Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Venza base price = $26,695, hp = 182

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-08, 12:40 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS
I can't speak too much about the tranny issue at this time, but keep in mind the good things Toyota has done, just recently for example, with the Toyota Tacoma rust issue- We bought back thousands upon thousands of 95-2000 MY Tacoma's with frame rust at 1.5 times the KBB Suggested retail value for excellent condition, regardless of the truck's condition.

Toyota doesn't strike me as a shady company- Toyota could have easily looked the other way and said "too bad, out of warranty" to these Tacomas, some of which are over 10 years old, but instead Toyota initiated a program to take these trucks off the road and compensate the customers. This was a huge "I admit, we did something wrong" on Toyota's part and it cost the company a LOT of money. It just took some time.
No, Toyota in general is not a shady company.

But with regards to specifically the tranny issue, it simply is not standing by its product.
Old 11-11-08, 12:46 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Jeeze...

mmmmmmmmm comfy pillows
lol

those side profile shots and the rear look good

but i dont like the front grill so much
Old 11-11-08, 02:15 PM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents, lets please talk about the Venza here, even if it includes the tranny. Lets not bicker with one another.

Thanks

Old 11-11-08, 02:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I was watching Motorweek over the weekend and they tested the Venza. They loved it but then again they love every car they test.

In the review they showed that the entire center console slid back opening up this huge comparment beneath the cup holders. Very cool as I didn't even know you could do that.
Old 11-11-08, 03:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I was watching Motorweek over the weekend and they tested the Venza. They loved it but then again they love every car they test.

In the review they showed that the entire center console slid back opening up this huge comparment beneath the cup holders. Very cool as I didn't even know you could do that.
i have read like 6-7 previews/reviews so far, and they all loved it... heck, Autoblog liked it, and they usually criticize anything Toyota...
Old 11-11-08, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg

That feature is not unusual; you see it on a number of today's vehicles.

BTW, I know Motorweek's John Davis, but not close or as personal friends. MW's headquarters, in Owings Mills, MD, is not that far away from me. I see John once in a while at auto shows, and we chat about the latest vehicles and trends when we're not busy. Unlike him, however, I'm not part of the formal auto press or journalist.
Old 11-11-08, 07:23 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I hope the plastics and other material on the Venza are up to snuff! It really does look good so far and kudos for Toyota for actually taking risks and putting more un-Toyota (read: not mundane) design into the vehicle such as the contrast piping, the unique gauges and the 60/60 (not a typo) centre console design.
Old 11-12-08, 07:14 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Does anyone else think that $26,000 is a bit much for a base wagon? Im sure its got lots of nice features and maybe thats the problem.
Old 11-12-08, 08:25 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see anything about the Venza as "base" it's supposed to be a premium vehicle.
Old 11-12-08, 08:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Does anyone else think that $26,000 is a bit much for a base wagon? Im sure its got lots of nice features and maybe thats the problem.
I think it has the options and prices to be in the right spot.

It needs to be bigger and better than a Camry, but has less options and cheaper than a Highlander.

Fits right in between...
Old 11-12-08, 08:41 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Well thats precisely it. You can't get a stripped down car anymore. Safety features, yes. But, perhaps people might want cheaper cars without power windows, locks, etc.
Old 11-12-08, 09:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well thats precisely it. You can't get a stripped down car anymore. Safety features, yes. But, perhaps people might want cheaper cars without power windows, locks, etc.
In North America, market demographics have shown that people only want "stripped down" models when it comes to lower-end cars. Very few people want "stripped down" models of higher end cars.

To put it in another way; most people in the market for vehicles such as the Venza, Murano, Volvo XC70, etc want LOTS of standard features.

Think of the Venza as a premium Camry wagon; it's got a better interior than the Camry, better features, options, and practical uses. As a premium Camry wagon, the Venza is priced just right.

I think we should be happy that the Venza is priced the way it is given all the standard features it has. The base 4-cyl Venza has all the standard features almost anyone could want, and there is no need to deal with the hassle of option packages to get that one option you want, while paying for a bunch of other options you don't want.

There are still options for the Venza, but they are more premium options and features. I'm glad Toyota went this route with the Venza. In today's day and age, I find it annoying, even borderline insulting to see features like A/C, power windows and power locks being "optional features" on anything other than low-end bargain cars.
Old 11-12-08, 09:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Buy a Hyundai/Kia instead.
Old 11-12-08, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Buy a Hyundai/Kia instead.
Even THEY aren't too easy to find with hand-crank windows and manual door locks. You've got to hunt for a real El Strippo Accent or Rio.

It's like A/C, except in cool-weather areas......few people want a car these days without push-button convieniences.
Old 11-12-08, 03:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Matrix maybe? Venza is great value for what it is... I wish we had them in Europe, one would be mine...

Quick Reply: Venza base price = $26,695, hp = 182