Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupid guy at gas station put 87 gas in my S5

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Stupid NJ law says people can't put gas in their own cars. But is good since I'm moving to Cali in month, yay.
Maybe so, but you will find that gas in CA is not cheap. It actually costs more there than in most other states, partly because of high CA taxes, but partly because the state's strong regulations on how gas is formulated and sold there make it a not very cost-effective market for oil companies.
Old 11-09-08, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Is one tank of low octane gas fine? Do you think its an amount you describe as short periods or long?

Good to know the consensus is that my baby will be fine. Because if it wasn't I think I would have had to hurt the guy.
Like I said earlier, if you drive gently for a few hundred miles and fill the tank back up with 93 octane in steps, I think you'll be fine. That would cover the "short period of time" in some Owners' Manuals.

And how do you know that 87 is what he put in to start with? Did you see the pump and the figures?...or did he come to you and tell you?
Old 11-09-08, 06:16 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relax man, unless you were thinking about tracking the car, it won't hurt a bit. I use 87 in my GS and have been since I started driving. I drove my last GS 160,000 miles with an issues.
Old 11-09-08, 06:49 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like I said earlier, if you drive gently for a few hundred miles and fill the tank back up with 93 octane in steps, I think you'll be fine. That would cover the "short period of time" in some Owners' Manuals.

And how do you know that 87 is what he put in to start with? Did you see the pump and the figures?...or did he come to you and tell you?

I always check if they put the right octane fuel in (this was not the first time it happened, but before I caught them before it was a full tank of lower octane fuel). I saw that the light for the 87 was on, but didn't see it soon enough and the tank was filled up by the time I went to stop it.
Old 11-09-08, 09:28 PM
LexFather

It will b fine, add some Shell V Power octane boost though.

Old 11-09-08, 09:29 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

I thought that was the case - you are not allowed to put your own gas in the tank. They have that same law in Oregon. Guess all the liberal tree huggers dont want anyone spilling gas on the concrete and polluting up those trillions of trees that are filtering the air..
Whenever I pass through there, I always try to avoid getting gas and if I have to I get out and make sure they do it right and dont mess up my vehicle. They never do it as good as I would, so I want to be sure it will at least be close. You will be ok, biggest thing is to not race the vehicle at all until you have mixed up the 87 with the higher grade. There is a way to figure out how much of the higher grade will bring up the octate rating of the lower grade, search on that if you want to, otherwise, just adding in 93 as you take down the 87 grade will work too. I would want to keep track of how many gallons I put in until I had gone over the total nbr of gallons the tank holds. Then I would be sure it is all out, but that is just me.. DanF
Old 11-09-08, 10:42 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
Most octane boosters wont even add on enough octane point to really make a difference. Just run the tank down a bit further and add in 93 octane. Your engine wont die because of this mishap. Avoid running the car hard at this time.

If you do some research on them, you will learn that you need to put a lot in to change the octane. By that point, you are better off buying the higher grade fuel.
Old 11-09-08, 11:04 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Hold on hold on.....New Jersey folks have someone else pump gas in their car? Wow! I'm on the way.
Old 11-09-08, 11:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The engine will automatically retard the ignition so, while you will not get full performance, it will not harm it in any way. As you top up the car with the higher octane fuel it will return to normal.
exactly right
it will be fine but the engine will retard the timing. you could go and pick pu some octane booster
Old 11-09-08, 11:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Hold on hold on.....New Jersey folks have someone else pump gas in their car? Wow! I'm on the way.
every time I go see friends in jersey or go on vacation to hawaii (big island) I love the fact that you dont have to pump. its a little weird