park to be confronted by a the strange site of a large black hearse doing handbake turns round and round on the ice. The sheepish driver admitted he was bored with travelling everywhere at slow speeds and had taken the vehicle out for a bit of a blast. He'd had no complaints from the back.
Old 10-28-08, 08:15 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
What's not to like about a vehicle you can stretch out full length in the back and go to sleep?

Years ago, a friend of mine was a young policeman on the beat. One snowy morning he walked round the corner into a large, empty car park to be confronted by a the strange site of a large black hearse doing handbake turns round and round on the ice. The sheepish driver admitted he was bored with travelling everywhere at slow speeds and had taken the vehicle out for a bit of a blast. He'd had no complaints from the back.
LOL, backseat driver
Old 10-28-08, 09:12 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Let's see if I can get this joke right:

A hearse driver just got his first job as a taxi cab driver.
Customer taps the driver after he missed his dropoff.

The driver jumps and screams out loud.
Customer asked him why he scream and he replies, "I never had anyone in the backseat tap me in the shoulder"
Old 10-28-08, 12:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Let's see if I can get this joke right:

A hearse driver just got his first job as a taxi cab driver.
Customer taps the driver after he missed his dropoff.

The driver jumps and screams out loud.
Customer asked him why he scream and he replies, "I never had anyone in the backseat tap me in the shoulder"
You do know that there are second row seats in hearses right ?
Old 10-28-08, 01:38 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are good-sized clubs dedicated to collectors of hearses and funeral cars (note: a funeral car is like a stretch limo, except with doors for each row of seats). It is generally agreed that the advantage of a 10-15 year old vehicle may be that parts are relatively easy to find, although initial cost may be fairly high. Older cars are highly collectible and prices can go pretty high - just like any other classic.

I had a friend who owned a hearse who tipped me off to a couple of facts on buying and owning your own personal hearse.

First, resist the urge to remove the floor and rollers in the rear (bier floor) - these are difficult to find and their removal cuts deeply into resale value to other collectors. Don't do anything that's not reversible.

Although they are usually based on luxury vehicles, hearses (generally Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes) are called "professional cars" for a reason - they tend to be operated until they become more expensive to maintain than they are worth. Caveat Emptor.

From a practical standpoint, they are almost impossible to park, they offer truly miserable fuel economy, and they are largely hand-made, so restoration is labor intensive - parts often have to be fabricated. While engines are stock, other components including transmissions, brakes and wheel spindles are often special "professional" models . . . and expensive.

Because of the nature of their service, most of these cars have had many hours on the engine spent idling. Mileage is not always a significant factor when purchasing your funeral vehicle - look for signs of wear - run a compression test, and if possible, borescope the cylinders. Check the transmission fluid for overheating, and ensure maintenance was performed regularly.

Finally, you need to insure them heavily - hearses seem to attract vandals. You will be best served by garaging your hobby - if you can find a garage to fit. Naturally, while most are black, some of these vehicles may be found in other somber colors, dark blue, grey, maroon, brown, etc. There are some to be found in white as well. Whatever color you choose, they MUST be kept scrupulously clean at all times.

Now, if you can work around all of that, there is no problem in owning a hearse. They are not "haunted", and if converted to limo service, can help you earn extra money - particularly during Halloween and prom season. Some owners even rent their classics through local funeral homes - for upscale funerals.

As collectibles they appreciate in value, and a good restoration of a classic can bring big bucks from other collectors at auction.

http://members.aol.com/hearseq/grimrides.htm
http://members.aol.com/GHRiders/
http://www.hambly-funeral.com/LasRyd.html
http://www.coffincruisers.com/
http://www.graveyardhaulerz.com/
Old 10-28-08, 02:15 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

There's a lot of things I'd drive if it were free... some of them pretty embarrassing... but no I wouldn't drive that. It could affect the way your friends, coworkers, neighbors, etc think about you quite a bit... and I don't just mean that in a pretentious "I want to impress everyone" way, I mean people would think you are flat out psychotic.
Old 10-28-08, 08:03 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tony Stewarts'

Old 10-28-08, 09:25 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just another car/station wagon. If I had no alternative... absolutely.
Old 10-29-08, 11:31 AM
SH212
Dances with goats

Originally Posted by mikez
Before you end up in the skies, make sure to write the review on that ride
LMAO!!!

hell no.. id rather walk

Quick Reply: Would you own and drive a used hearse?