Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

gm to cancel all future full size suv's

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 02:26 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Truck for the RV and boat and a minivan for the family tree.

Anyone who can afford a boat or RV that needs a full sized truck frame to pull can afford to drive a minivan

Besides, 95% of full-size SUV owners drive them because they're trendy not because they offer some feature they need and use.
but what about the soccer moms that cant park but still want to tower over everyone else on the road?
i dont think the demography that buys full-size SUVs want to settle for minivans
Old 10-29-08, 05:00 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UberNoob
but what about the soccer moms that cant park but still want to tower over everyone else on the road?
i dont think the demography that buys full-size SUVs want to settle for minivans
Well they are going from the “I need a big suv to feel safe” to I can no longer afford the gas so they do not have a choice. And I do not blame them for not wanting a minivan; I made my wife put it in ink before I married her that she would never own one

But I think this is why we see more cross over type autos coming out, and stuff like the ford freestyle that I am seeing a lot of.

In Michigan we tow a lot of stuff. Boats. Quads, snowmobiles, camping trailers you name it. Many people want and need to be able to tow something.

Question is how much do you need to tow and how many do you want to seat? One friend has 3 kids and a 24ft snowmobile trailer. Just the direct family heading up in the winter a Sierra 1500 works fine to haul the trailer and the kids.

But if they want to head up north with the kids and a couple of their friends a pickup truck does not work, and not just that but around town hauling the kids and friends to practices etc.

In that case he could use an SUV that sits 7-8 people and can tow 5000lbs. But he does have purposes, many people do not.

As far as the people that drove around in huge SUV’s and did not need to carry 6-7 people or tow over 2000lbs, you can bet they are looking at something smaller right now.
Old 10-29-08, 05:40 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
The Sequoia will not get discontinued. Toyota will listen and improve the interior. The Sequoia is more reliable and more fuel efficient than the Armada/QX56, Tahoe/Escalade, Expedition/Navigator and Durango/Aspen. Also remember gas did spike to over $4/gallon earlier in the year and the economy is tanking so I'm sure Toyota won't be selling 60K units anytime soon..but it is selling well in this rough financial environment.
Not sure about the rest but the Seq's EPA ratings are worse than the Tahoe's.

You also have no way of knowing the reliability of the Sequoia since it's a new vehicle. So far the reliability on the new GMT-900 trucks has been very good overall. Especially on the interior quality where it seems Toyota might not have done such a great job.

Last edited by Threxx; 10-29-08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 06:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So true. I cannot fathom why those crappy SUVs cost so much. 50k for a Tahoe? Are you serious? 60k for an Escalade? Why exactly?
Why? Simple. I agree there is a good amount of profit built into them (as there is with similiar large Ford SUV's). But you have to consider, besides the obvious traditional high demand, the fact that these are three-ton vehicles that take a LOT of resources to build. That's a lot of steel, aluminum, rubber, glass, plastic, vinyl, leather, paint, carpet, electronics, and everything else that goes into a modern vehicle....plus, of course, the high UAW wages and benefits. You simply can't produce a vehicle like this for the price.....and resources.....of a Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent.
Old 10-29-08, 07:09 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Trexus;3960631]
Originally Posted by pagemaster

Have you seen September 2008's sale of Sequoias? Toyota sold 2,030 last Semptember 2008 compared to 1,660 September 2007. Toyota sold 24,592 Sequoias from January - September 2008 compared to 17,959 Sequoia's sold from January - September 2007.

Get your facts straight. The Sequoia isn't going anywhere...
The local dealers here are selling Sequoias for 10-20k off the sticker price, so even if they are moving it's not like they are going at the original value

Originally Posted by Trexus
The Sequoia is more reliable and more fuel efficient than the Armada/QX56, Tahoe/Escalade, Expedition/Navigator and Durango/Aspen.
Your kidding right, this is all subjective, they are pretty much all the same, none no better then the other, the Armada/QX56 and Sequoia are less reliable then the domestics cause these are the 1st true fullsize vehicles coming from the japanese, stop reading online, and take a trip to a dealership and see for yourself that the Japanese trucks have just as many problems as the domestics, nothing major but once again all subjective and personal preference in vehicles
Old 10-29-08, 07:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

What is with the Sequoia hate in here? FWIW, Sequoia sales were up 27% in September...did you see any other BOF full size 'utes posting sales gains? No. If it really was the awful POS you people are making it out to be it would be tanking.

Additionally, the Sequoia interior isn't that bad at all, and makes me think that many of you are mag racing with such comments. Too much silver painted plastic? Yes there is, but it's solid and well built, efficiently packaged and laid out, and at least the design is interesting. The GM crew has dashes sourced from the Detroit recycling center (no matter how pleasing they look to the eye, run your fingernail across them and it sounds like a Rubbermaid, at best), the Armada and Durango/Aspen are old, and the Expedition is average.

Gas is reasonable again so once(/if) the economy corrects itself I would imagine that the market for these types of vehicles will open up again. Until then, they may not sell 80K of them a year anymore, but there is a market for them...especially one as well built and packaged as the Sequoia.

Additionally, the Sequoia snagged the J.D. Power award for "Highest Ranked Large Multi-Activity Vehicle in Initial Quality" so how about the people who have driven and sat in one step to the front of the line?

Thanks.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 10-29-08 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 07:30 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Dang that's serious
Old 10-29-08, 08:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Good move on GMs part, we need less giant wasteful SUVs not more even if gas prices are going down.
+1, as usual, they're late to the party tho.

to those saying gas prices are down...you do know OPEC is cutting production to raise oil prices right? they want it to be $100/bbl
Old 10-29-08, 09:08 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good riddance......
Old 10-29-08, 11:08 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
And I do not blame them for not wanting a minivan; I made my wife put it in ink before I married her that she would never own one

But I think this is why we see more cross over type autos coming out, and stuff like the ford freestyle that I am seeing a lot of.
My friends all wanted me to get an SUV for my work vehicle. Didn't make any sense to drive something that big with poor economy and towing and "off road" capability I didn't need... Also, didn't want to sacrifice interior space by going with a Tahoe. Had one of these as a company vehicle and it had to be loaded in a specific sequence to load 8 boxed wheels in it.

My Odyssey holds 12 boxed wheels easily, my beach cruiser can STAND UP inside the back, has lower load height, gets 25 mpg on road trips, handles better, and, to my eyes, looks better:

Seeing a lot more new Odysseys on the road lately. Two friends have purchased them since I got mine in March. Fixed-up like this, WAY cooler than any SUV if you ask me.

On the once-a-year occasion I need to tow something, I have friends with pickup trucks.

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 10-29-08 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 11:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Fixed-up like this, WAY cooler than any SUV if you ask me.
I mean...I'll give you this: Looks cooler than most minivans
Old 10-29-08, 12:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

With those rims that is actually a decent looking minivan. Looks nice My neighbor had an Odyssey and I rode in it alot and it was a very nice vehicle.
Old 10-29-08, 09:45 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Minivans were very popular in the 90's, then the Expedition/Navigator came along and the luxury suv market was born, this was the beginning of a slow death for minivans even though they drive and ride nice and are easy to load/unload kids and all the stuff that goes with that, I don't see people reverting back because of the mommymobile stigma attached to them, a few more mpg's won't be enough.
Old 10-29-08, 10:26 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
Minivans were very popular in the 90's, then the Expedition/Navigator came along and the luxury suv market was born, this was the beginning of a slow death for minivans even though they drive and ride nice and are easy to load/unload kids and all the stuff that goes with that, I don't see people reverting back because of the mommymobile stigma attached to them, a few more mpg's won't be enough.
Which is pretty ridiculous, because SUVs ARE the modern mommymobiles.
(I wouldn't be caught dead in one!)

Gas prices have changed all of that, SUV sales are in the crapper.
Old 10-29-08, 11:07 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

(I wouldn't be caught dead in one!)
I bet you own one

Quick Reply: gm to cancel all future full size suv's