Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Venza base price = $26,695, hp = 182

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 11:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Old 11-03-08, 11:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Even Toyota Is Playing It Safe
Although Toyota says it has tailored the Venza for a very specific audience seeking an elusive combination of SUV, wagon and sedan attributes, we don't quite buy that argument. Spend even a few minutes with this crossover and you realize it's a vehicle anyone would like. It's not sporty, yet even we kind of dig it.

In a normal year, we'd expect Toyota to sell 150,000 Venzas. But 2009 is probably not going to be a normal year, so Toyota is only counting on 60,000 of you buying 2009 Toyota Venzas.

When the market recovers, don't be surprised to see a spike in Venza sales. This crossover isn't just an SUV alternative. It's a Camry done better
feels like perfect family vehicle...
Old 11-03-08, 11:47 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 740 Likes on 511 Posts

The next RX better be damn good if it doesn't want the Venza to steal sales...
Old 11-03-08, 12:45 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Venza's missing features

It appears that, in order to not steal sales from the RX350, Toyota has left off many desirable features. These would include: rain sensing wipers, 8 way power front passenger seat, memory driver's seat, driver's seat cushion length adjustment, heated/cooled front seats, and adaptive cruise control. (The Avalon offers all of the above.)
Old 11-03-08, 01:19 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rcf8000
It appears that, in order to not steal sales from the RX350, Toyota has left off many desirable features. These would include: rain sensing wipers, 8 way power front passenger seat, memory driver's seat, driver's seat cushion length adjustment, heated/cooled front seats, and adaptive cruise control. (The Avalon offers all of the above.)
I believe its a little too early to assume the above. I will wait for the spec sheets at Toyota.com to be sure.
Old 11-03-08, 01:52 PM
xioix
Racer

At first I thought the starting price was a little high, but the standard features make it very attractive
Old 11-03-08, 03:16 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The Venza also offers features not found on the Avalon. What exactly is your point? Some models will have some features, and not others.

The RX will easily be differentiated with the Venza by different performance, a totally different interior design, better quality of course, and by high-end features like heads-up display and the "****" controller for the navigation and other functions.

And as pagemaster said, don't jump to conclusions yet because you have not seen the full spec sheet for the Venza.
Old 11-03-08, 03:27 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang this thing looks good...

Makes me almost want to trade in my IS350 for one...

(keyword is "almost")
Old 11-03-08, 03:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i am pretty sure auto wipers are in... cushions are larger than in Camry btw, read for Edmunds review.

In any case, Venza seems to have more features than current RX... of course new RX will have a lot more options, what else did you expect?

Even for base 4cly, price/feature ratio is crazy good for Venza.... yes, you can spend 40k on it, but 27k will be enough to get really well equipped vehicle.

p.s. it seems that 2010 Venza will get USB connection slot for usb sticks, probably toyota/lexus nav's are going to be upgraded with this new feature...
Old 11-03-08, 04:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

If Toyota follows the same formula with Venza/RX that they do with Camry/ES350 they should do fine. They seem to have that strategy down pretty well.
Old 11-03-08, 04:32 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been trying to follow the Venza pretty closely. It'll be the top vehicle I recommend for my parents when my dad is ready to let go of his Sienna.
Old 11-03-08, 05:33 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy101
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=134972#2

I was expecting a bit more hp, seeing as how the 2.5L in the RAV4 makes 179 hp.
Is this official, since the same 2.7L AR 4 banger in the Highlander is rated much more, directly from Toyco:

We're sure you're aware that the Highlander has been one of Toyota's most popular vehicles, setting the standard for car-based SUVs in innovation, comfort and sales. We want to continue leading the way for your crew of up to seven, so we recently announced that the 2009 Highlander will offer an all-new powerful-yet-fuel-efficient 2.7-liter, 4-cylinder engine. When it arrives at dealerships in mid-to-late January, the new Highlander powerplant will be among the best midsize SUVs in fuel economy and value. Let us explain.

The new 2.7-liter, 4-cylinder engine will generate an impressive 187 horsepower at 5800 rpm and 186 lb.-ft. of torque at 4100 rpm on regular 87-octane fuel. A dual-exhaust manifold will help achieve exceptional low-end torque and maximize power output. In addition to its performance output, the Highlander equipped with the new 4-cylinder engine will be EPA-rated as an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle and is expected to be among the leaders in fuel efficiency in the gas midsize SUV segment. See what we mean? And let us fill you in on what else we have up our sleeve.

The new 4-cylinder engine will be mated to an all-new 6-speed, electronically controlled automatic overdrive transmission with intelligence. The new transmission will help deliver quiet and smooth performance on par with a V6 and acceleration that will get you where you need to go in no time. When equipped with a tow package, the new powerplant will achieve a maximum towing capacity of 3500 lbs.1 Hope you're looking forward to the new year as much as we are.
Old 11-03-08, 05:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

5hp more or less, even if they are wrong... Edmunds seems to have liked the 4cly a lot.
Old 11-03-08, 05:46 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Default The Venza's missing features

Toyota just put out a press release listing all of the Venza's standard and optional features, and none of the features in my list above (Post #19) are included. See toyotanation.com.
Old 11-03-08, 09:03 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Guess it's official now:

Performance: Engines and Drivetrain
Venza offers two engines to give customers more flexibility when considering their driving needs. In both engines, advancements in fuel economy are achieved by utilization of lighter weight materials for the cylinder block and components.

New to the Toyota line-up and standard on Venza is the fuel-efficient 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine which will deliver 182 horsepower at 5,800 rpm and 182 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,200 rpm. Toyota's internal estimates for Venza fuel economy are 21 MPG city/29 MPG highway on the FWD model.

A 3.5-liter V6 that will produce 268 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 246 lb.-ft of torque at 4,700 rpm is also available. The V6 FWD has EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 19 MPG city/26 MPG highway.

Both engines are mated to a six-speed sequential-shift electronically-controlled automatic transmission with intelligence (ECT-i). The six-speed ECT-i provides a fun driving experience and helps improve fuel economy. On all models, Venza also employs uphill/downhill shift logic control that selects the proper gear for driving conditions and helps provide moderate engine braking during downhill driving.
The V6 and four-cylinder models are available in front- and AWD configurations. Venza's Active Torque Control AWD System optimizes torque distribution between the front and rear wheels to help ensure stable acceleration and smooth cornering. AWD offers enhanced traction and helps provide excellent overall handling in inclement weather.

Quick Reply: Venza base price = $26,695, hp = 182