Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Prius coupe Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-08, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And Toyota has a variety of transmissions to choose from.

My biggest turnoff to a hybrid is that I can't get a traditional MT anymore. Honda used to offer their hybrids with MTs, but they jumped on the CVT train, which is great and the best choice, but I wont give up my standard tranny just yet.
it is not actually an cvt, it is PSD (power split device) that crucial part of full hybrid system... thats why there will be no full hybrid without it... it functions similar to cvt, but it isnt one... it feels better when driving too.

LS and GS have two gear ratios (two mode? ha ha), instead of traditional one in others, for faster lower speed accelerations...
Old 11-16-08, 11:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I read an article today, while sitting a very boring CE lecture, that was mentioning that toyota may turn prius into a brand not just a model( like scion ). It will be sold at toyota dealers. I think that will be good thing.
Old 11-22-08, 02:38 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not actually an cvt, it is PSD (power split device) that crucial part of full hybrid system... thats why there will be no full hybrid without it... it functions similar to cvt, but it isnt one... it feels better when driving too.

LS and GS have two gear ratios (two mode? ha ha), instead of traditional one in others, for faster lower speed accelerations...
Well a PSD is a type of CVT... just like the cone & belt is a type of CVT.
Old 11-22-08, 02:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Well a PSD is a type of CVT... just like the cone & belt is a type of CVT.
almost in the same way both manual and dsg transmissions are both transmissions :-).
Old 11-22-08, 03:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
almost in the same way both manual and dsg transmissions are both transmissions :-).

it's a planetary gear set...
Old 08-26-09, 09:56 PM
LexFather

Post REPORT: Upcoming Toyota Prius Coupe to get Italian design

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/08/24...talian-design/

t is a big step for the Japanese manufacturer, and according to Toyota president, Mr. Akio Toyoda, it will me an amazing result. The latest reports from Japan’s Best Car Magazine, revealed the fact the Prius Coupe will be designed by an Italian coachbuilder, possibly Pininfarina or Italdesign Giugiaro and the final product will be very close to the current Toyota Prius.

For those who don’t know, the Prius Coupe is the response to the new Honda CR-Z which will be unveiled at this year’s Tokyo Motor Show, and will go on sale in February 2010. A release date for the new Prius Coupe was not revealed but rumors show that 2010 will be the year when this new car will be unveiled!

[via bestcar]

Old 08-26-09, 10:02 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Previous reports had suggested that Toyota could either bump up the power of the 1.8-liter four cylinder powerplant from the Prius or switch to the 2.4-liter unit from the Camry Hybrid for its sporty coupe."

They need to start worrying about identity crisis. MPG should be the number one priority in a prius, period. Let's not try to make the car into a "sporty" coupe/sedan, it's just not that.

I'm working under the assumption that this 2.4L engine will provide better performance but poorer gas mileage.

But hey if they can get equal gas mileage (or better?) AND better performance then that would be just dandy.
Old 08-26-09, 10:03 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do think the exterior design looks nice and sleek, though. It's alright to spice up the exterior, just don't start messing with the MPG by trying to up the performance.
Old 08-26-09, 10:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

lol, well at least they are building coupes.
Old 08-26-09, 10:09 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Hopefully this translates to a Lexus coupe hybrid as well. Maybe an HS 250h C? Or maybe not...
Old 08-26-09, 11:52 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this idea and have been cheerleading it for a while now. It's good to have a wider range of hybrids for people. Now this may be my next car it looks good.
Old 08-27-09, 12:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would prefer anyone to do the styling of prius other than the person who has done the last two generations. Why does the car have to look so strange??? I want contemporary Italian styling but eco friendly mpg. Why do you have to look like a geek to save the world??
Old 08-27-09, 03:12 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reminds me of a stone that would be perfect for skipping. I approve!
Old 08-27-09, 03:06 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that they will, but it would be nice if the coupe version packed a little more punch.
Old 08-27-09, 03:13 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Prius looks fine, they should have sent the Lexus HS250 to get a makeover at an Italian design firm.

Quick Reply: Toyota Prius coupe Official Thread