Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Venza base price = $26,695, hp = 182

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 08:59 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
A great automotive writer. Notice anything wrong here?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27650356/
lol... Is it the V4?
Old 11-10-08, 09:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed the curb weight of the Venza; 3760 - 4045 lbs depending on the powertrain choice. That makes the fuel economy ratings all the more amazing. Turning circle is a bit large, but I think that is directly due to the small tire-to-fender gap.
Old 11-11-08, 06:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Just noticed the curb weight of the Venza; 3760 - 4045 lbs depending on the powertrain choice. That makes the fuel economy ratings all the more amazing. Turning circle is a bit large, but I think that is directly due to the small tire-to-fender gap.
its 400lbs less than Highlander actually, they worked hard to weight savings, it even has aluminium front suspension (unlike Camry or Highlander)
Old 11-11-08, 09:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
its 400lbs less than Highlander actually, they worked hard to weight savings, it even has aluminium front suspension (unlike Camry or Highlander)
It's true; given it's size, it's fairly lightweight. Regardless, the fuel economy numbers are still impressive, and they are actually best-in-class.
Old 11-11-08, 09:36 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
interesting how they categorize this under "car" instead of SUV/TRUCK
From what I know, Toyota did this on purpose to avoid the current stigma against SUVs and trucks in these days of environmental consciousness as well as rising fuel costs.
Old 11-11-08, 09:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have got to say, I think this could be the best looking and best packaged Toyota product in recent memory.

This is HAWT:

I also really like how simple and user friendly the console and center stack are. I wish the shifter was in the more conventional spot, but whatever. Props for being different.

Jeeze...

Old 11-11-08, 09:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I would still want the 3.5L V6 but if they can mate the 2.5L 4 to HSD and come up with like 215 or 220 combined HP with 35ish combined mpg...Venza would OWN almost every other sedan, wagon, cuv, suv, etc.

I really think Toyota has the right product at the right time, and it just so happens to be darn good looking too.
Old 11-11-08, 09:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Autoblog has a decent review with some good pictures...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/11/f...-toyota-venza/

I think this Super Matrix is a great car!
Old 11-11-08, 10:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I think it looks even better in these real life pics:

Old 11-11-08, 10:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Some choice quotes from that autoblog review:

"It is also a much better looking vehicle in person than it is in photos, because it is in person that you reap the benefit of all of the car's lines, many of which are simply ironed out in when represented in pixels. And the Venza's rather low height combined with the body's aesthetic 'purpose' allows it to sit on 20s like it means it."

"The seating options are a nice cloth, and a pinstriped leather that, frankly, is above the car's pay grade."

"The twists and turns of the western Pennsylvania countryside were numerous, and we missed a few of the ones we were meant to take because we were taking them all so quickly. The suspension is adept at equalizing the ruthless topographies of uneven, cracked, re-tarred and potholed roads. The steering offers a resistance that is un-Toyota-like: even on the firm side leaning well over into sporting. Road noise simply wasn't a factor..."
Old 11-11-08, 10:24 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I would still want the 3.5L V6 but if they can mate the 2.5L 4 to HSD and come up with like 215 or 220 combined HP with 35ish combined mpg...Venza would OWN almost every other sedan, wagon, cuv, suv, etc.

I really think Toyota has the right product at the right time, and it just so happens to be darn good looking too.
I'm curious. You're recommending the same 3.5L V6 6 speed powertrain that has been so prone to the flares in the Camry V6 and the ES350?

The same powertrain flare issue that you angrily state (in the other thread) that Toyota has not figured out how to correct?
Old 11-11-08, 10:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carguy101
I'm curious. You're recommending the same 3.5L V6 6 speed powertrain that has been so prone to the flares in the Camry V6 and the ES350?

The same powertrain flare issue that you angrily state (in the other thread) that Toyota has not figured out how to correct?
From what I understand there are changes they've made to the new unit going into the Venza and Avalon, and eventually the new RX 350. I am not sure what the changes are or why they cannot apply them to the Camry/ES tranny.

Even then, it would be a year or two of monitoring Toyota forums and quality reports that I would buy one solely because of the transmission. Trust me...still furious about the ES 350 situation
Old 11-11-08, 10:32 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

From what I understand there are changes they've made to the new unit going into the Venza and Avalon, and eventually the new RX 350. I am not sure what the changes are or why they cannot apply them to the Camry/ES tranny.

Even then, it would be a year or two of monitoring Toyota forums and quality reports that I would buy one solely because of the transmission. Trust me...still furious about the ES 350 situation
So Toyota is making "changes" to the transmission, while telling owners of flare-prone Camrys and ES350s that nothing is wrong with their cars and that their cars are operating within normal parameters.

Sounds hypocritical to me.
Old 11-11-08, 10:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carguy101

Sounds hypocritical to me.
You and I both. Not to hijack this thread, but if they say that the ES tranny is operating as designed but that they have to make changes to other cars that should use the same tranny...that is very deceptive business practice.

It seems to me that because they don't know what to do about the ES/Camrys they are just going to deem it "operating as designed" to avoid buybacks, lemon law, arbitration, etc.

...THEN they go and make changes to other models using the same tranny? Why? Could it be because they don't want to hear the same complaints and yelling from unhappy owners of RXs, Avalons, Venzas, etc?

Very shady...lying just because you can't admit that you did something wrong.
Old 11-11-08, 12:11 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very shady...lying just because you can't admit that you did something wrong.
I can't speak too much about the tranny issue at this time, but keep in mind the good things Toyota has done, just recently for example, with the Toyota Tacoma rust issue- We bought back thousands upon thousands of 95-2000 MY Tacoma's with frame rust at 1.5 times the KBB Suggested retail value for excellent condition, regardless of the truck's condition.

Toyota doesn't strike me as a shady company- Toyota could have easily looked the other way and said "too bad, out of warranty" to these Tacomas, some of which are over 10 years old, but instead Toyota initiated a program to take these trucks off the road and compensate the customers. This was a huge "I admit, we did something wrong" on Toyota's part and it cost the company a LOT of money. It just took some time.

Quick Reply: Venza base price = $26,695, hp = 182