Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
This car looks better than it did. However, I just can't respect it. It gets just terrible gas mileage and yet it is at the bottom of of midsize luxury cars when it comes to power. Nothing like the lightweight, low powered, but quick Prelude I had.
Well, if you like that grille, each to his own. Its mileage, granted, is no econobox, but is not out of place with a big, heavy car, AWD, and a 300 HP engine. The much lighter Subaru STI and Mitsubishi Evo, with AWD and 300 HP, don't do much better.
Old 11-06-08, 06:40 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mmarshall,

Excellent Review (as Always!!)

You may recall that I am and have been a huge fan of this car. To quote myself from a previous thread "It’s a fun & reliable AWD car that has just the right balance. To me the car does nothing great, but everything well... what more can you ask for." Mmarshall I value your opinion and overall your review reinforces those feelings.

BTW I agree about the tire noise. When I drove one in 2005 tire noise was one of my few minuses to the car. Now with the 45 series tires I'm sure it's a little worse.

Thanks,
TripleL
Old 11-06-08, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Most everyone wouldn't be able to tell the engine was a transverse mount anyway unless the opened the hood.
Well, on this car, open the hood and, for the average person, it's STILL hard to tell....the lousy plastic covers and panels hide almost everything. People who are not car-savy might have a hard time figuring it out.

And with some Hyundai's, it's worse. They mount the V6 transversely and then bolt the engine cover on 90 degrees off, front-to-back, to make you THINK that the engine is longitudionally mounted. Didn't fool me, but it might some people.

That said, I've always liked the interior of the 05+ RL and the interior fit, finish, and feel. I didn't mind the 05-08 RL exterior styling at all. It wasn't spectacular and some call it bland, but that is much better than edgy and ugly IMHO. However, I don't like the 09 exterior style refresh.
I pretty much agree with you, although the only real difference on the 2009 is the grille. The new tires and suspension, though, decrease ride comfort and don't give much back in handling or steering response....that is one of my complaints.
Old 11-06-08, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Great write-up as always Mike, I am going back to test drive the 09 and put this up against my finalists- BMW 5-series and yes, hold your breath, Genesis 4.6....
Thanks. The RL, IMO, has better build quality than the current 5-series, but don't expect its steering and overall driving feel to be like a BMW. The SH-AWD and the new tires give the RL some cornering grip, but there is some body roll, ride comfort is not particularly good to compensate, and the steering response is not particularly fast. The BMW 550i will definitely outrun the RL on the drag strip, but BMW does not market an AWD xi version of it.

In a nutshell, the 5-series outdrives the RL, but the RL has superb build quality that BMW can't match. Both, however, have some frustrating dash controls.

As for the Genesis, I recently reviewed the 3.8 version (the 4.6 was not yet available). I'm sure you read it, so I won't go into that car here again.

Give us some comments, BTW, on what you think of these cars when you drive them.
Old 11-06-08, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Mmarshall,

Excellent Review (as Always!!)
Thanks.

You may recall that I am and have been a huge fan of this car. To quote myself from a previous thread "It’s a fun & reliable AWD car that has just the right balance. To me the car does nothing great, but everything well... what more can you ask for." Mmarshall I value your opinion and overall your review reinforces those feelings.

BTW I agree about the tire noise. When I drove one in 2005 tire noise was one of my few minuses to the car. Now with the 45 series tires I'm sure it's a little worse.

Thanks,
TripleL
This car, IMO, does do one thing great......it does not give you cheap materials. Acura put the money into its build quality that other automakers should be doing but often don't.

The tire noise isn't bad......just noticeable when compared to super-quiet cars like the Lexus LS and GS. My biggest complaint with the new 45-series tires (and I stated it before) is that they lessen ride comfort without adding a lot steering response in return.

I value your opinion as much as you do mine.......If I didn't, I wouldn't do reviews, expecting responses in return.
Old 11-06-08, 07:54 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This car, IMO, does do one thing great......it does not give you cheap materials. Acura put the money into its build quality that other automakers should be doing but often don't.
Noted!
The tire noise isn't bad......just noticeable when compared to super-quiet cars like the Lexus LS and GS. My biggest complaint with the new 45-series tires (and I stated it before) is that they lessen ride comfort without adding a lot steering response in return.

I value your opinion as much as you do mine.......If I didn't, I wouldn't do reviews, expecting responses in return.
Gotcha on the 45s. I have them on my IS and it took a while to get used to the 'sporty' ride. On most roads the ride is fine, but on choppy roads ride comfort does suffer for sure. I'm almost ready for new tires an am looking for alternatives, but that's for another thread.

Thanks again,
TripleL
Old 11-06-08, 08:54 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. The RL, IMO, has better build quality than the current 5-series, but don't expect its steering and overall driving feel to be like a BMW. The SH-AWD and the new tires give the RL some cornering grip, but there is some body roll, ride comfort is not particularly good to compensate, and the steering response is not particularly fast. The BMW 550i will definitely outrun the RL on the drag strip, but BMW does not market an AWD xi version of it.

In a nutshell, the 5-series outdrives the RL, but the RL has superb build quality that BMW can't match. Both, however, have some frustrating dash controls.

As for the Genesis, I recently reviewed the 3.8 version (the 4.6 was not yet available). I'm sure you read it, so I won't go into that car here again.

Give us some comments, BTW, on what you think of these cars when you drive them.

Will do... I did read your Genesis review (kudos as always)...

I agree on build quality, which is becoming bigger priority for me, and no 550xi is an issue on a $65K car. The Audi enthusiast I speak often on here and I drove a 4.6 in Milwaukee... both of us were VERY impressed, even with, get this, TWO 2007 BMW 550Is with no miles (under 300 on each) selling for $45K!!! Yes, that's right, no typo!!! They have both sat 15 months + in Milwaukee, however neither have NAV. So even with that type of deal we both agree for the $$ the Genesis was remarkable... and we are "drivers"

We also felt the build quality of the Genesis to be on par with the 550.... in other words, plus and minus to each = a wash... and I'm reading on BMW forums about software & trans issues popping up again on 04-06 5-series...

Next up, drive the RL, will compare all 3 once done...

...and lastly your input (as well as others on CL) has me convinced that if you do your homework and research (using this forum primarily and others of course) which will no doubt help you find the BEST/DREAM/PERFECT car you are searching for and make a choice you should live happily with... so kudos to CL as well!!!

Thx again Mike!!!
Old 11-06-08, 09:18 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Thanks.

Acura loves to bundle their cars with ****ty tires. I have no idea why they compromise in an area that is such a factor in noise, comfort and performance.
Old 11-06-08, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Next up, drive the RL, will compare all 3 once done...

...and lastly your input (as well as others on CL) has me convinced that if you do your homework and research (using this forum primarily and others of course) which will no doubt help you find the BEST/DREAM/PERFECT car you are searching for and make a choice you should live happily with... so kudos to CL as well!!!

Thx again Mike!!!
Sure. Have fun shopping and test driving. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-06-08, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by leedogg
Acura loves to bundle their cars with ****ty tires. I have no idea why they compromise in an area that is such a factor in noise, comfort and performance.
I don't think it's the individual tires so much as it is in the way Honda/Acura designs their unibodies, chassis, and sealing. I've noted tire noise in Honda/Acura products even with the same tires that run somewhat quieter in other cars.

The RL, for example, has good, thick insulation pads both under the trunk lid and under the hood, yet some tire noise still crept in. This suggests that the wheel-well soundproofing may not be as effective as some other makes. Subaru, for instance, had road noise problems with the redesigned 2008 Impreza....they added more wheel well insulation this year and the problem improved somewhat.
Old 11-06-08, 11:00 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Mike, thanks for the wonderful review on the 09 RL, always a pleasure reading your reviews.

Btw, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind doing a review on the 2009 Honda Fit??
Old 11-07-08, 04:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsantiago
Mike, thanks for the wonderful review on the 09 RL, always a pleasure reading your reviews.
Thanks.

Btw, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind doing a review on the 2009 Honda Fit??

You got it. Coming up.

I'll have to see if any are available and unsold, though. The Fit is a hot-seller, and doesn't stay on the lot very long.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-08 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-07-08, 07:49 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

I dont agree it to be industry leading benchmark for build quality.

The audi S5 is the definition of that. In AND out.
Old 11-07-08, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
I dont agree it to be industry leading benchmark for build quality.

The audi S5 is the definition of that. In AND out.
Audis are not known for their reliability. The A5, like most Audis, is nice, and has a nice interior. Both have nice sheet metal, but it's hard to beat the RL's materials inside. The Audi may look nice, but its interior hardware, to my senses at least, did not feel as solid as the RLs....though, I agree, it was close.
Old 11-08-08, 06:15 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Nice review.

The 2006 RL was on my short list next to a Legacy Spec-B, M35x, G35x and the FX45 i'm driving.
I felt it was a good car, but short on power and a bit expensive for what it delivered.
How do you compare it to Infiniti's M? and what makes you think the SH-AWD is better than the ATTESA?

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Acura RL