Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

One Step Closer to Supercar Brakes for Everyday Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 10:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
150k miles is pretty typical for CCRs which I wouldn't call the life of the car. Actually it might be the life of the car because by the time you hit 150k miles the car is worth less than the replacement cost of the rotors!

The life of the rest of the brake system doesn't change, either... so we're only talking about rotors here, which on a normal car are very cheap and really with a proper rotor design and normal driving shouldn't NEED to be replaced until 100k miles at the earliest anyway though I know a lot of cars with not so great designs have required replacement pretty early in the car's life due to warping or uneven buildup of pad material on the surface.

I haven't heard any complaints from everyday drivers on Honda/Acura brake fade. Not to say that there aren't any but if we're only talking about very aggressive drivers taking a winding downhill mountain road on for 5 minutes full out with stock brakes, well, you have to expect that's as hard or harder on brakes than a race track. So I guess race track like driving duplicated on public roads could be an issue but really a big enough issue to justify the extra cost on adding them to a car that 99% of consumers will never notice any fade on normal brakes?
Audi guarantees the carbon ceramic rotors on it's new RS models for almost 200K miles. Service life for carbon ceramic rotors will only increase as technology improves.

Maybe in areas where it never snows rotor replacements are rare, but up here in Canada people replace their rotors ALMOST annually. The use of road salt during winter is really bad for the rotors and rust build-up on the rotors is all too common. Carbon ceramic rotors will not rust.

You don't really hear much from everyday drivers yes because it doesn't concern them. There are more than enough enthusiasts who have experienced brake fade issues on Honda/Acura vehicles.

I'm not saying that carbon ceramic rotors should be on all cars soon, but it would be great to see them on more performance or enthusiast-oriented machines.
Old 10-30-08, 11:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
There are more than enough enthusiasts who have experienced brake fade issues on Honda/Acura vehicles.
Moreso than other brands of vehicles? What has given you that impression?

Wait... I think I remember a year or two ago you telling me and others that Honda vehicles had poor/unstable braking feel but then admitted you were only basing this judgment on driving your parent's Honda Odyssey minivan.

I think I'm gonna need more solid evidence than that, that there is any greater issue with fade on Honda/Acura products than other brands unless this is based on minivan driving again.
Old 10-30-08, 11:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Moreso than other brands of vehicles? What has given you that impression?

Wait... I think I remember a year or two ago you telling me and others that Honda vehicles had poor/unstable braking feel but then admitted you were only basing this judgment on driving your parent's Honda Odyssey minivan.

I think I'm gonna need more solid evidence than that, that there is any greater issue with fade on Honda/Acura products than other brands unless this is based on minivan driving again.
Way to take things out of context .

My experience was based on driving MANY Honda/Acura vehicles. I've driven Civics, Accords, Del Sols, Integras, Odysseys, Acura CLs and Acura TLs. I've driven a variety of new and old Honda/Acura vehicles. The reason being is that I used to be a big Honda/Acura fan, and was always interested in driving different Honda/Acura models.

Solid evidence? How about the fact that Edmunds for the past few months has repeatedly been bringing up the issue of brake fade when reviewing new Honda/Acura vehicles? Edmunds is not the most consistent or reliable auto publication, but there is definitely some substance if Edmunds continually brings up the issue of brake fade when reviewing a Honda or Acura product.
Old 10-30-08, 12:55 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
Ceramic brakes........YUMO!

AHAHAHAHH LMAO @ Rachel Ray pic

you made my day
thanks!!
Old 10-30-08, 03:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic