Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Tiptronic Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Tiptronic Quattro

By CL member request, a review of the 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/models.html

In a Nutshell: Not quite as crisp-handling as the BMW 3-series, some annoying dash controls, but plush, versatile, and well-finished with superb materials.

(Aluminum-trim interior shown)

I got some specific CL requests to review the new 2009 Audi A4, and, as they are readily available now in my area, decided to check one out today. The 2009 represents a mild redesign from the 2008 model, and, like in the past, still is built off of the same platform shared with the new VW Passat (the regular Passat sedan/wagon, not the new Passat specialty CC coupe).

In the American market, the new 2009 A4 is offered in a number of different versions. The 2.0T (turbo) sedan comes in manual/Quattro (AWD) and Tiptronic 6-speed automatic/Quattro versions. The 3.2L V6 sedan comes with Tiptronic/Quattro. A Front-drive, 2.0T CVT (Continuously Variable transmission) version is coming early next year. A4 Avant wagons are available in the 2.0T Tiptronic/Quattro version. The high-performance S4 and RS4 are also available (though the RS4 may be very limited production) with much more aggressive engines/drivetrains/chassis, but I won't go into them in detail here.....that's not the intent or purpose of this review.

Audi offers quite a number of options and packages for the new A4...you really have to look closely at each one and see what you are getting, as some of them not only have a long list of equipment but also can be quite pricey. There are a number of interior color-trim options, and several different Sport/chassis packages. The "Prestige" package, especially, is expensive (over $7000), and the dealership where I was at had a couple of specially-built, "Prestige Edition" A4s that listed for over 60K (no, there weren't S4s or RS4's either). Even the salespeople said, in a rare moment of honesty, that neither the Prestige package or the Prestige Edition were worth the money, even though part of what you got was a sophisitcated, electronically-adjustable powertrain/steering/suspension program.

So.....back to the everyday A4's. I chose a white, beige-interior/light-wood trim, 2.0T/Tiptronic/Quattro AWD model because I not only liked the interior trim, but figured that this particular model would appeal to the widest cross-section of possible A4 buyers. I posted the pictures above, however, of the metallic-trim interiors (which were also sharp and well-done) because I couldn't find a good Google image to post of the specific interior I reviewed (I don't have a digital camera of the skills to use/download one).

At first, I honestly was disappointed at Audi's decision, this year, to drop the superb DSG transmission (I consider the DSG to be one of the best transmissions in the auto industry). The DSG was an ultra-smooth, ultra-efficient, multi-clutch, computer-operated, manual/automatic transmission that did not have a fluid-filled torque converter and, thus, combined efficiency, power, and smoothness in one great package. It did not have the rough-shifting characteristics that other computer-operated manuals like BMW's SMT did. Audi did not completely phase out the DSG this year, but restricted it to the A3 and TT.....why, I have no idea, unless it was the old bugaboo of cost-cutting, as the DSG was complex to manufacture and repair. Audi made some other irritsting cost-cuting moves in the A4 this year, too (you'll read about them below), but the bean counters can be forgiven, to some extent, by the A4's superlative interior/exterior quality and trim (you'll also read about that below).

After driving the new Tiptronic A4, the Tiptronic wasn't as much of a letdown from the DSG as I expected, mainly due to the 2.0T engine's abundant power, but the more conventional, fluid-filled torque-converter Tiptronic and AWD did blunt the engine's performance a little (you'll read about that below, too). But the A4 is a nice car, any way you look at it. Only two things about it really irritated me (and, yes, I'll let you read about
those below, too).

So, let's read..............

Model Reviewed: 2009 Audi 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic

Base Price: $32,700

Major Options:

Premium Plus Package: $4000

Wood Interior Trim; $400

Destination/Freight: $825 (This is higher than the normal $600-700)

List price as reviewed: $37,925

Drivetrain: AWD, longitudionally-mounted 2.0 FSI Turbo in-line 4, 211 HP @ 4300-5000 RPM, Torque 258 ft.lbs @ 1500-4200 RPM,
6-speed Tiptronic automatic with Sport and auto-shift modes.

EPA Mileage Ratings: 17 City, 27 Highway

Exterior Color: Ibis White

Interior: Beige leather, Almond Beige wood trim

PLUSSES:

Torquey, non-peaky 2.0T engine.

Smooth, slick-shifting Tiptronic transmission.

Easy-to-use, no-nonsense shifter.

Seamless Quattro AWD system.

Smooth, effective brakes.

Low wind noise.

Good oil filter location.

Superlative interior hardware/materials/fit-and-finish.

Smooth, slick exterior fit/finish with superb materials.

Excellent, smooth paint job.

Relatively nice paint-color choice.

Nice selection of interior trim colors/patterns.

Clear, legible gauges.

Clever multi-position arm rest/console cover.

Tank-solid body sheet metal and doors.

Numerous safety features (but some are options).

Improving reliability record.

Adequate legroom, front and rear.

Thick underhood insulation pad.

Fairly well-finished cargo area.

Trunk lid opens vertically for access.

Friendly, classy, up-market dealerships (in my area).

A4 Avant Wagon model available for more versatility.

Many sport/interior/chassis option packages available (and they can be expensive).

MINUSES:

Unnecessarily complex, frustrating video screen/stereo phone controls.

Relatively short 4/50 warranty (includes first maintenance) typical of some European manufacturers.

Ungainly, overly-large grille.

Moderate body roll.

Road/tire noise.

Temporary spare tire.

Battery covered by spare tire.

Extra charge for metallic/pearl paint typical of European manufacturers.

Poor underhood layout.

No oil dipstick.

No remote release for rear seats.

Somewhat noisy mufflers.

Marginal head room for tall people.

Higher-than-normal freight charge at delivery.

Unmarked steering wheel buttons.

Turbo engine requires expensive synthetic oil and premium gas.

EXTERIOR:

As you walk up to the new A4, It is generally a handsome car, with nice lines, contours and styles, with one exception (IMO). Audi still persists with its characteristic oversized, trapezoidal grille that looks like a tuna sucking wind. Mitsubishi has copied the basic design for their new Lancer series and somehow managed to make their version even more gross-looking (see my recent review of the Lancer Ralliart).

Grille aside, this is, IMO, a good-looking car, even in the Avant wagon version. It has semi-consevatively designed body lines (which I like), without a lot of aero-sweepback or extreme roof rakes, although the roof does rake enough to compromise some headroom (more on this below). The rear end and taillights, IMO, are very handsome, with a touch of Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai styling combined. The body sheet metal, in the tradition of upmarket German auto manufacturers, is tank-solid. Panel assembly and fit is precise, with very thin gaps. Doors, hood, and trunk lid all close with a heavy, solid, "thunk", and swing on solid, precise hinges. The paint job is really first-rate, with the plain white on my test car showing virtually zero orange-peel (a slight amount is present with the darker colors). The finish of the body panels themselves is mirror-smooth and slick as a baby's butt. A number of nice paint colors are offered, most of them slightly on the dull side but still classy. Two slightly different shades of bright red are offered; one for the high-performance S4 and another, almost identical one, for the regular A4. Exterior trim and hardware is superb, almost flawless. The outside mirrors have thick, high-quality housings and swivel/lock into place smoothly and easily. Everything is solidly attached and extremely well-finished, with no rough edges anywhere (I remember door trim so poorly-cut, finished, and attached on my late father's 1968 Plymouth that it would actually gouge you if you weren't careful). Even the one ugly (IMO) exterior part, the grille, has superbly-finished, chrome bars and Audi four-ring logo across it that feel like they were done and installed by Swiss Watch-makers. There are a number of different wheel/tire packages available, most of them having handsome, five-spoke, mag-type designs. The ground clearance of the lower-body panels is rather low, necessitating some care over speed bumps and ramps, but that is more or less uniform for this type of sedan nowadays. All in all, a superb job on the outside...if they would just toss that circus-clown, Bucky-Beaver grille.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the extremely well-finished, rock-solid hood, and it is held up by a proper gas strut on the right-middle side. I wasn't impressed with the underhood layout. The longitudionally-mounted 2.0L turbo four is stuck in pretty tight and has an enormous plastic cover that hides just about everything on the top of the engine. Most of the components on the sides of the engine are hard to access, both because of the tightness of the engine's fit and the design of the block itself. Many components to the left and right are also blocked by underhood panels and covers, although some basic reservoirs and filler caps are accessable. A notable omission (new for 2009) is the lack of a oil dipstick, the Audi designers having decided that oil-monitoring-sensors and simple laziness on the part of owners are better than simply looking at a dipstick and changing your oil every few months. Being a turbo motor, of course, it uses synthetic oil, which can handle high operating temperatures better than conventional petroleum-based oil. Call me unduly old-fashioned if you want, but I'm still a firm believer in getting off your a** once every couple of weeks, looking at your own dipstick, and changing the oil every 3-5 months/3000-5000 miles depending on driving conditions. Even with the more expensive synthetics, the oil itself doesn't break down with time, but the additives/detergent packages in the oil do.

It isn't all bad news under the hood, though............there are some good features. The underside of the hood has a nice, thick, high-quality insulation pad, which does help to quell engine noise in spite of the fairly loud exhaust. The alternator is reasonably accessable, on the forward/right side of the engine block under the plastic cover. The ABS computer and hardware are easily accesable to the side and uncovered. And the oil filter location is in a nice place.....right up front, high on the engine block, just behind the top of the radiator. But it faces down, may drip oil on the engine as it comes off, and the plastic engine cover has to come off to reach and unscrew it.

INTERIOR:

With a couple of exceptions, the interior is as superb as the exterior, especially in workmanship and fit/finish. Its general looks and layout is not much different from those of other recent Audis. The seats are quite comfortable, and have a wide range of adjustment, which is necessary with the drivers's seat for tall people like me to get under the low-hanging sunroof housing. Headroom is OK up front for people my side with the seat cushion all the way down; marginal but barely OK in back. Smaller adults should have no problem. Legroom is OK front and back, but not huge.

There were only three things inside that were frustrating or I didn't like, and I'll get them out of the way now so I can dwell on the interior's many nice features. Two were minor. One was some of the steering wheel buttons/rollers were unmarked, so you had to guess as to their function until you got used to them. The other was the seat leather.....like the Mercedes C-300/350 vs. C63 AMG, the base A4 gets a cheaper, rougher, textured-grade of leather that is nowhere near as smooth or plush looking/feeling as in the S4. I saw EXACTLY the same difference in the C-class leather grades last week; the C300 had the same leather my A4 had, while the AMG leather package was plush and smooth like the S4. The Jaguar XR also had the same textured grainy leather (but otherwise, like the A4, a superb interior finish)...I suspect that Jaguar, Mercedes, and Audi all get their leather from the same source.

Anyhow, though, those two were minor, and no big deal. But the one interior feature I REALLY didn't like, and listed as the #1 complaint on the MINUS column above, was the complex and frustrating video-screen/stereo controls. Even though my test car was a non-NAV model and didn't have the notoriously complex Audi MMI controller, I still found the screen and stereo controls/adjustments very complex and frustrating, even to do something as simple as select and choose a radio station. Many of the stereo buttons/***** are poorly marked and difficult to precisely adjust.The climate-control buttons/***** were a little easier to deal with, but still on the complex side.

OK........now that that's out of the way, the rest of the interior, like the Jaguar XR, is truly superb, especially with the beige/wood trim versions, though the metallic aluminum-trim is also very classy and well-done. The gauges are clear, well-done, and legible. The manual-tilt/telescope steering wheel has a nice feel to both the spokes and the smooth leather wrapping. All of the hardware, even the frustrating video-stereo controls, is solid, well-attached, and first-rate. The headliner, often a cheap point in a lot of cars, is a nice material. The power-door/window/mirror switches are solid and substantial. The center-console arm rest/cubbyhole cover is not only solid, with a SOLID latch (many cars have a junk flimsy latch), but has a cleverly-designed lid that angles in numerous positions for however you choose to rest your right elbow....it can tilt up, down, or forward/back a number of different ways. The trim is beautiful, solidly attached, and, just like on the outside, finished as smooth as a mirror. I didn't like the actual wood patterns or colors quite as much as the Jaguar XR's incredibly good natural matte-Walnut, but it was finished and installed just as well. The aluminum trim was also first-rate, and extremely well-done and fitted. The parking brake was, like the Jaguar's, a big, metal, circular button on the console. The stereo, which includes satellite radio, had an excellent sound quality, once you got past the complex, frustrating controls.

All in all, a superb interior, but showing a little of the cost-cutting in leather that you see in a lot of upmarket cars these days. But, this is not surprising........Audi and Jaguar have been two of the auto manufacturers most noted for their nice interior materials.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the solid, well-finished trunk lid, and you find a generally well-shaped and roomy trunk. The sloping roofline, like on most sedans these days, cuts into some, but not a great deal of the opening itself. Though the lid does not have the scissors-type, articulated trunk hinges that allow greater lid-motion, nevertheless, it still goes up past vertical for better load access. And the hinges have two big, finished-plastic covers that fit over the metal hinges on each side, a nice touch that I haven't seen on many cars. They help keep the metal hinges from scarring luggage. Snap-off compartments on each side of the trunk wall allow access to wiring, sockets, and bulbs. The trunk floor and walls are finished in a thin but plush-looking/feeling grade of dark gray carpet. And, of course, if more cargo room is desired in back, you can always consider the Avant wagon model, which increases rear cargo-room and flexibility considerably.

There are a couple of downsides, though. There are no remote seat-back releases for the fold-down backs of the front seats like in some upmarket vehicles, so you have to do it through the two rear doors. In the base A4, there is no center pass-through for long, thin items (it is available with option packages). Until last year, Audi (properly) used a full-sized spare tire/wheel in the A4 (fitting for a car in this class), but this year the bean-counters decided to stick in an El Cheapo temporary spare. The salespeople tried to B.S. the excuse that temporary spares were lighter, and it was a weight saving issue. Nonsense. A good alloy wheel doesn't weigh any more than a steel temporary one.......the temporary one is just cheaper. And where did they decide to put the battery? Not only in the trunk like many other cars do, but UNDER the temporary spare. Go figure.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.0L turbo four with a plastic electronic "key" inserted into a vertical rectangular hole, and, with foot on the brake, push the "key" forward. The computer takes a couple seconds to energize, then the engine fires up smoothly and is fairly quiet at idle. With a turbo, of course, you want to let it warm up a little, even with the synthetic oil, and get the turbo bearings well-lubed before you take off (it was a rather blustery, cold, 45-degree morning in the D.C. area, with a breeze). The engine, once under way, has plenty of low and mid-range torque, and, even with the added weight/drag of the Quattro AWD system and the conventional torque-converter Tiptronic automatic (I really miss the DSG), would easily get out of its own way....you can feel a significant shove in the back. The VW/Audi 2.0L turbo has long been a favorite of the automotive press, and it shows. With acceleration, though, the nice, smooth, quiet idle turns into a rather noisy exhaust drone....a little louder than my tastes normally like. It was not quite as loud as on the Mercedes C63 AMG last week, however, and whether it is too loud or not for a sedan of this type is a debatable point (I'm sure that a number of you will have your opinions). But, otherwise, it is hard to fault this engine. It has V6 torque at RPMs as low as 1500, plenty of pulling power, and reasonably good fuel economy considering what is is hauling around. And the exhaust noise, of course can be addresed with different mufflers.

The Tiptronic 6-speed automatic transmission, though not as efficient or seamless as the DSG, was, nevertheless, smooth, quiet, and reasonably responsive. There are no paddle-shifters unless you get the Sport or other advanced option packages. But the shifter itself is nice and easy to use, with a slick, snappy motion....it flips straight forward/back, without any of that nonsense zig-zag crap, with a Sport mode and auto-manual-shift gate to the right. The fluid-filled torque-converter, though, along with the AWD system, saps some of the engine's performance (more so than the super-efficient DSG). But, as mentioned earlier, this little pocket-rocket of an engine still, in spite of that, has enough power to shove you in the back. I've driven/reviewed the 2.0L turbo in a number of different VW/Audi products and configurations, and, like much of the auto press, I have yet to be displeased wth it...it's a real pleasure to drive. At low and medium engine speeds, the 2.0T actually out-torques the larger 3.2L normally-aspirated V6, which doesn't catch up till later with its higher top-end HP.

The A4's chassis/suspension/steering, like most German sedans, is generally well-done, with a relatively good combination of ride/handling, although it is not quite as sharp or snappy-handling as that of the BMW 3-Series. This, of course, is not surprising, as the 3-series is generally considered the class benchmark. The A4's ride, with the standard, non-Sport package, while no Lincoln Town car, is reasonably smooth and compliant over bumps, with little harshness, and the steering response, while not as fast or telepathic in feel as the 3-series, is reasonably smooth and quick. Body roll, a little more than I expected for a contemporary German sedan, was in the slight-to-moderate range, but not excessive, and the Quattro AWD shows its stuff in gripping the pavement and helping to keep the car steady through corners. Come winter, of course, and even on ordinary wet roads in rain, the Quattro also shows its stuff. There are good reasons why AWD is becoming more and more popular every year, especially in wet or snowy areas.

Wind and engine noise are both well-sealed, with only the aforementioned exhaust noise getting into the cabin. A fair amount of road/tire noise comes in, perhaps from the tire tread pattern and the rather thin carpet-insulation in the trunk. Brakes are generally well-done, with smooth response, a small but significant amount of initial sponginess (they are not quite BMW-firm), fairly good stopping power, numerous electronic safety features, and a pedal that is well-designed and doesn't give my big clown-shoe, size-15 feet any hang-ups going from the gas/brake pedals. The high-performance S4 and RS4 get Brembo brakes; the rest of the A4 line gets regular Audi systems.

There was one small assembly defect in my test car, audible on the road.....a small squeaking/groaning noise in the power steering when the wheel was turned significantly (not all the way to the stops, where a groaning noise is normal). I couldn't tell if the noise was coming from the power steering pump/pulley/belt or the interior steering staft and its housing (The brochure doesn't say if the steering is electric or hydraulic). It appears to be a random goof on my particular car, and not a design fault.

THE VERDICT:

Audi has done a nice job on the new A4, and, overall, I was pleased with it. It combines a relatively nice chassis with a super-well-finished interior, superlative trim/hardware inside and out, AWD traction/stability, a reasonable price for an AWD vehicle in this class, Its steering, handling, and brakes, while generally good, are not quite up to BMW 3-Series levels, but the new A4 smokes the 3-series in interior/exterior finish and build solidness. It also smokes the Mercedes C-class in interior fit/finish, and about equals it on the outside. It about equals the superb Jaguar XF in interior quality.....at a much lower price. It also, of course, offers Avant wagon versions for versatility and S4/RS4 versions for the performance minded.....at a price, of course. A4 reliability, as that of other Audis, after years of being below-average, especally in electronics, seems to finally be improving.

But there are some flies in the ointment as well. Audi, with the new 2009 model, had a chance to simplify its notoriously complex stereo/NAV controls....and didn't, even on non-NAV/MMI models. The decision to go to a temporary spare tire this year was, IMO, an insult. The marketers at Audi (as those at some other manufacturers as well) have quietly downgraded the leather in all but their top-line versions, another subtle form of cost-cutting, hoping we wouldn't notice......I did notice. And an oil dipstick clearly needs to go back under the hood....I, for one, won't trust something as critical as oil, the engine's life blood, to a couple of dime-store sensors.

So, there you have it.....the car's good points and its bad ones. If it's just AWD tracton you want, there are vehicles (notably Subarus) that can get you through all-weather conditions at a fraction of the A4's price, but of course they lack the Audi's superb interior and German-chassis enginering. The A4 is a good choice for those who want German-sedan class, AWD traction, and a reasonable price (if the car lacks the expensive packages). The slightly lower-priced VW Passat, with German engineering and VW's 4Motion syatem (essentially the same as Audi's Quattro) is also available at a slightly lower price, but the price is close enough that, given the choice, I'd take the much nicer Audi interior).

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-29-08 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 05:49 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. I have seen a red 2009 Audi A4 2.0T in the Anaheim auto show and it was very very good looking both inside and out. Particularly interior, blew me away and certainly exceeds that of 3, IS, G, and C.
Old 10-29-08, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Thanks for the review.
Sure. Anytime.

I have seen a red 2009 Audi A4 2.0T in the Anaheim auto show and it was very very good looking both inside and out. Particularly interior, blew me away and certainly exceeds that of 3, IS, G, and C.
Which interior did you look at...do you remember? All of the A4 interiors are nice, but the beige/wood trim versions, to my tastes, are the richest-looking ones. I agree with you....they are the best interiors in their class, if you consider the Jaguar XF to be one step above the A4's class. A4s also have superb exterior sheet metal, fit/finish, and trim quality as well.........all except for that silly oversized grille.
Old 10-29-08, 11:10 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I wont agree with you on a mild redisign, its a completly new platform shared with the a5/s5 the b7 a4 shared its chassi with the passat. no dsg for the new a4 because audi is still developing a new dsg tranny that will work with the q5 as well i hope its a 7spd!!
Old 10-30-08, 12:01 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

Which interior did you look at...do you remember? All of the A4 interiors are nice, but the beige/wood trim versions, to my tastes, are the richest-looking ones. I agree with you....they are the best interiors in their class, if you consider the Jaguar XF to be one step above the A4's class. A4s also have superb exterior sheet metal, fit/finish, and trim quality as well.........all except for that silly oversized grille.
The red A4 I sat in had a beige interior. And the black A5 I sat in had a black interior. Both looked superb.
Old 10-30-08, 12:20 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Looks like Audi has a nice competitor in the "compact" sedan class.
I particularly like the fact that the A4 is larger inside (especially in the rear) than the BMW 3, as a proper sedan should be able to accommodate real people in the back seats as well.

Their 2.0L turbo is kept down to avoid overpowering their V6 - there are aftermarket packages available that will take horsepower to 300-340 level on 93 octane, so Audi is just stalling on making (some of) that available until they give the V6 a shot in the arm to catch up to the level of the competition (God knows when that will happen, though). The V6 is not expecially underpowered, but why it commands a premium over a (slightly) weaker engine with more torque, I don't know. Their V6 should be making at least 280 hp (at 3.2L displacement) and ideally, should match 335i's output to command a price premium over the 2.0T.

Synthetic oil is probably to keep the turbo bearings alive and well (I don't think that it makes a difference for the engine).

About temporary spares (in general)... I think that with ever-tightening crash standards pressuring for increases in chassis rigidity we are seeing less usable space inside for the same outside size. This, combined with larger and wider wheels and tires, necessitates the use of run-flat tires (as in BMWs) and temp spares (most everyone else) to leave some room in the trunk for the junk. I don't particularly like this trend myself, but it seems fairly uniform throughout the industry .

Enjoyable review as always... keep up the good work.
Old 10-30-08, 01:08 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

As far as platforms go, the A4 is built on the new $1 Billion B8 architecture that also will underpin a host of other VAG products. The new CC is built on the same B6 platform as the current Passat.

Great review, nonetheless (hardly suprising). I really appreciate your honest and noteworthy critiques. It's a breath of fresh air from the magazines, who seem to only focus on 0-60 times, rarely taking the time to carefully examine the exterior body/paint quality and interior fit/finish.

Thank you Sir, for your dedication! We all appreciate it.
Old 10-30-08, 03:45 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

AS always, GREAT review. I drove the 3.2 during the traveling road show a few months back and the 2.0 is much more a driver's car. I can say the style has now worn on me and I do not see it standing out from the previous design. Although nice, your review on the interior is accurate- second rate leather. It's a fine car, but not what I was measuring it against.

I can safely say if I had purchased in August I would not be as happy as I thought. Glad I waited and drove the 5-series- INCREDIBLE!! And in Milwaukee, deals are amazing: 2 2007 550is with NO miles (ie NEW) at $45K out the door....

Great review MM... thx!!!
Old 10-30-08, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
I wont agree with you on a mild redisign, its a completly new platform shared with the a5/s5 the b7 a4 shared its chassi with the passat. no dsg for the new a4 because audi is still developing a new dsg tranny that will work with the q5 as well i hope its a 7spd!!
OK...by your description, I'll accept the label of a more major redesign, but I guess it depends on how you define the term. It will still share the new platform with some VW products, as most Audis do. And the styling of the body itself, while somewhat different from the 2008 A4, is not that hugely different that I would call it a complete styling redesign. It is, however, more handsome than the 2008 (IMO)...all except for that silly oversized grille.

We know a FWD CVT version is coming (that's verified in the Audi literature).........and I hope you are right about a new DSG tranny (the Audi people didn't say anything about that, but I'll take your word on that). IMO, you can't beat the DSG for all-around competence. Its one weak point is its complexity and difficulty of repair. The Tiptronic on my test car , as I stated in the review, was nice, smooth, and fairly flexible, but it simply doesn't have the efficiency or the response of the DSG.

As far as 7 speeds go, I don't entirely agree. Based on the (admittedly) limited experience I've had with Mercedes 7-speed and Lexus 8-speed transmissions, in my view, anything over 5 or 6 speeds, for most street cars, is unnecessary and, to some extent, overkill. Usually (though not always,) by the time you get to about 6 speeds or so, the gear ranges, ratios, and spacing in between, is good enough that adding more gears just complicates things and makes the transmission unnecessarily complex. And, besides that, the more gears you add, the closer the ratios between gears get, and the closer you get to a CVT, with NO (or infinite) gear ratios....so, by that time, you might as well just give up and just use a CVT to start with. CVTs used to be primarily for small economy cars because of their torque and durability limitations, but the more recent ones have been able to handle larger engines and more torque.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-08 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein

Enjoyable review as always... keep up the good work.
Thanks. I certainly will.

Looks like Audi has a nice competitor in the "compact" sedan class.
I particularly like the fact that the A4 is larger inside (especially in the rear) than the BMW 3, as a proper sedan should be able to accommodate real people in the back seats as well.
The A4's interior, in general, blows the 3-Series away, in looks as well as room, but the 3-series is definitely crisper-handling, with better steering feel, than the A4, and has slightly more quickly-responding brakes. That may or may not be the case, however, with the S4/RS4....I didn't drive one to compare, as that was not the review request.

Their 2.0L turbo is kept down to avoid overpowering their V6 - there are aftermarket packages available that will take horsepower to 300-340 level on 93 octane, so Audi is just stalling on making (some of) that available until they give the V6 a shot in the arm to catch up to the level of the competition (God knows when that will happen, though). The V6 is not expecially underpowered, but why it commands a premium over a (slightly) weaker engine with more torque, I don't know. Their V6 should be making at least 280 hp (at 3.2L displacement) and ideally, should match 335i's output to command a price premium over the 2.0T.
The 2.0T is sure not strangled very much. It actually out-torques the 3.2L in some RPM ranges, particularly down low, starting at only 1500.

Most of the current production V6s making 280-300 HP are in the 3.5L-3.7L class, most notably from Nissan/Infiniti and Honda/Acura. You also have to remember that, for most acceleration purposes, torque is more important than HP. HP is more of an indication of all-out top speed capability. That's why the 2.0L Turbo is so zippy. Its HP figure of 211 is not all that high, but its 258 ft-lbs. of torque, at only 1500 RPM, gives it some real zip.

Synthetic oil is probably to keep the turbo bearings alive and well (I don't think that it makes a difference for the engine).
Defintely....that almost goes without saying. Almost every production turbo car today needs synthetic, or at least turbo-approved dino oil. Another great help, besides intercoolers, has been the development of water-cooled turbo housings, which keep the turbo operating temperatures down closer to actual engine coolant temperature and doesn't cook the oil as much.

About temporary spares (in general)... I think that with ever-tightening crash standards pressuring for increases in chassis rigidity we are seeing less usable space inside for the same outside size. This, combined with larger and wider wheels and tires, necessitates the use of run-flat tires (as in BMWs) and temp spares (most everyone else) to leave some room in the trunk for the junk. I don't particularly like this trend myself, but it seems fairly uniform throughout the industry .
I'm not sure I entirely agree. Most of the temporary spares you see today sit in circular wells easily big enough for real tires. This, to me, indicates that, in some markets the car is sold in, they actually DO use real spares, either because of public pressure or government regulations. They probably don't do it in America anymore because they figure the public no longer demands it (mmarshall doesn't necessarily speak for 150 million car-buyers), the Government has been mum on the subject, and they will save a few $$$ on every car they produce if possible.

Also, another contributing factor is that with widespread cell-phone use and the fact that virtually all automakers today offer roadside assistance for several years, in many cases, a tow truck operator will come by and either put the tire on for you or drag you to the nearest tire shop. But the main reason, when you get to the bottom line, still appears to be the $$$$ saved on each car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-08 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
As far as platforms go, the A4 is built on the new $1 Billion B8 architecture that also will underpin a host of other VAG products. The new CC is built on the same B6 platform as the current Passat.

Thanks. I knew the CC platform was not quite the same as the regular A4's. The new A4 platform is close to, but not quite the same as the Passat.....as drunk dave pointed out above.

Great review, nonetheless (hardly suprising). I really appreciate your honest and noteworthy critiques. It's a breath of fresh air from the magazines, who seem to only focus on 0-60 times, rarely taking the time to carefully examine the exterior body/paint quality and interior fit/finish.

Thank you Sir, for your dedication! We all appreciate it.
Thanks. There's a reason why I structure my reviews this way. Like you, I notice that auto magazines (especially the "enthusiast" ones) tend to focus on sport-oriented characteristics and max-performance times, often neglecting the rest of the car itself. Same with some of the newspaper reviews, which often are vague and say little about the actual car itself. My purpose is to give you a thorough stem-to-stern description of the vehicle and let you know, in detail, just what you're getting for your money. That, of course, and the fact that I typically review and drive brand-new cars on public roads, where you are not going to be driving like Michael Shumacher or Jeff Gordon anyway.
Old 10-30-08, 07:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

great, thorough review.

IMO, this car kills the 3/IS/G cars in looks+style...only the engine choices ever so slightly hold this car back, but that should change for 2010.

I think all cars should have runflats and no spare...I ran over a huge bolt and it completely depressurized a Corvette tire at about 118mph....I had no problems slowing down and inspecting the tire...even tho it had 0 psi, I continued on to work and later drove the car to have the tire repaired.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-30-08 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
AS always, GREAT review.
Great review MM... thx!!!

Thanks. More coming up...the new Cadillac CTS-V is on the list, IF I can get a hold of one, but I may save that one for the special holiday review in December.

I drove the 3.2 during the traveling road show a few months back and the 2.0 is much more a driver's car. I can say the style has now worn on me and I do not see it standing out from the previous design. Although nice, your review on the interior is accurate- second rate leather. It's a fine car, but not what I was measuring it against.
Yes, the 2.0 does have more zip down low. At higher speeds, though, the 3.2's greater HP catches up to it....see my response to Vlad Stein above.

The A4's marketers did the same thing that Mercedes did with the C-Class and Jaguar did with the XF. The smooth, sikly, plush leather (which used to come on all of their models) is now reserved for only the top-line versions or as options.....the S4, C63 AMG, etc.....

The rest of the A4's interior, though, apart from the always-frustrating stereo/video controls, is first-rate, just like the Jaguar's.

I can safely say if I had purchased in August I would not be as happy as I thought. Glad I waited and drove the 5-series- INCREDIBLE!! And in Milwaukee, deals are amazing: 2 2007 550is with NO miles (ie NEW) at $45K out the door....

The 550i is a superb sports sedan, no question about it. It is one of my two favorite BMW's, along with the 335i and 335xi. But it costs some $$$$$$, especially new (the new one I reviewed was around 65K). And it (as of now) does not have an xi AWD version in the American market.......something to consider in those Wisconsin winters you live in.
Old 10-30-08, 08:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Glad I waited and drove the 5-series- INCREDIBLE!! And in Milwaukee, deals are amazing: 2 2007 550is with NO miles (ie NEW) at $45K out the door....
not to go off topic but....

a new 550i for $45K OTD?? meaning including TT&L?

a 550 MSRP is approx $66K, so they're discounting it about $25K???
Old 10-30-08, 08:19 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mmarshall,

As I was one of the requestors of this review, a special Thank YOU for taking the time and sharing what you observed. You’re a good man!

Just to level set, before getting my IS (which I luv!) I had a ’98 A4Q for over 8 years. In fact before purchasing my IS, the last car in the running was a 2005.5 A4Q.

I really enjoyed the review and starting with the exterior (the only part I’ve seen when doing Sunday car lot strolls) I’d say you and I are aligned 100%. And while I also agree the A4 grill is definitely an “acquired taste” , I would also add that I think the car has a lot of interesting lines and cues upfront that draw at least some of our attention away from the grill which IMHO puts it on the acceptable side. I’m sure opinions will vary.

For everyday driving my impression of the IS vs the ’98 A4 are that the IS feels much more tossable and lighter on its feet, where as my ’98 A4 felt more planted and confidence inspiring. Both fun in their own way, but certainly different.

In the past I know you reviewed the IS and now that you’ve driven the 09 A4Q out on the road, how would you say they compare?

One last thought that I feel compelled to comment on..
Originally Posted by mmarshall
my big clown-shoe, size-15 feet
Dang! That’s a shoe size that commands respect!

Thanks again,

TripleL

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Tiptronic Quattro