Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I am getting disgusted with how people drive on our roads

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 02:58 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Ban cell phone use while driving. That will fix alot of the problems!
Use of a cell phone without a hands free set up was banned here in CA effective on July 1, 2008. It doesn't seem to ahve had much affect on driving or even reduced the number of hand held cell phones being used while driving.
Old 11-06-08, 03:00 PM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
People are boneheads. Rude inconsiderate drivers. I also think getting a license in this country is way too easy...
seriously! i'm blind and i passed with no errors!
Old 11-06-08, 03:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So clearly last night was historical and I woke up and hopped in the car thinking "you know what, this can be a new start for us".

Then when I backed out the driveway, I had to watch as someone drove at least 40mph in this old truck in a 25 zone in a NEIGHBORHOOD.

I watch as the person behind me pretty much ignores the stop sign.

As I wait at the light, I am behind the line and watch as this person creeps and creeps and creeps until their entire Civic is ahead of the line we are supposed to be behind.

The light is red and 2 cars run it. Seems everyone is on their cell phone 9 in the morning.

As I turn onto the main road, the usual people going 40mph in a 55 zone in the fast lane.

New Accord riding my bumper. I cannot speed up, as there are 4 cars in front of me.

Does anyone use their turn signal? Anyone? You can't even get angry at being cut off anymore. Its rare to see a turn signal today.

People waiting until the road ends to merge but they don't do it smoothly. They either try to hit you or someone else to squeeze in or cause a traffic jam holding traffic up in 2 lanes.

When I make it to the freeway I see a Maxima speeding over to the right and a black man giving someone the finger, over and over. So I look and theres a white man in a Ford Freestar doing the same with his family in the vehicle. Not sure what happened but they clearly were pissed.

Honda CR-V going 40mph in the fast lane on the highway. People doing crazy manuvers to get around.

18 wheeler tire debris all over the road. If you look at these trucks, I rarely see a tire with tread. They seem to drive it until the wheel falls off.

I'm in the middle lane and people going 85-90mph in a 55 zone. Every car imagninable. Some with hoods busted up or bumpers broken from an accident and they look like they could break off at anytime.

Nearly getting sideswipped by someone in a huge Dually Dodge Ram who doesn't think I am moving over fast enough. He has to go past me for some odd reason.

Gettting of the exit, again, the light is red and 3 cars ignore it and run the light. As I turn off, no one is behind the white line to stop. So people turning onto the street have a harder time turning.

Everyones turn signal is broken. I look around and everyone is on the phone.

I turn to park and people are parking in 2 spaces like I work at a Bentley dealer.

What is wrong with people? How can it have gotten so bad on the roads? Driving IS NOT a right, it is something earned. To think these people teach their kids or their kids watch their awful driving habits.

I'm not even sure how to fix this. It truly is sad and an EPIDEMIC. Are your experiences different? Similar?
I went to a friends house after work, didn't go straight home. I hop in the RX and drove of. Not even on the road one minutes, some lady in a black camry coming out of mcdonalds does not stop, does not yield, she simply drives straight out the Mcdonalds so she can get in the left lane. I have to slam my brakes to avoid her.

Sigh......

I get on the freeway and its dark at this point. This is when u notice the multiple cars either with a brake light out of some rear light out.

To make matters worse are the morons with either their high beams on or no lights on. I pass an older ES 300 with high beams on since they must be blind. Three Civics...a new one with high beams on leaving the Honda dealership...a new Accord with maybe 20k HIDs, the were freaking beyond purple and the old Civic Hatch with HIds slapped in, the car is 1/2 painted and one light is aimed to the moon.

Almost saw someone rear end a 100 year old in a new odyessy, not one light on the freeway. Not one. The car was a dark blue maybe, passing it and looking in the rear view mirror you could easily miss it. Not sure why DRL were not on.

See an older E class with the quad lamps, no headlights on, only the small inner ones.

I found it odd I got stuck behind two Chevy Trailblazers, one on the freeway, one on the street. Both must have their feet stapled to the brake as they kept pressing the brakes over and over and over and over. Ridiculous.

Again, the use of signals is clear becoming a hobby, not mandatory. I arrive at my buds house and breathe a sigh of relief.

Now what did brighten my evening was seeing a new black GT-R. Wow, what a car and sound. A E46 M3 came behind it and I never thought I'd say it looked very plain and bland compared to the GT-R. What a car. The paint was excellent!

He just moves in and tells me a story that he was sitting on his porch with his black lab and sees a big SUV coming fast (he lives right by the neighborhood entrance). Its a black tahoe that hits his curb and then goes across staight into two cars across the street. Pushing them into the garage.

The guy backs up with his now totaled truck, and drives about 7 houses down and parks in the driveway as close as possible to the garage door and goes INSIDE.

I leave and at least gas is cheap. $2.04 and I finally see $1.99 for regular. Amazing. Never thought I'd see that again.

Not sure what car this was but as I go back on the highway, I see it go from the entrace ramp, all the way to the fast lane. Thing is, they didn't really so it smoothly, so all the cars behind the car they cut off hits the brakes in the fast lane.

Almost home, some young girl on her phone in her Focus driving like crazy. But she cannot drive. She clearly wants to get around me but she cannot, so instead of waiting for a better chance, she speeds off into the slow lane. Thing is she paid no attention to the car in that lane that had its signal on to turn into a gas station.

She slams on the brakes to avoid hitting that car.

I finally turn into my street and there is an Accord with all of the car except the trunk over the white line.

No sense telling today's story as its pretty similar.

Old 11-06-08, 03:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Welcome to Atlanta says it all.

Having spent the last 24 years in California, I can say with some authority, driving in Atlanta on secondary roads is much worse.

I'm driving to work today - I support west coast, so I get to work ~11 am - I'm driving during non-rush hours. I see a new GTR with the dealer plates still on it from a North Carolina Nissan dealer. It's a Smokey Granite-like color. We're on a secondary road with a 55 mph speed limit and the lanes in each direction are separated by a grassy median. As luck would have it, I pull up next to the GTR at the light and we're both in front. I look over to see who is driving, and it's a very blonde female. No big deal.

We take off from the light, neither of us is doing anything even remotely foolish, just a typical suburban drive away from a traffic light. I'm even with her. She drifts toward me. She crosses the center line. She keeps coming straight into me. I'm pulling right and driving through a right turn lane to avoid being hit. I step on the gas hard and pull ahead and in front of her. I can only shake my head. I have NO IDEA what she was doing, but driving wasn't it.

Not two miles down the road where it turns into a limited access road, there's a guy in the left lane stacking up traffic behind him by running dead even with the center and right lane occupants. Gotta love driving in the ATL...well, no, actually I don't. I've never been anywhere in the world where people consistently drive 15 mph under the speed limit side by side - and they're not even talking out the window to each other.

Funny you posted this rant today. I was thinking about starting one like it all the way to work after the GTR incident.
Old 11-06-08, 06:19 PM
LexFather

I have done so much research on public transit here the last month its not even funny. It is in my future. Tonight is no better.

To think I drive calm now! lol

Old 11-06-08, 10:44 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

In KY people use signals all the time. It actually bugs me when they are in the left turn-only lane doing that. It used to happen alot where someone jumped in front of me, just to pass one more car before hitting the off-ramp on the interstate. That especially bugged me when there was plenty of space behind me to get in the right lane. That hasn't happened since I got my IS, which is more powerful than my old cars and allows me to keep up easier.

You guys are under alot of stress.
Old 11-06-08, 10:55 PM
charles87k
Rookie

I work in socal in ems and every single day there are people who cut us off in the ambulance. there was even this one time where we were getting on the freeway on ramp and some idiot goes around us and cuts us off forcing my partner to swerve and hit the curb; we had a patient on board! we've even had people flipping us off for obeying the traffic laws. and the worse are people who stop right in front of us when we're going lights and sirens. wtf people move over to the right like you're suppose to do! Some people have no idea how dangerous it is not only for us, but for them and the rest if the public when an ambulance or any emergency vehicle is going lights and sirens. So please, if you're reading this, the next time you see those flashing lights in your rearview mirrors, pull over to the right. Make it easier for us and more importantly safer for EVERYBODY. SPREAD THE WORD.
Old 11-07-08, 10:08 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

My friend's brother is a fireman in NorCal. He said people don't move out of their way sometimes. Unbelievable. My favorite story was what they do to cars parked in front of fire hydrants: either push the car out of the way or smash the windows and run the firehose through the parked car. I like it.
Old 11-07-08, 10:31 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still suggest to look at this topic from a more passive approach. There is nothing much we can do to fix the long existing problems. We all need to be cautious everytime sitting behind the steering wheel...