Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Lease

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 10:13 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The answers to your questions were right in the text you quoted me on.

Originally Posted by Me
Right, guys.. I don't have any information regarding the next Azera - I only hope it'll be something for traditional luxury buyers in the U.S. Now that the Cadillac Fleetwood is gone and the Lincoln Town Car is just about gone - there's an opening for a vehicle like this. It can remain front wheel drive and been the furthest thing from sporty on the market. Since people haven't stopped getting old, there's still a market for vehicles like this... And now it's an open market...
Originally Posted by Threxx
Do you have reason to believe that this is where Hyundai intends to go with the Azera, or is this just what you hope will happen?
Old 11-15-08, 10:21 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I just found out that 2009 is the last year for the Azera....
Old 11-15-08, 02:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
That's too bad. It seemed like a pretty good car that offered a lot for the money. I'm sure the various Genesis models that are in the pipeline will more than offset the lost Azera sales.
Old 11-15-08, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That's a shame. I always liked the Azera, although I thought Hyundai took too much of the nice interior wood trim out that was in its predecessor XG300/350, and the Azera's road noise was too high, at least on the one I reviewed. Still, if next year is the last one, I may have to choose between that and a new Subaru I was considering (I like Hyundais, but have a very strong attraction to the Subie flat engine/AWD system.
Old 11-15-08, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, Sal, I posted a copy of my 3.8L Genesis review in the Hyundai Fanatics forum, if you haven't seen it. It can also be accessed here on CL.
Old 11-15-08, 08:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BTW, Sal, I posted a copy of my 3.8L Genesis review in the Hyundai Fanatics forum, if you haven't seen it. It can also be accessed here on CL.
When did you do your review for CL? I tried to Search for it. Thanks.
Old 11-16-08, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When did you do your review for CL? I tried to Search for it. Thanks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...yundai+genesis
Old 11-17-08, 05:40 PM
LexFather

So nice. lol Acura

Old 11-18-08, 11:06 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thank you! Yes, it IS a shame about the Azera. I liked it too.. It was an excellent FWD luxury car without all the bells and whistles OR the stiffer suspension. I think there are plenty of customers out there for this type of demographic. Maybe they'll bring the Sonata up a class to replace it...
Old 11-18-08, 11:30 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had the car for 2 weeks now and still quite impressed with it. What a perfectly thought out interior, we just love everything about it. We didnt check out the lease terms but there are some great deals out there.
Old 11-21-08, 08:33 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I think this information may be incorrect. There's a replacement for the Azera coming in 2010 - code named VG for Kia and HG for Hyundai. Kia doesn't currently have an "Azera". They have an XG350 in the Amanti. I'm not sure if VG is going to replace the Amanti with a new name or not. I'm also unsure if the HG will carry a new model name or simply be 'the next' Azera..

It'll be a front wheel drive vehicle with a 6-speed transmission. Sounds to me like something more along the lines of a proper Lexus ES competitor - as the Genesis strives for something more...
Old 11-21-08, 08:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I think this information may be incorrect. There's a replacement for the Azera coming in 2010 - code named VG for Kia and HG for Hyundai. Kia doesn't currently have an "Azera". They have an XG350 in the Amanti. I'm not sure if VG is going to replace the Amanti with a new name or not. I'm also unsure if the HG will carry a new model name or simply be 'the next' Azera..

It'll be a front wheel drive vehicle with a 6-speed transmission. Sounds to me like something more along the lines of a proper Lexus ES competitor - as the Genesis strives for something more...
I like the styling of the Azera. It's conservative but would age gracefully. In some ways, to me it looks just as good, as the Genesis. The Amanti, on the other hand needs work ASAP, if they're going to keep it. It looks like a Russian limo from the 60's.
Old 11-21-08, 09:09 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

My wife and I went to an Enterprise car rental store a month or so ago. There were two cars left. A Buick Lucerne and a Kia Amanti. My wife asked, "which one do you want?". I replied, "NOT the Kia!". Well, the Buick Lucerne was more expensive and my wife wanted me to be economical. Since I normally give her a hard time about things like this, I decided to let it slide......

The Kia Amanti was a pleasure to drive and very comfortable to be in. The leather was very soft and the materials were of high quality. I timed myself 0-60 in 6.1 seconds after I became curious - the car was very powerful - even at 80mph, you got pushed into your seat when flooring the accelerator. The car was extremely comfortable and roomy for something mid-size. Road noise, tire noise and wind noise was muffled nicely - but engine noise was loud.

EVERYBODY complimented me on the car. All my friends - even the wealthy ones appreciated the looks of the Amanti. I was shocked at how much people loved this $26k Kia. Looks are subjective...

A new one may look something like this...

Old 11-21-08, 01:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The refresh did smooth out the looks of the Amanti. It looks better than before IMHO.
Old 11-21-08, 01:41 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's cool about the Amanti is despite its fairly bargain price as new, it suffers terribly from depreciation... they're worth about 30% of their original selling price after 5 years and 60k miles which is among the top 10 highest rates of depreciation for any car on the market today.

What I can't seem to find out is how reliable they are and how much they cost to fix. There's not a lot of data out there for them since they didn't sell very well at all. JD Power seems to have not rated them at all. I don't really care if CR rated them or not since they seem to make up ratings arbitrarily regardless of how much data they lack. Consumerguide.com mentioned parts may be hard to come by for them, especially as years go by since they just didn't sell much.

I'd still be interested in looking at one used just for the bargain it presents. I'm not sure if I could deal with what most reviews have called horribly portly and floaty handling though.

Quick Reply: Genesis Lease