Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OCTOBER 2008 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 09:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
It's true that Acura and Infiniti are in the tank. But so is Lexus so I doubt that them selling more numbers is any consolation to them in view of the 38% plunge they have experienced as well as the month-over-month declines they've had for the last 2-3 months. Only a precious few makers are seeing any increase at all right now and even those increases are marginal.

And how can the G37 sedan even be a factor yet since it only just went on sale?

The ugly truth is that these are dire times for the entire economy. Similar to the airline industry in the wake of 9/11 the auto industry is struggling to survive through this. And I'm afraid that, just like the airline industry, there will be some casualties (either in terms of individuals models or entire companies) before it's improves.

ALL of them are trying to get people into the showrooms and deals are the way to do it.
Selective reading you some of you? I quote MYSELF, post 14.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus got hit in the head!!! Down 38% month to month!!! Down 18% for the year, with 220k units sold.

98 SC 430s were sold! Only 819 GSs. Wow.
The difference is, Lexus only ALL new models this year are the IS-F and LX 570 which sell in limited quantities. Acura has a new TSX/TL and the RDX, a supposed volume seller, is only out a year and change. INfiniti also has an all new EX and FX THIS YEAR.

Infiniti/Lexus share MMC for the G37 and IS. I was wrong, both were not sold last month so that was incorrect on my part.

Acura and INfiniti have much more aggresive lease/finance rates compared to Lexus. Will Lexus follow? They might have to.

Old 11-04-08, 09:20 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no matter what the economy, people still buy more gas-guzzling RX's than any other lex model.
Old 11-04-08, 09:25 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like GM's Employee Pricing pulled some of its Fall/Winter sales forward. GM really got hammered. GMAC's restrictive lending probably contributed alot to the problem.

Based on the compiled numbers, here's how the mainstream companies performed... (All numbers based on DSR and includes all respective divisions.)

Toyota -25.9%
Honda -28.0%
Ford -32.7%
Nissan -35.4%
Hyundai -36.9%
Chrysler -37.4%
GM -47.0%

Last edited by RX300-BV; 11-04-08 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-04-08, 09:35 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Truck and SUV sales continue to fall off a cliff
Full size truck sales is actually a bright spot for Ford with it's new 2009 F150 out. Here's a comparison on how the big trucks fared. Dodge also has their new redesigned 2009 Ram out.

Ford F-series 43,324 -16.3%
Chevy Silverado &Avalanche 33,289 -38.6%
Dodge Ram 17,626 -28.7%
GMC Sierra 11,256 -35.4%
Toyota Tundra 6,425 -65.4%
Nissan Titan 1,007 -79.9%

F-series down 16.3% sure is performing much better than the rest of the large truck group and also well above how the general market is doing. Be curious to see if full-size truck sales will rebound with gas dropping into the low to mid $2 range.

Did Toyota cut back on incentives for the Tundra? That is an extremely large drop.
Old 11-04-08, 09:57 AM
LexFather

I believe the F-series is all new, correct?

Old 11-04-08, 10:01 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Just starting to roll out. They were still pushing old inventory.
Old 11-04-08, 10:46 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

1. I don't agree. Even with a strong economy, they would fail and I've given my reasons in their respective threads. The Acuras are just too ugly for anyone. The TSX is a sub entry level car that can't sell 2k units a month. IN other words, a car cheaper than the next class up, cannot sell close to that more expensive class.

2. Hey I said Lexus got hit in the head, what more shall I say? It still nearly sold as much as Acura+Infiniti combined last month.

3. 330k in AMERICA, sorry I assumed we were posting sales goals here in this country. Not sure why we are bringing up sales worldwide. Lexus was not going to sell more than 330k cars this year in a good economy. As you stated, some of the models are older, they would not have sold as well as last year. A business that wants to just grow sales year after year is a lost business. Its about profitability and lowering costs. The Germans have chased the sales goal in America, particularly BMW with these bargain basement lease deals and class leading incentives that destroyed their profit. It was such a bad move to chase sales, BMW posted they will have a 20% reduction in volume here to become more profitable.

Acura has a new TSX/TL and the RDX, a supposed volume seller, is only out a year and change.

I am sorry YOU have not seen any ads for Infiniti but I have and have posted it in threads here. If you don't believe me, fine, but its there. I think members here know me to well to lie

Its on the homepage for goodness sakes.
http://www.infiniti.com/
1.) Well it's a good thing this is just your opinion. However, most people here would agree that if those two cars did fail, it would have more to do with the economy rather than looks. Consumers have rated looks as one of the last factors in car buying decisions. If looks was such a decision maker, people wouldn't be driving BMW's. The TSX is also the best selling car in it's class according to your list. Sure this is the worst month of sales for the TSX ever, but wasn't it for almost everyone? Acura is not immune to the slump in the economy. You are pretty much saying that they are and the reason for the sales drop is because you think they are ugly.

3.) Because the World>America. If your going to consider the RDX a new model from Acura, then you need to consider most of the Lexus lineup as new as well. The RDX is in its third model year. The TSX and TL can only be considered all-new.

Thanks for pointing out the add to me. I probably just don't have as much free time as you to watch tv or else I probably would have seen the add. However, the main reason why I didn't see the add? Because 0% financing was just release TODAY by Infiniti for the first time ever. Call them up: 800-627-4437. Whatever you were seeing before was either a local add or maybe your eyes are bad and you were seeing 0.9% financing as 0.0%.
Old 11-04-08, 10:51 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Acura and INfiniti have much more aggresive lease/finance rates compared to Lexus. Will Lexus follow? They might have to.
Infiniti, yes. Acura, no. The only special Acura has going on in my area is a 36 month lease deal of $309/mo for a base TSX with $3,579 down. None of the other Acura models in my region have any aggressive deals being offered. If it is not offered in my area, then whatever Acura may be offering in other areas (if they are) is not a nationwide deal.
Old 11-04-08, 11:00 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Selective reading you some of you? I quote MYSELF, post 14.
SICK. I read what you said in Post 14. And I'm not arguing with you. Only making the point that even though Lexus unit sales still exceeds most others they are still experiencing the bite. In terms of percentage over the year even more than some of its competitors. A 38% drop is a 38% drop no matter how you look at it.

And, in the current economy, I'm not so sure it matters if a model is new, refreshed or long in the tooth. People just don't have the money to spend. I know I don't. I'm due for a new car. More importantly, I want a new car. But there's no way I'm going to do it right now. I'm sure there are lots more people in my position.

Last edited by speedflex; 11-04-08 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-04-08, 11:09 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Yes as is the 2009 Dodge Ram.
Old 11-04-08, 11:16 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

The spins are hilarious. Now it seems "market share" is the new way to spin. Good call on the low financing.

I disagree about the X6. Its a total flop. 20k a year is not even close to reach. Doug they went from over 800 a month the last couple months to under 400. They might sell 10k in their first full year, a 50% sales target miss, ala the Infiniti EX.

Again you fail to mention that the 20k vehicle number is worldwide sales, which by no mistake is the same amount of 650i's they sell worldwide. They have a 3 series and the 6 series whether it be a X6 or 650i is a niche car. Maybe one day you will get past the hate and deal with reality. BMW is a worldwide brand, and there is no statement from BMW that says they intended to sell 20k vehicles in the US alone. They never even had the supply in the US alone to do that. If you only make 20k cars in one year for the world, how can you sell 20k in one counrty? Try this exercise, go to the infiniti dealership and try to buy an EX, then go to the BMW dealership and try to buy an X6, then report back.

-King Bimmer
Old 11-04-08, 11:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It seems like it's quite a stretch for BMW to sell 20K X6's worldwide in year one. The economy in Europe and Asia is just as bad as here in the U.S. so it's a tough sell for a pricey not too fuel efficient vehicle.

With 356 sold in Oct., at this pace they'll sell less than 4,500 in the U.S this calendar year, leaving something like 15,500 or 80% to be sold worldwide.

Personally I like the X6 but it does seem like the wrong time for it.
Old 11-04-08, 11:51 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It seems like it's quite a stretch for BMW to sell 20K X6's worldwide in year one. The economy in Europe and Asia is just as bad as here in the U.S. so it's a tough sell for a pricey not too fuel efficient vehicle.

With 356 sold in Oct., at this pace they'll sell less than 4,500 in the U.S this calendar year, leaving something like 15,500 or 80% to be sold worldwide.

Personally I like the X6 but it does seem like the wrong time for it.

In some countries there is a year wait for the X6. Check Xbimmers.com. The US is BMW's biggest single market, but the world is a big place. The X6 was released in April, so you can't use a calendar year.

-King Bimmer (Separating fact from fiction)
Old 11-04-08, 12:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
SICK. I read what you said in Post 14. And I'm not arguing with you. Only making the point that even though Lexus unit sales still exceeds most others they are still experiencing the bite. In terms of percentage over the year even more than some of its competitors. A 38% drop is a 38% drop no matter how you look at it.

And, in the current economy, I'm not so sure it matters if a model is new, refreshed or long in the tooth. People just don't have the money to spend. I know I don't. I'm due for a new car. More importantly, I want a new car. But there's no way I'm going to do it right now. I'm sure there are lots more people in my position.
Gotcha.

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Infiniti, yes. Acura, no. The only special Acura has going on in my area is a 36 month lease deal of $309/mo for a base TSX with $3,579 down. None of the other Acura models in my region have any aggressive deals being offered. If it is not offered in my area, then whatever Acura may be offering in other areas (if they are) is not a nationwide deal.
I don't even watch T.V that much and Acura had a 1.9% finance rate nationwide, on nationwide t.v. Not just some area dealer.

Old 11-04-08, 12:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
Again you fail to mention that the 20k vehicle number is worldwide sales, which by no mistake is the same amount of 650i's they sell worldwide. They have a 3 series and the 6 series whether it be a X6 or 650i is a niche car. Maybe one day you will get past the hate and deal with reality. BMW is a worldwide brand, and there is no statement from BMW that says they intended to sell 20k vehicles in the US alone. They never even had the supply in the US alone to do that. If you only make 20k cars in one year for the world, how can you sell 20k in one counrty? Try this exercise, go to the infiniti dealership and try to buy an EX, then go to the BMW dealership and try to buy an X6, then report back.

-King Bimmer

There is no statement that the 20k was worldwide. So dont' tell me I'm wrong when you can't disprove that the 20k is for the USA. No one is hating, its facts we are debating.

If you cannot debate without making attacks, your time here will cease. We have gone though this, we know you like your X6. No one in this thread is even debating or bringing up its a bad vehicle.

The facts are it sold under 400 units in October, which is 1/2 of the rate is sold over the summer. That is a failure, no matter how you slice it and try to defend it.

Quick Reply: OCTOBER 2008 Vehicles Sales