Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Tiptronic Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 08:52 AM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The upshift/downshift indicators you mention, IF they are the type I'm thinking of, are probably just fuel-economy gadgets. I can't say for sure with the S5, as I haven't driven it, but cars in the past that had those up/down arrows programmed them for maximum fuel economy. If you actually followed them, you saved gas, but ended up lugging the engine at low RPMs.
I agree, the upshift indicator is programmed as an aid for fuel economy. When driving casually, I will often skip a gear while upshifting anyway. The S5 gear ratios are relatively closely spaced and the engine is quite torquey so you have to really be not paying attention to wind up lugging the engine. The upshift indicator programming does not result in lugging either.
Old 11-20-08, 09:41 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a problem with electronic monitoring of fluid levels but it's nice to have the dipstick option.
After I've washed and cleaned out my car on a Sunday morning I like to pop the bonnet and top up the washer fluid, dip the oil, adding more if necessary and checking for any obvious fluid leaks. It just makes me feel better.
Old 11-20-08, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by snowday
It can be argued that warranty terms are just a matter of gamesmanship. Long warranties are often more of a marketing gimmick than an indication of quality. Extremely long warranties on "low-end" products give them a shine to help boost sales.
Yes. True to an extent. They CAN be marketing gimmicks, but, marketing gimmicks or not, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If your product doesn't hold up with use, the longer the warranty, the more money you, as a manufacturer, are going to lose on it.

Manufacturers, of course, get around this dilemma with long warranties that are only good for the original purchaser or have special service requirements attached. They know that many people don't keep their car 10 years or put 100,000 miles on it, particularly those who have to keep up with the Jones' or have the latest fashion. Hyundai/Kia, for example, will allow a warranty transfer, but only to an immediate family member like mother, sister, etc...and after 5/60 it may only cover Hyundai-sourced parts in the druvetrain; the rest of the drivetrain expires at 5/60.

Some "real" premium brands only offer 3 year warranties today; examples include Ferrari, Aston Martin, and Bentley. There are no mileage limits with these but they know their typical customers accumulate low miles.
In contrast, the smallest vehicle in the American market, the Smart-for-Two, offers only 2/24, including drivetrain, despite being a Mercedes-affiliated product. It is sponsored and imported here by Penske Automotive, not Mercedes itself, although Smart dealershps usually are co-located with those of Mercedes.

Years ago, I remember arguing with a chief engineer where I work about this. He was convinced Chrysler products were the most reliable cars on the road because they came with a 10/100 drivetrain warranty. I made the marketing argument. We never came eye to eye on it. It's hard to convince people about some things.
Back in the early-mid 60's Chrysler products, drivetrain-wise, WERE the most reliable American-made cars (Chrysler ws the first company, back then, to introduce 1/12 on the whole vehicle and 5/50 on the drivetrain), but that was a long time ago. In the 1970's, they went seriously downhill, and Chrysler, despite some occasional long warranties in the meantime, has never really recovered their former place in history 40 years ago. In fact, since the 1960's, they have done some of the WORST in reliability. The Omni/Horizon and virtually all of the K-Car-based products of the 80s/early 90s were a joke. The only good thing to come out of the Chrysler lineup of that era (in 1984) was the concept of the modern front-engine minivan, which, though unreliable, ended up replacing station wagons of the era.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-08 at 02:26 PM.