Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I am getting disgusted with how people drive on our roads

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 10:13 AM
LexFather

Red face I am getting disgusted with how people drive on our roads

So clearly last night was historical and I woke up and hopped in the car thinking "you know what, this can be a new start for us".

Then when I backed out the driveway, I had to watch as someone drove at least 40mph in this old truck in a 25 zone in a NEIGHBORHOOD.

I watch as the person behind me pretty much ignores the stop sign.

As I wait at the light, I am behind the line and watch as this person creeps and creeps and creeps until their entire Civic is ahead of the line we are supposed to be behind.

The light is red and 2 cars run it. Seems everyone is on their cell phone 9 in the morning.

As I turn onto the main road, the usual people going 40mph in a 55 zone in the fast lane.

New Accord riding my bumper. I cannot speed up, as there are 4 cars in front of me.

Does anyone use their turn signal? Anyone? You can't even get angry at being cut off anymore. Its rare to see a turn signal today.

People waiting until the road ends to merge but they don't do it smoothly. They either try to hit you or someone else to squeeze in or cause a traffic jam holding traffic up in 2 lanes.

When I make it to the freeway I see a Maxima speeding over to the right and a black man giving someone the finger, over and over. So I look and theres a white man in a Ford Freestar doing the same with his family in the vehicle. Not sure what happened but they clearly were pissed.

Honda CR-V going 40mph in the fast lane on the highway. People doing crazy manuvers to get around.

18 wheeler tire debris all over the road. If you look at these trucks, I rarely see a tire with tread. They seem to drive it until the wheel falls off.

I'm in the middle lane and people going 85-90mph in a 55 zone. Every car imagninable. Some with hoods busted up or bumpers broken from an accident and they look like they could break off at anytime.

Nearly getting sideswipped by someone in a huge Dually Dodge Ram who doesn't think I am moving over fast enough. He has to go past me for some odd reason.

Gettting of the exit, again, the light is red and 3 cars ignore it and run the light. As I turn off, no one is behind the white line to stop. So people turning onto the street have a harder time turning.

Everyones turn signal is broken. I look around and everyone is on the phone.

I turn to park and people are parking in 2 spaces like I work at a Bentley dealer.

What is wrong with people? How can it have gotten so bad on the roads? Driving IS NOT a right, it is something earned. To think these people teach their kids or their kids watch their awful driving habits.

I'm not even sure how to fix this. It truly is sad and an EPIDEMIC. Are your experiences different? Similar?

Old 11-05-08, 10:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm not even sure how to fix this.
Become a traffic cop.

Everyone will start driving perfect around you...
Old 11-05-08, 10:19 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh... I really don't know what to say except...

People are stupid.
Old 11-05-08, 10:36 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People are boneheads. Rude inconsiderate drivers. I also think getting a license in this country is way too easy...
Old 11-05-08, 10:43 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not that bad as you made it sounds like.

To fix it: Take a trip to some south-eastern Asia countries... to see how they drive.
Old 11-05-08, 10:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I learned to drive where I grew up and live now and South Florida is a hotbed of bad driving in the U.S., if not the world. I retract previous statements about Mexico City and its drivers. There is no comparison, Miami is very bad. Last night at a Walgreens, I watched someone bump into someone (a human being, not a car) out of a handicapped space (and they didn't have a handicap sticker or plate). The person was not hurt but went into a fit (I don't blame them) and put a big dent with their foot into the car, but the driver sped off.

Last week, I went to watch my high school football team in action over in western Miami and I saw no fewer than 3 accidents, plus plenty of bad driving. The biggest offense is the sheer lack of use of turn signals when making any kind of turn. My girlfriend was relating to me a few weeks back how when she was coming home she was going down a street and suddenly a driver a few a cars in front of her suddenly turned right and the driver right behind them nicked that person's corner rear bumper. There's no way that person could stop, they have to signal at least 100 feet before the turn.

Another one is people asleep at the light. I can't begin to tell you how many times the light turns green and 5 seconds later no movement with the vehicle at the front of the light often times at intersections that have a short green light, (and the same intersections as in my youth, though now much faster green lights).

Perhaps another high crime I see is the infamous 4 way stop that is the staple of intersections in South Florida. Now we hopefully all know the rule that if two vehicles stop at the same time on say for example the North and West stop signs, the one on the North must yield to the one on the right (the West in this case). Oh that does happen. However, I am still not sure what constitutes a stop. I see people considering their stop to be over the white line, 10 feet behind the white line, but never within 1 foot of the white line. In fact, they stop their vehicle well behind the white line and then go. Often times, they do a rolling stop.

Another one that troubles me. You want to turn left at an intersection, but have the green light, but no arrow. What you're supposed to do is pull out into the intersection and wait until it's safe to make the left turn. How simple is that. When I lived in Mexico, you had to wait by law until a green left turn signal. Use this wonderful luxury of U.S. traffic law and don't sit their waiting for the turn signal.

Want another one. School zones. I understand the kiddies are there and I obey the 15 mph zone when it is applicable. So please don't flash your lights in my rear view mirror or honk for me to speed up...I won't. That also goes for other residential areas near where I live where the speed limit is 30 mph and the police are everywhere with radar guns. I should know, I grew up here.

It must be my imagination since I got home from Mexico City, but everyone seems to blast by me at light speed on the Interstates (I-95) and even the Florida Turnpike and not an officer in sight.
Old 11-05-08, 10:58 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people forget that driving is a privilege not a right. I go up to West LA nearly every weekend. It's horrible up there. People on cell phones while driving all the time. When you're on wilshire blvd or santa monica driving through Beverly hills you just want to kill people.
Old 11-05-08, 10:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Are ya a cop? just wondering..
When I ride my bike with a white helmet, for some reason, most drivers think that I'm a motorcycle cop...
Old 11-05-08, 11:13 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sicklex
so clearly last night was historical and i woke up and hopped in the car thinking "you know what, this can be a new start for us".

Then when i backed out the driveway, i had to watch as someone drove at least 40mph in this old truck in a 25 zone in a neighborhood.

I watch as the person behind me pretty much ignores the stop sign.

As i wait at the light, i am behind the line and watch as this person creeps and creeps and creeps until their entire civic is ahead of the line we are supposed to be behind.

The light is red and 2 cars run it. Seems everyone is on their cell phone 9 in the morning.

As i turn onto the main road, the usual people going 40mph in a 55 zone in the fast lane.

New accord riding my bumper. I cannot speed up, as there are 4 cars in front of me.

Does anyone use their turn signal? Anyone? You can't even get angry at being cut off anymore. Its rare to see a turn signal today.

People waiting until the road ends to merge but they don't do it smoothly. They either try to hit you or someone else to squeeze in or cause a traffic jam holding traffic up in 2 lanes.

When i make it to the freeway i see a maxima speeding over to the right and a black man giving someone the finger, over and over. So i look and theres a white man in a ford freestar doing the same with his family in the vehicle. Not sure what happened but they clearly were pissed.

Honda cr-v going 40mph in the fast lane on the highway. People doing crazy manuvers to get around.

18 wheeler tire debris all over the road. If you look at these trucks, i rarely see a tire with tread. They seem to drive it until the wheel falls off.

I'm in the middle lane and people going 85-90mph in a 55 zone. Every car imagninable. Some with hoods busted up or bumpers broken from an accident and they look like they could break off at anytime.

Nearly getting sideswipped by someone in a huge dually dodge ram who doesn't think i am moving over fast enough. He has to go past me for some odd reason.

Gettting of the exit, again, the light is red and 3 cars ignore it and run the light. As i turn off, no one is behind the white line to stop. So people turning onto the street have a harder time turning.

Everyones turn signal is broken. I look around and everyone is on the phone.

I turn to park and people are parking in 2 spaces like i work at a bentley dealer.

What is wrong with people? How can it have gotten so bad on the roads? driving is not a right, it is something earned. to think these people teach their kids or their kids watch their awful driving habits.

I'm not even sure how to fix this. It truly is sad and an epidemic. are your experiences different? Similar?
welcome to atlanta
Old 11-05-08, 11:26 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

1SickLex,

AMEN

Were you driving in Rhode Island? Your sig says GA, but your story screams RI Especially the turn signal, that's got RI written all over it since it seems hardly anyone uses it.

I'm not sure where the whole don't use your turn signal thing came from but my theory is it started with people stopped calling it a 'turn signal' and started calling it a 'blinker'! I mean a 'blinker'? "oh look, the little green light is on, now it off, now its on again........" It's a turn signal Please USE IT when you..... TURN!

TripleL
Old 11-05-08, 11:55 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I think it's the same all over the place, unfortunately.

My biggest pet peeve? You're cruising down the street, keeping a safe distance from the car ahead, when a car waiting to turn down the same street as you does so at the last second, forcing you to brake, doesn't bother to speed up and keeps on with their parade-like pace, when they could've waited until you passed, because you were the last car in the "pack".
Old 11-05-08, 12:00 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

My experiences here in CA are identical to what Mike described except the makes and colors of the cars are different. The big thing here is running a red light while making a right turn on to a busy street with lots of traffic. People don't even look.
Old 11-05-08, 01:17 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

unless there's nobody else around, I just don't hardly like to drive anymore because of all the reasons you mentioned.....
Old 11-05-08, 02:35 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I stopped for a red light at a very busy intersection in the early morning had a guy come up in the left lane pass me up (I am first in line) stopp way over the line then go through the light. I was like ok keep it up buddy but as I thought that my car LIT UP in RED an BLUE (took me by surprise) The feeling was great as I watched him get pulled over all of 150 foot through the intersection.
Old 11-05-08, 02:57 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes when all kinds of stuff like that happens all around you, you start to think 'maybe I'm the bad driver ...' Then something REALLY stupid happens and you're like 'oh, no, it is actually everyone else'

Basically, I know the feeling; & those kinds of days are good for getting someone else to drive when you go out in the evening for a drink (or 5).

Quick Reply: I am getting disgusted with how people drive on our roads