Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Tiptronic Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 09:44 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks MMarshall, I was one of the people who requested this review. I have to admit I really do like the new A4. Although it grew a bit it is still too small for my needs, but if I was in the market for a smaller 4 door sedan it would be my leading choice. Shame to hear about the lower grade leather. My wife had a 98 A6 2.8 and I remember not liking it too much as it was very grainy.

Overall I do like the new A4, I just think they (and all of the German automakers) need to do something on their pricing. The entry level vehicles are just getting out of hand price wise.
Old 10-30-08, 09:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
Thanks MMarshall, I was one of the people who requested this review. I have to admit I really do like the new A4. Although it grew a bit it is still too small for my needs, but if I was in the market for a smaller 4 door sedan it would be my leading choice. Shame to hear about the lower grade leather. My wife had a 98 A6 2.8 and I remember not liking it too much as it was very grainy.

Overall I do like the new A4, I just think they (and all of the German automakers) need to do something on their pricing. The entry level vehicles are just getting out of hand price wise.

I agree with you. I really like the A4 but for me the price for a smallish (even with the new size) 4 cyl just gets too high even with basic options for a car in that class.
Old 10-30-08, 10:07 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
not to go off topic but....

a new 550i for $45K OTD?? meaning including TT&L?

a 550 MSRP is approx $66K, so they're discounting it about $25K???
Yep, even have price tags on cars ... they are 07s, been sitting on lot for 15 months, mileage was under 300 on each... Sport package, no NAV... beautiful cars, trying to work a couple things as I'll be getting a 5-series...

Can't move 'em... rear-wheel drive and WI winters.... I could handle it with dedicated snow tire/wheel package, can't unerstand why other haven't
Old 10-30-08, 10:09 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The 550i is a superb sports sedan, no question about it. It is one of my two favorite BMW's, along with the 335i and 335xi. But it costs some $$$$$$, especially new (the new one I reviewed was around 65K). And it (as of now) does not have an xi AWD version in the American market.......something to consider in those Wisconsin winters you live in.
Good point... I love the 5-series after spending a week with one... amazing!!!
Old 10-30-08, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
Mmarshall,

As I was one of the requestors of this review, a special Thank YOU for taking the time and sharing what you observed. You’re a good man!
Sure...anytime. But why not do it? I've usually got the time for it, and MANY auto dealerships close by....some of the best opportunities on the East Coast. It would be a sin for me not to take advantage of those opportunities, especially with requests from people who DON'T have those opportunities, or who live far from a dealership.

I really enjoyed the review and starting with the exterior (the only part I’ve seen when doing Sunday car lot strolls) I’d say you and I are aligned 100%. And while I also agree the A4 grill is definitely an “acquired taste” , I would also add that I think the car has a lot of interesting lines and cues upfront that draw at least some of our attention away from the grill which IMHO puts it on the acceptable side. I’m sure opinions will vary.
Yes, they will. And that grille, like the new Acura grilles, takes a LOT of "acquiring".

In the past I know you reviewed the IS and now that you’ve driven the 09 A4Q out on the road, how would you say they compare?
The IS250/350 has less body roll, a slightly firmer ride, a less sophisticated chassis, less road noise, and more cheap plastic parts in its interior (but the standard interior leather is better). It also has a sardine-can rear seat. But its mechanics and electronics are likely to be more reliable in the long run, it has slightly quicker-responding brakes, easier-to-use dash controls, a slightly better-sounding stereo, a better warranty, and it runs quieter.

The A4 has superb interior materials, a more sophisticated chassis (but still not the equal of BMWs), more torque, with both the 2.0T and 3.2, than the IS250, more and better safety features, more room inside, and more solid sheet metal. But it has some complex/frustrating controls, less reliable electronics, and can get way pricey with expensive options.

Both cars have excellent paint jobs, proven AWD options, good fit/finish inside and out, and generally good handling....the A4 has slightly more body roll. The A4 is a better bet if you want an AWD system with some power.....the IS250AWD, with its mandatory automatic, is somewhat slug-like.

Dang! That’s a shoe size that commands respect!
There are a number of auto marketers and designers that I'd like to give a taste of that big size-15 shoe to, but prudence, manners, and courtesy prevents it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-08 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 10:57 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent review. We've had white new model A4 with the 2.0T engine and tan leather interior for a few months, previously having had a succession of old model A4s of varying specs and engines. The new A4 is much more like the A6 in terms of space and design and it improves on the old model in small amounts in most areas with perhaps the exception being the interior quality. Some of the plastics used and general ambience are a step down from the old model. Still a good car though and the engine pulls from low revs like a diesel and remains pretty smooth right through the rev band.
Old 10-30-08, 10:58 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with just about everything except the dipstick issue. These guys put millions in R&D to understand how much strain their motors can withstand. I didn't have one on my 2002 C230 and all I did was every two or three weeks I would go to menu and see whether or not it needed a quart of oil and I just sold the car at 180,000 miles with only an O2 sensor issue. Overall great review I went and checked it out last night after the dealer closed and they so happened to have one unlocked black/tan 3.2 quattro and you are very right about the leather, it reminded me of Hondas leather package also the seats are plushy like the 2IS and finally the headrests are terrible.
Old 10-30-08, 11:01 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

As far as the electronics are concerned, yes the B5 era has some errors (ABS modules, corroded wirring near central CCM unit, etc.), but the B6 and B7 A4 (and Passat/Jetta/Golf, etc) has rarely been prone to having any sort of electrical problems. VW recognized the problem and went with another vendor after the B5 platform. I don't see how the B8 surely has electrical problems.

As far as wirring is concerned, yes there is more of a chance of an electronic glitch compared to say, a Honda Accord, but then again VAG-COM is a great tool that makes it easy to nail down any fault.
Old 10-30-08, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
[/U]

I agree with you. I really like the A4 but for me the price for a smallish (even with the new size) 4 cyl just gets too high even with basic options for a car in that class.
Have you driven a 2.0T? Don't let its small size fool you. Although it is not quite as torquey as the 2.0 engines in the Subaru STi and Mitsubishi Evo, it WILL get out of its own way, even with the drag of an automatic and AWD.

The auto press has liked this engine for years, and it shows.
Old 10-30-08, 11:06 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
As far as the electronics are concerned, yes the B5 era has some errors (ABS modules, corroded wirring near central CCM unit, etc.), but the B6 and B7 A4 (and Passat/Jetta/Golf, etc) has rarely been prone to having any sort of electrical problems. VW recognized the problem and went with another vendor after the B5 platform. I don't see how the B8 surely has electrical problems.

As far as wirring is concerned, yes there is more of a chance of an electronic glitch compared to say, a Honda Accord, but then again VAG-COM is a great tool that makes it easy to nail down any fault.
Yeah but I believe they seem more prone to electronic glitches until they can prove otherwise. Maybe the B8 will prove everyone wrong but the thing is that if something does go wrong and your out of warranty then expect to pay up. My theory is never own a German car without warranty.
Old 10-30-08, 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Excellent review.
Thanks.

We've had white new model A4 with the 2.0T engine and tan leather interior for a few months, previously having had a succession of old model A4s of varying specs and engines. The new A4 is much more like the A6 in terms of space and design and it improves on the old model in small amounts in most areas with perhaps the exception being the interior quality. Some of the plastics used and general ambience are a step down from the old model. Still a good car though and the engine pulls from low revs like a diesel and remains pretty smooth right through the rev band.
Sounds like almost a carbon copy of what I reviewed yesterday. And, like a diesel, its 258 ft.-lbs torque max starts at 1500 RPM.

The interior on the one I drove was superb, especially the quality of the metallic and wood trim and its fit/finish.

Good luck, BTW, on your purchase.....and congragulations.
Old 10-30-08, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Yeah but I believe they seem more prone to electronic glitches until they can prove otherwise. Maybe the B8 will prove everyone wrong but the thing is that if something does go wrong and your out of warranty then expect to pay up. My theory is never own a German car without warranty.
Audis, in general, were well below average in reliability up to a couple of years ago, but are definitely showing signs of improvement. Consumer Reports now has A4 reliability as average. The new design this fall, of course, is yet unproven.
Old 10-30-08, 11:12 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

They've already proven this to be a nonissue in the B6 and B7 platforms...

I can understand being scepticle if you've been burned by a B5 (my CCM threw a fault, traced it to a bad factory splice near the unit) but really the newer generations are different cars, different vendors, different parts. The "audi" electrical nightmares point is usually brought up by people who have, A) Never owned an Audi, ever, B) Think the old 1990-2001 cars are the same cars being sold today, C) Have to justify a reason against owning an Audi/German car. That's at least what I have come across. My theory is that you're rolling the dice on any car you buy. Honda transmissions, Toyota sludge, Audi electrical - They are all problems that have been corrected by their manufactures to a large degree over the last few product cycles.
Old 10-30-08, 11:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with just about everything except the dipstick issue. These guys put millions in R&D to understand how much strain their motors can withstand. I didn't have one on my 2002 C230 and all I did was every two or three weeks I would go to menu and see whether or not it needed a quart of oil and I just sold the car at 180,000 miles with only an O2 sensor issue. Overall great review I went and checked it out last night after the dealer closed and they so happened to have one unlocked black/tan 3.2 quattro and you are very right about the leather, it reminded me of Hondas leather package also the seats are plushy like the 2IS and finally the headrests are terrible.
OK, I respect your opinion.....and your experience. But BMW has had to replace a number of expensive engines, under warranty, because those so-called "sensors" didn't keep sludge and gel from forming in the oil system from extended-length oil changes and ruining the engine. Nor do they always detect simple oil leaks either like a dipstick would. And, while I don't have the exact numbers with me from each manufacturer, BMW is not alone with this problem either.
Old 10-30-08, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
They've already proven this to be a nonissue in the B6 and B7 platforms...

I can understand being scepticle if you've been burned by a B5 (my CCM threw a fault, traced it to a bad factory splice near the unit) but really the newer generations are different cars, different vendors, different parts. The "audi" electrical nightmares point is usually brought up by people who have, A) Never owned an Audi, ever, B) Think the old 1990-2001 cars are the same cars being sold today, C) Have to justify a reason against owning an Audi/German car. That's at least what I have come across. My theory is that you're rolling the dice on any car you buy. Honda transmissions, Toyota sludge, Audi electrical - They are all problems that have been corrected by their manufactures to a large degree over the last few product cycles.

I'll give you the same response here I gave to MoLexus:

Audis, in general, were well below average in reliability up to a couple of years ago, but are definitely showing signs of improvement. Consumer Reports now has A4 reliability as average. The new design this fall, of course, is yet unproven.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Tiptronic Quattro