Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I am getting disgusted with how people drive on our roads

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 02:57 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel you... I dont even get pissed off being cut off anymore, as long as they use the signal and then cut me off I am glad that even though they are d*ck heads, they aren't a lazy d*ck head.
Old 11-05-08, 02:59 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get that stuff here in SoCal all the time. I also get ****** who cut in front of me just to be in front then drive slower than what I'm driving. Annoying as hell but I cope with it until I get pissed and move around him....

I've also noticed new drivers don't like turn signals anymore, especially the kids on my street...
Old 11-05-08, 03:06 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made a post a while back about how I think I may have worn out my horn ... now you all know why.
Old 11-05-08, 09:05 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
People are boneheads. Rude inconsiderate drivers. I also think getting a license in this country is way too easy...
I have to agree with this statement. Obtaining a license in America is too easy. I'm no expert when it comes to cars, but if you don't know the fundamentals I don't think you should be driving.

I believe in Germany, it's required that you know how to check your oil and other fluids before you can have a licenses.
Old 11-05-08, 09:16 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
people forget that driving is a privilege not a right. I go up to West LA nearly every weekend. It's horrible up there. People on cell phones while driving all the time. When you're on wilshire blvd or santa monica driving through Beverly hills you just want to kill people.
I hear you...we were just down visiting LA and San Diego (beautiful weather) for the weekend and the driving was flat out scary. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that kind of volume on a regular basis. I don't know how you do it, but know that we saw a ridiculous number of vehicles that were damaged from some form of accident
Old 11-05-08, 10:03 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Chuuch! You couldn't have said it any better.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm in the middle lane and people going 85-90mph in a 55 zone. Every car imagninable.
One thing I just had to add to this comment is that people are always *****ing about gas prices, but the worst ones are the these, those who drive 85-90 mph .

Originally Posted by Lexmex
When I lived in Mexico, you had to wait by law until a green left turn signal.
Yep, one of the few times I've been in an urban city in Mexico (Guadalajara), I saw a guy in a van make a left turn when it wasn't a green turn signal. He was quickly pulled over. It seems like cops don't hesitate to pull someone over quick when they commit an traffic violation. Also, in some places, the roads aren't always exactly laid out in a grid system like we so often see here in the states. That makes the driving seem even more crazy. But like an ex Mexican bus driver told me once, the best drivers are the ones who have been in accidents.
Old 11-05-08, 10:05 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by memasterac
It's not that bad as you made it sounds like.

To fix it: Take a trip to some south-eastern Asia countries... to see how they drive.
Organized chaos, I think I would much rather have that than all the clueless dumbasses who get in their cars everyday and decide they are going to try to be the worst drivers on the road .

I've been seeing an increase in traffic accidents in my area, especially on the freeway .
Old 11-05-08, 10:28 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
People are boneheads. Rude inconsiderate drivers. I also think getting a license in this country is way too easy...
pretty much says it right there ... my dad didnt let me get my license till i past HIS driving test which was a 340 mile round trip in his 97 ford econoline work van stretch in which the back two windows are spray painted so nobody can see inside and all i had was my two side mirrors...

made me drive from ft lauderdale to key west and driving in key west with that huge truck is insane!! because there roads are soo small.. and i had to street park in one shot using perfect amount of space for the truck... (took me a couple of trys but i got it)

once i passed his test it was off to the dmv and the dmv test was such a joke that you dont even leave the parking lot....
Old 11-06-08, 03:23 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

sick, it's just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to effing easy to get a license in this country.

You're right about one thing: Driving isn't a right, it's a privilege that's earned.

Since anyone can earn it, this is what you see on roads all across america.

we need stricter enforcement, harsher penalties, HUGE fines, and most importantly: a tougher driving exam, both written and driving courses. Defensive/safe driving should be taken by all and lowered insurance for people who attend driving schools and high performance driving schools.

this way we can weed out some of those idiots.

also make older people take exams more often.

I know they're old but if they can't keep up in traffic, then they shouldn't be on the roads either.
Old 11-06-08, 05:41 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I learned to drive where I grew up and live now and South Florida is a hotbed of bad driving in the U.S., if not the world. I retract previous statements about Mexico City and its drivers. There is no comparison, Miami is very bad. Last night at a Walgreens, I watched someone bump into someone (a human being, not a car) out of a handicapped space (and they didn't have a handicap sticker or plate). The person was not hurt but went into a fit (I don't blame them) and put a big dent with their foot into the car, but the driver sped off.

Last week, I went to watch my high school football team in action over in western Miami and I saw no fewer than 3 accidents, plus plenty of bad driving. The biggest offense is the sheer lack of use of turn signals when making any kind of turn. My girlfriend was relating to me a few weeks back how when she was coming home she was going down a street and suddenly a driver a few a cars in front of her suddenly turned right and the driver right behind them nicked that person's corner rear bumper. There's no way that person could stop, they have to signal at least 100 feet before the turn.

Another one is people asleep at the light. I can't begin to tell you how many times the light turns green and 5 seconds later no movement with the vehicle at the front of the light often times at intersections that have a short green light, (and the same intersections as in my youth, though now much faster green lights).

Perhaps another high crime I see is the infamous 4 way stop that is the staple of intersections in South Florida. Now we hopefully all know the rule that if two vehicles stop at the same time on say for example the North and West stop signs, the one on the North must yield to the one on the right (the West in this case). Oh that does happen. However, I am still not sure what constitutes a stop. I see people considering their stop to be over the white line, 10 feet behind the white line, but never within 1 foot of the white line. In fact, they stop their vehicle well behind the white line and then go. Often times, they do a rolling stop.

Another one that troubles me. You want to turn left at an intersection, but have the green light, but no arrow. What you're supposed to do is pull out into the intersection and wait until it's safe to make the left turn. How simple is that. When I lived in Mexico, you had to wait by law until a green left turn signal. Use this wonderful luxury of U.S. traffic law and don't sit their waiting for the turn signal.

Want another one. School zones. I understand the kiddies are there and I obey the 15 mph zone when it is applicable. So please don't flash your lights in my rear view mirror or honk for me to speed up...I won't. That also goes for other residential areas near where I live where the speed limit is 30 mph and the police are everywhere with radar guns. I should know, I grew up here.

It must be my imagination since I got home from Mexico City, but everyone seems to blast by me at light speed on the Interstates (I-95) and even the Florida Turnpike and not an officer in sight.
Oh man, I just moved down here from Chicago and it amazes me how freaking stupid the people are when it comes to driving. Nobody knows how to make an unprotected left hand turn like you said. They just sit behind the line and stay there even when it changes to yellow. The worst is people don't even realize what they are doing is wrong and get pissed at you for driving properly.
Old 11-06-08, 05:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The fast lane squatters drive me crazy. I realize durnig rush hours, or other heavy traffic times, it's just not practical to move over, because there's just too many cars. But a vast majority of people have no idea that there's a fast lane and slow lane, and have no clue why I'm behind them flashing my lights.

And don't get me started with people driving around in heavy rainstorms with no lights on...
Old 11-06-08, 08:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
welcome to atlanta
Originally Posted by bagwell
unless there's nobody else around, I just don't hardly like to drive anymore because of all the reasons you mentioned.....
Yup, and that's why I left Atlanta. Couldn't take it anymore. It was either stressful, a huge waste of time (sitting in traffic), or both. I've got better things to do...

Part of it goes back to, yup, again, our worthless public education system, and parents who frankly don't care either. So young people come up with the worst combination of arrogance, ignorance, lack of critical thinking and judgment, AND very short attention spans. They are a menace on the roads, but see themselves as entitled, and also entitled to do this while text messaging, putting on make-up, reading, talking, messing with some complex audio system, etc. They don't care about anyone else.

It is NOT fixable until people must pass a tougher test.
Old 11-06-08, 10:08 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

The move I saw last week was an idiot backup up on the shoulder of the 405 fwy to get to get back to a transition road she missed, then driving across the triangular median and pulling out from a dead stop into traffic moving 65 mph. That's how people get dead.
Old 11-06-08, 10:39 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by link13
The move I saw last week was an idiot backup up on the shoulder of the 405 fwy to get to get back to a transition road she missed,
actually, I did something like that once.

It was a few x-mas eves ago and I went to yonkers with a friend.

when we got onto the deegan, there was major traffic issues southbound right before getting onto the GWB.

anyways, we hung out with a few friends for a while and started heading back around 4 in the morning.

Lo and behold, the traffic was still there. Everyone was parked with engines off since earlier that night.

I pulled over to the shoulder and backed up to the last exit and took the local roads and went home.

Later that x-mas day, my friend calls me and tells me there was a truck that either flipped over or caught fire or both and it was cleared till 8AM that morning.

sucks for all those people who were sitting in their cars from god knows when till then during that x-mas eve.
Old 11-06-08, 02:23 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Ban cell phone use while driving. That will fix alot of the problems!

Quick Reply: I am getting disgusted with how people drive on our roads