Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupid guy at gas station put 87 gas in my S5

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 01:12 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid guy at gas station put 87 gas in my S5

I clearly asked for 93 and I don't know if he maliciously did it on purpose or if he's just dumb but he put in 87 gas instead. Will this damage my engine or adversely affect my car at all? I would appreciate some help because if it does then I have to sue the SOB. It's a full tank of 87 BTW.
Old 11-09-08, 01:21 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The engine will automatically retard the ignition so, while you will not get full performance, it will not harm it in any way. As you top up the car with the higher octane fuel it will return to normal.
Old 11-09-08, 01:25 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

nope nothing bad should happen. maybe a slight decrease in performance thats about it. at least you saved a few bucks at this fill-up
Old 11-09-08, 02:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nothing bad should happen on a modern engine using lower octane gas during a fill up aside from decreased performance and maybe running a little rougher, constantly using lower octane gas over a long time could cause some issues especially if the car is driven hard. Doing it once or a few times during ownership is not going to hurt the engine.

A while ago my cousin almost put diesel in my Mitsu Eclipse, luckily the nozzle did not fit in the hole. That would have been a disaster if that happened.
Old 11-09-08, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Probably won't hurt it for one tankful. The electronics will retard the timing so the 87 won't cause any knock. But, just to be on the safe side, drive like Granny for a couple of hundered miles. Then, when it is down to half-full or so, you can put 93 back in and mix it with the El Cheapo stuff still in the tank, raising the octane in the rest of the tank a little. A couple of times doing this and it will be about back to normal. (You should not let the gas level get below one-fourth to one-third full anyway in a fuel-injected car).

Tanks can be formally drained and refilled, if necessarily, but I see little reason to do so. Just drive gently for a few hundered miles, keep refilling it, and you should be OK.
Old 11-09-08, 03:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Take a look at your owners manual. It will say that you can put the lower grade gas with no problem. You could put 87 in for the life of the car and it wouldn't "damage" the car. It just may not perform to it's potential.
Old 11-09-08, 03:31 PM
Stormwind
Racer

You can add a bottle of Chevon with Techron additive in your tank to boost the octane a little bit although it is primarily for deposit cleaning but it does increase some power.
Old 11-09-08, 05:34 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

plus there are plenty of octane boosters out there, that might be able to fix things.
Old 11-09-08, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Take a look at your owners manual. It will say that you can put the lower grade gas with no problem. You could put 87 in for the life of the car and it wouldn't "damage" the car. It just may not perform to it's potential.
This is sometimes the case, and sometimes not. Many cars that run on 93 octane can tolerate 87 octane only for short periods of time with no damage; others, as you note, can run forever on it, with reduced power.

So yes, you are correct that the Owners' Manual should be checked.....but that is not necessarily what the manual will say.
Old 11-09-08, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by leedogg
plus there are plenty of octane boosters out there, that might be able to fix things.
Some octane-boosters, though, even some of the ones the ones without lead, can screw up the catalytic converter.....others are fine. They have to be used carefully, in conjunction with manufacturer and service recommendations.
Old 11-09-08, 05:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Most octane boosters wont even add on enough octane point to really make a difference. Just run the tank down a bit further and add in 93 octane. Your engine wont die because of this mishap. Avoid running the car hard at this time.
Old 11-09-08, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
You can add a bottle of Chevon with Techron additive in your tank to boost the octane a little bit although it is primarily for deposit cleaning but it does increase some power.
Yep. Techron is GOOD stuff.
Old 11-09-08, 05:57 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Shouldn't cause any harm to your engine. As someone mentioned, use up one third of the tank and then fill it up with 93 to raise up the octane little by little. Next time always fill gas up yourself okay?
Old 11-09-08, 05:59 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is sometimes the case, and sometimes not. Many cars that run on 93 octane can tolerate 87 octane only for short periods of time with no damage; others, as you note, can run forever on it, with reduced power.

So yes, you are correct that the Owners' Manual should be checked.....but that is not necessarily what the manual will say.

Is one tank of low octane gas fine? Do you think its an amount you describe as short periods or long?

Good to know the consensus is that my baby will be fine. Because if it wasn't I think I would have had to hurt the guy.
Old 11-09-08, 06:00 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Shouldn't cause any harm to your engine. As someone mentioned, use up one third of the tank and then fill it up with 93 to raise up the octane little by little. Next time always fill gas up yourself okay?

Stupid NJ law says people can't put gas in their own cars. But is good since I'm moving to Cali in month, yay.

Quick Reply: Stupid guy at gas station put 87 gas in my S5