Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fast charging a battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 11:44 AM
cdvmagic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast charging a battery

It's me again with my weird questions.
The other day some guy came in my store and asked to charge his battery.
I told him ok leave the battery here and come pick it back in one hour.
He left it but I put the machine on rapid charge (40amps).
At that seting a totally empty battery should charge at full capacity in 30 minutes.
So I did it and at 35 minutes I stopped with the charging.
Then the guy came to take his battery but I had to run a test to check if the battery had hold his charge.
I found out it didn't it lost it;s charge already so I told him this battery is no longer usable so you have to buy a new one.
He then told me that I only charged it in one hour so I must have used the quickcharge.
I told him yes I used the quickcharge he then told me that's why I ruined his battery because if you use quickcharge it will bend the cells in the battery and that will ruin the battery.
Is this true.
I had to give him a new battery for free because He has theathen me to take me to court but I want to ask if that's true because if it is I might tell the costumer to leave their battert at 9 an dpick them up at 4pm but I wanna know if it's true first.
He also said that fastcharge can cause the battery to blow the ECU or ruin all your sensors.
Old 11-03-08, 01:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cdvmagic
He also said that fastcharge can cause the battery to blow the ECU or ruin all your sensors.
LOL tell him to stick a fork in it. Your ECU doesn't care how fast your battery was charged. Your ECU will fry if you give it way more voltage than it wants (hence why our cars have voltage regulators) or you reversed the polarity on the battery. Looks like he already had a dead battery, but wanted to get a freebie.

Ideally, batteries (lead-acid) maintain a longer lifespan when they are charged with low current. You can charge them at higher currents, but you'll need to watch the temperature and voltage. Having too much of both will cause your battery to lose charge due to loss of electrolytes from gasing.

Most of the time, once the battery is completely dead, it's not going to be revived with a power supply. If the voltage reading of a battery is around 10.5v, it'll probably make it. If it's reading way below that, chances are, it's already dead.