Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What you think, a new Nigerian scam??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 09:47 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What you think, a new Nigerian scam??

I have been looking for a mini-van for my parents and found this:

2005 Honda Odyssey

I wrote the gal and she sent this back so far:

Hello Will,
Thank you for your interest in purchasing my 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring, sorry for this late reply, but I'm on vacation right now.
The car is still for sale and is currently located in the shipping company warehouse from Chicago, IL. I posted the car for sale all over US(nation-wide add), so maybe you see it on other location, this is a full package from Cars.com for more exposure. The price is $4.000 the title is clean and ready to be registered under your name, i have the car from my former husband
as he lost it in the divorce trial and i have no use of it as it is a van and i want a smaller convertible, it will be a great experience for you, guess my husbands loss your gain, the only thing is that i am very busy now with my new job and all and i want to avoid headackes and complications, so i want to involve eBay Motors to participate in this transaction and supervise payment through bank account and shipping it through DAS.
In this way i have someone do everything for me and things are simpler, shipping it would not be a problem i will take care of it through DAS Express Shipping because i have some advantages and it would cost me very little, plus i want to take care of handling and insurance myself to make sure everything goes smooth and the car reaches you in the exact condition i am sending it and that is IMPECABLE and shpping taxes will not be added extra to the original price so $4.000 will be everything you pay to have it delivered to your door, after that if you want to take it to a dealership that is up to you but you will see you will love it the second you see it, the car is in mint condition, so i am sure you will purchase it, let me know if you want to move forward and send me your adress where you want it shipped and your complete name so i can forward it to the authorized personell from eBay and get the invoice to start transaction !

Waiting for your reply

Kathy Fincher

For photos and info please view my Honda Odyssey Touring
on cars: http://siy.cars.com/siy/preview/?siy...5&aff=national

Please tell what to think of this.
Old 11-02-08, 09:58 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most deff a scam lol
it's funny cause my friend was looking at s2000's.. and there was someone selling one for like $6000, the message my friend got back was very similar to the one you pasted here
Old 11-02-08, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

05 for 4000? come on, that's too obvious
Old 11-02-08, 10:03 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

SCAM! A lot of scammers are posting on craigslist and try to mention ebay to give it some credibility.
Old 11-02-08, 10:06 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck.........
Old 11-02-08, 10:11 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Well the nays have it! Thank you very much for your input and validating my skepticism.
Old 11-02-08, 10:12 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Send em a post card with this pic

Old 11-02-08, 10:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Although, I do have to say every once in a blue moon a scorn divorced women will sell her ex husbands car for an extremely cheap price. Generally though it is not that low, but just severely under market value. There was one person on NSX Prime who was able to pick up his NSX that way. Car was about $10K under value and sold within days if not hours. You'll know these legit low priced cars because they will be sold very fast. If its up for more than a couple of days then you know it is a scam.
Old 11-02-08, 10:37 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

I convinced my pops (with your help of course) that this was a nigerian scam and to just get a loan from a legitamite ad.

It had the earmarks including misspellings and just explaining way too much into details. Then again its from a woman, they do tend to spill too much.
Old 11-02-08, 10:52 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

she would get more from carmax
Old 11-02-08, 10:54 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
she would get more from carmax
That's what I figured.
Old 11-03-08, 04:27 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Yeah, just got an email again inquiring about how to pay, you would have to be a total moron to go any further.

Hello William,
Yes you will buy thru eBay but the payment method to transfer the money from you to the eBay VPP Escrow Officer is MoneyGram not Paypal. You see the eBay VPP policy is like this: - If the buyer pay us (eBay) by Paypal we pay the seller in the same payment transfer method. That means i need to have also a paypal account, but because i just moved and i'm waiting for the bank to approve my new address, my credit card's are not available for use, so i can't use paypal. When i started the transaction with eBay Vpp i selected MoneyGram like method of payment, that means you will transfer the money to the eBay VPP Agent by MoneyGram and i will be paid in the same way. You received the payment invoice from ebay ? because i received a copy and you have the instructions to pay by MoneyGram. If you do not receive the payment invoice from eBay, please let me know so i can contact them asap. I'm really sorry i can't help you in using paypal, but you have nothing to worry about this transaction, because you will send the money thru MoneyGram to the eBay agent and your money will be in eBay custody until you receive, inspect and approve or reject the vehicle. I will not touch your money. I could put you to send me the payment directly, but eBay advise the buyers and sellers to not use moneygram to pay unknown sellers, they advise to use moneygram only to pay them so i chose to use the eBay VPP services. The truck is yours, i need from you to take a decision today because if you will not be comfortable using MoneyGram, i need to talk with another buyer.
Thanks Kathy.
Old 11-03-08, 05:36 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

New? That is possibly the oldest Nigerian scam.
Old 11-03-08, 06:19 AM
fatmike
Lead Lap

Offering to ship the car is near always a scam.
Old 11-03-08, 06:21 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipicanez
I have been looking for a mini-van for my parents and found this:

2005 Honda Odyssey

I wrote the gal and she sent this back so far:

Hello Will,
Thank you for your interest in purchasing my 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring, sorry for this late reply, but I'm on vacation right now.
The car is still for sale and is currently located in the shipping company warehouse from Chicago, IL. I posted the car for sale all over US(nation-wide add), so maybe you see it on other location, this is a full package from Cars.com for more exposure. The price is $4.000 the title is clean and ready to be registered under your name, i have the car from my former husband
as he lost it in the divorce trial and i have no use of it as it is a van and i want a smaller convertible, it will be a great experience for you, guess my husbands loss your gain, the only thing is that i am very busy now with my new job and all and i want to avoid headackes and complications, so i want to involve eBay Motors to participate in this transaction and supervise payment through bank account and shipping it through DAS.
In this way i have someone do everything for me and things are simpler, shipping it would not be a problem i will take care of it through DAS Express Shipping because i have some advantages and it would cost me very little, plus i want to take care of handling and insurance myself to make sure everything goes smooth and the car reaches you in the exact condition i am sending it and that is IMPECABLE and shpping taxes will not be added extra to the original price so $4.000 will be everything you pay to have it delivered to your door, after that if you want to take it to a dealership that is up to you but you will see you will love it the second you see it, the car is in mint condition, so i am sure you will purchase it, let me know if you want to move forward and send me your adress where you want it shipped and your complete name so i can forward it to the authorized personell from eBay and get the invoice to start transaction !

Waiting for your reply

Kathy Fincher

For photos and info please view my Honda Odyssey Touring
on cars: http://siy.cars.com/siy/preview/?siy...5&aff=national

Please tell what to think of this.
There are roughly 185 words in the last "sentence"... I know English 101 isn't a pre-requisite to selling a car but........... SCAM

Quick Reply: What you think, a new Nigerian scam??