Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Ferrari About to Jump Out of Formula 1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 10:34 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Is Ferrari About to Jump Out of Formula 1?

MARANELLO, Italy — As though there was not already enough excitement in the Formula 1 circus — just as McLaren F1 driver Lewis Hamilton focuses on clinching the Formula 1 championship at this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix, and just as Felipe Massa is trying to salvage Ferrari's rather mediocre season by spoiling things for Hamilton — now Ferrari issues another in a series of big threats: to leave F1 altogether.

In a press release sent to Inside Line, Ferrari's industrious spin office chats about the company's 22.3 percent growth in revenue year on year and then segues into a threat to leave what has been called the billionaires' traveling carnival at the end of this season.

An excerpt from the press release: "The board has also examined the new rules proposed by the governing body of Formula 1 in light of the dismal global financial situation.

"The Ferrari board, while it confirms its full commitment to a substantial and needed reduction in costs beginning with engine strategy, has nonetheless expressed its grave concern regarding the "equalizing" or standardization of the engines, a move which would strip Formula One of its very raison d'κtre based on the spirit of competition and technological development. This is precisely how Ferrari has understood its uninterrupted involvement ever since the inaugural season of the World Championship of Formula 1 in 1950.

"In anticipation of how these various elements may unfold, the Board of Directors exercises its right to reassess, together with its partners, the prospect of continuing its participation in the sport."

Inside Line says: Another indignant stare-down instigated by the Italians! We bet this threat has the controversial Max Mosley feeling like he's been slapped. Oh, wait. — Matt Davis, Correspondent
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=134586
Old 10-28-08, 10:51 AM
LexFather

F1 really is not all that great. Minimal passing. Hell minimal teams. I am just now getting into it but there is a lot to be desired. Funny Ferrari seems to get all the breaks and may leave...

Old 10-28-08, 09:07 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been following F-1 for 8 years. It was way more interesting when the drivers had to shift gears, etc., now everything is electronic. They did away with locking differential a couple of years ago and boy, the guys didnt know how to control the vehicles for awhile, and at times still dont know how to drive without these aids. F-1 represents the ultimate racing vehicle and that alone makes it really great for me to watch. I even got to see them race at Indy the year before they decided not to race because of the Michelin tire problems, so I got to see a great race. I would rather see these cars on road type courses any day vs cars going round and round in a circle/oval.. Until you have been down at eye level or have them go over the tunnel at Indy at close to 200mph screaming at 19,000 rpm, there is nothing better for me.
The G forces are up to almost 4-5 at times, going forward, side loads and braking. These guys are pretty much really strong athletes to be able to do this 19 times a year, not counting all the testing they do between races and in the off season. Too bad its so expensive - hope it doesnt drive itself into extinction someday.. I want to be able to see a race in Europe someday, perhaps Monaco - actually anywhere in Europe would be great! DanF
Old 10-29-08, 03:09 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F1 is awesome but like all sports handling large sums of money, it's got it's own flaws.