Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Lease

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 01:13 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Considering that a loaded Genesis, if you bought one, will probably go out the door for 40K or more (I've seen V6 models in that range, much less V8s), I don't see where 5K down on a lease is really that much. This car is not an econobox, and is certainly not aimed at the same people who are buying Accents and Elantras.
Exactly. A fully loaded V8 Genesis costs about $42k...
Old 11-13-08, 01:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

A little OT, but does anyone know if the Azera will go away now that Genesis is available? Only 361 were sold in Oct. Even in this new car climate, that's not many.
Old 11-13-08, 01:40 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A little OT, but does anyone know if the Azera will go away now that Genesis is available? Only 361 were sold in Oct. Even in this new car climate, that's not many.
I haven't heard anything like that. I think it'll remain available..
Old 11-13-08, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

The Azera is, as I see it, different enough from the Genesis that, even with low sales, I don't think there will be too much overlap. The Azera, with FWD and a softer suspension, has better winter traction and a smoother ride than the Genesis, which, even without the Sport package, is a borderline sport-luxury sedan.

Given the two, for example (and I've driven both), I'd take the Azera in a heartbeat, although Hyundai needs to work on its road noise a little....that's a prolem I haven't noticed in the Genesis.
Old 11-13-08, 02:38 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Jeez Ron we are so similar sometimes its scary. Good find. Amazing though how $299 now requires 5k down today! Just few months ago, it was maybe 3k tops, 2k easy.

I have yet to drive it. I need to make time.
2k down + tax/title/acq. used to get you a brand new mazda6i at the dealership i worked at for $99 a month, cloth, no sunroof, but power locks, windows, doors and seat, as well as automanual and 30mpg
Old 11-14-08, 08:45 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I have a feeling the next Azera is going to be something really special for traditional Cadillac drivers.. Soft sprung, roomy and quiet... There are plenty of people still in this market - and there always will be...

The Azera is, as I see it, different enough from the Genesis that, even with low sales, I don't think there will be too much overlap. The Azera, with FWD and a softer suspension, has better winter traction and a smoother ride than the Genesis, which, even without the Sport package, is a borderline sport-luxury sedan.

Given the two, for example (and I've driven both), I'd take the Azera in a heartbeat, although Hyundai needs to work on its road noise a little....that's a prolem I haven't noticed in the Genesis.
Old 11-14-08, 09:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I have a feeling the next Azera is going to be something really special for traditional Cadillac drivers.. Soft sprung, roomy and quiet... There are plenty of people still in this market - and there always will be...
That would be nice, but doesn't the Genesis fill those needs too?
Old 11-14-08, 09:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When is the next Azera coming out?

That would be nice, but doesn't the Genesis fill those needs too?
Kinda. The Genesis tries to be smooth and quiet without being soft or cushy... I'd describe its driving dynamics as fairly similar in most respects to the Lexus GS or Infiniti M, for reference. Neither one of those cars are very sporty, but they don't exactly lack sporting intentions either.

For additional reference I was reading over on Sal's Genesis forums several owners of current-gen Avalons saying how the Genesis rides a little bit stiffer than the Avalon, which is still not a car I'd call super cushy.
Old 11-14-08, 09:35 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Right, guys.. I don't have any information regarding the next Azera - I only hope it'll be something for traditional luxury buyers in the U.S. Now that the Cadillac Fleetwood is gone and the Lincoln Town Car is just about gone - there's an opening for a vehicle like this. It can remain front wheel drive and been the furthest thing from sporty on the market. Since people haven't stopped getting old, there's still a market for vehicles like this... And now it's an open market...
Old 11-14-08, 10:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Good points Sal and Threxx. Lexus has room for RWD GS and LS as well as for the FWD ES. The LS and ES and to a lesser extent GS all sell well for them.

With only 300 or so Azera sales per month it makes you wonder if Hyundai needs to move quickly to establish more of an indentity for it.
Old 11-14-08, 03:08 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, guys.. I don't have any information regarding the next Azera - I only hope it'll be something for traditional luxury buyers in the U.S. Now that the Cadillac Fleetwood is gone and the Lincoln Town Car is just about gone - there's an opening for a vehicle like this. It can remain front wheel drive and been the furthest thing from sporty on the market. Since people haven't stopped getting old, there's still a market for vehicles like this... And now it's an open market...
Do you have reason to believe that this is where Hyundai intends to go with the Azera, or is this just what you hope will happen?
Old 11-14-08, 10:26 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even at $5k down that is a great price.
Old 11-15-08, 07:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Soft, cushy rides are not just for old people either. That is an often-believed but inaccurate misnomer, fed mostly by the auto press, enthusiast magazines, and sport-oriented people. Reality is a different picture.
Old 11-15-08, 08:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Saw another Genesis on the road this week. Looked GREAT.
Old 11-15-08, 10:11 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Soft, cushy rides are not just for old people either. That is an often-believed but inaccurate misnomer, fed mostly by the auto press, enthusiast magazines, and sport-oriented people. Reality is a different picture.
I agree. I started driving soft riding cars when I was in my 20s. I like traditional Cadillac/Lincoln luxury...

Quick Reply: Genesis Lease