Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335d Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-08, 05:59 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
$1-$1.50 more per gallon of fuel...
Where did you get these amounts? You need to compare premium (the 335i requirement) to diesel....
Old 11-16-08, 06:11 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The 335i is a superb car but the 335d has greater flexibility. 50-70mph in the 335i takes 6sec compared to just 3.3sec in the 335d - it's that ability to be cruising along and then just press the right foot and get instant response.
I'm going to need to see an article on that... that's way more of a difference than I believe is possible, especially after two posts before you a member already mentioned a Car and Driver article that stated the 335i was faster by all measures.
Old 11-16-08, 09:11 AM
insider
Pole Position

The 335i is a superb car but the 335d has greater flexibility. 50-70mph in the 335i takes 6sec compared to just 3.3sec in the 335d - it's that ability to be cruising along and then just press the right foot and get instant response.
50-70 in 6th gear in the 335i is indeed 6.0 seconds. The 335d 50-70 in 6th gear is 6.2 seconds, so the diesel is again slower. with both in 2nd gear, the diesel will be looking at nothing but tail lights.
Old 11-16-08, 09:29 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

This is exactly what I was talking about when I referred to the "diesel stereotype" earlier.

It 'must' be faster somewhere.

Well, it is faster somewhere... it's faster in partial throttle acceleration. If you were to limit both cars to, say, 40% of their red line, then the diesel would probably be faster and certainly have a more effortless feel to it.

But in all out acceleration the 335d just can't win. Its best shot would be 0-30 but as I already stated, that's going to be almost completely traction limited at this level of power.

I'd be more than happy to make a video of my 335i doing 50-70 and I assure you it will be far faster than 6 seconds. Maybe stuck in 6th gear it will be that slow, but seriously... you're really stretching the argument if you're going to try and point at the 335d outperforming the 335i because of 6th gear 50-70 acceleration. Not to mention "insider" seems to indicate the 335i is still faster in that test as well.

Revisiting this quote:
The 335d is a fabulous car and in the real world better and faster than the 335i petrol, but if I lived in the US the economic case doesn't stack up.
It sure seems it's hard to find "the real world" in any sort of meaningful numbers unless, again, you're referring to partial throttle limited RPM acceleration. In other words "which car is the fastest when not trying to go fast". Yawn.
Old 11-16-08, 04:12 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
This is exactly what I was talking about when I referred to the "diesel stereotype" earlier.

It 'must' be faster somewhere.
It's going to spank you off the line so bad it won't be funny.....

Yep, you will go by it at like 45, but like I said, at that point, you both will be at the next light.....

Not sure why you are having so much traction problems.
Old 11-16-08, 04:36 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
That's a pretty bold claim considering every single substantiated fact given in this thread has been shown to be moderately to heavily in the 335i's favor.

Here's a stock 335i's 1/4-mile time slip. Please reference the 60 foot time
http://www.dragtimes.com/images_time...i-Timeslip.jpg
1.889 seconds

Now go find me a stock 335d time slip that's going to 'spank' that. Hell, find me a modded 335d any quicker (on stock tires).

Yep, you will go by it at like 45, but like I said, at that point, you both will be at the next light.....
Short of a few blocks in down town Memphis I don't know of any lights that I wouldn't be up past 45 before slowing down again. Certainly none I'd consider safe to be racing around.

No problems... it's normal to experience significant wheel spin in the 0 to 20/30mph range with 330hp and 2 wheel drive.
Old 11-16-08, 04:54 PM
insider
Pole Position

The 335i is still faster than the diesel 0-30mph. The peak torque the diesel puts out is irrelevent as it is a combination of torque and gearing that matters. The gearing is very tall on the diesel because of it's low 5000 rpm redline. Actually, 1st gear in the diesel is geard like 2nd gear in the 335i. If you don't have aggressive gearing, high torque is not going to get you anywhere.
Old 11-16-08, 05:04 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

OK girls, I'm done arguing with y'all. We'll just wait for the C&D official test....

Insider, I give ya credit for almost making me spit out my drink with laughter on the 0-30 comment....

And Threxx, not sure I've seen one substantiated fact on the 0-30 times in this thread, but hey, I'll keep looking for ya.....
Old 11-16-08, 05:07 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

And Threxx, not sure I've seen one substantiated fact on the 0-30 times in this thread, but hey, I'll keep looking for ya.....
I didn't say there was one. I said every substantiated fact given in this thread has been moderately to heavily in the 335i's favor. So since we have no similar facts to go on for 0-30 times, and I've already stated my 335i is mostly traction limited up to 30, and I've also provided a damn solid 60' time for a stock 335i, I think it's now up to you to provide some evidence to the contrary.

There's one thing I will agree with you on. If you gave the 335i some drag slicks and the 335d drag slicks, the d would take it to 30 since traction would no longer be an issue. Well... then again I'm assuming the gearing in the two cars is comparable. If it's significantly taller in the 335d, then maybe not.
Old 11-16-08, 05:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

worst thing about diesel is that it has around 2.5k rpm of usable power... hence when driving fast you need to change gears often.

You guys need to drive them diesels more... 4cly petrol vs 4cly diesel, no comparo - diesel wins, in Europe... but modern V6 in the USA? Petrol is better in everything... You pay less for the car, get more performance and pay less for the gas - and of course no black clouds and no morning tractor sounds... no vibrating seats at idle (drove 535d - whole car shakes). And yes, all diesels need to clean their filters by burning off trapped particles during high speads which causes black exaust vapor, even the cleanest diesels in the market do that.

And diesel engine will last less and will be more expensive to maintain...

Thats why everyone realized they dont make sense in the USA right now.
Old 11-16-08, 06:05 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
diesel tech is less reliable.
Originally Posted by Threxx
How so?

Originally Posted by spwolf
And diesel engine will last less
Still waiting.
Old 11-16-08, 06:50 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Someone has done a comparsion between a European 535i and a European 535d and I think 535i was still faster than the 535d. Sorry I can't remember where I saw it.

Being the best sports sedan in the market, and since Car and Driver like 3-series this much, I think it is worthy for them to put M3 sedan, 335i sedan, 335d sedan, and 328i sedan altogether and test them, it should be fun.
Old 11-16-08, 08:33 PM
insider
Pole Position

Insider, I give ya credit for almost making me spit out my drink with laughter on the 0-30 comment....
Yeah, you'll be spitting out your drink again pretty soon. Just check out the 330d http://www.caranddriver.com/content/.../file/330d.pdf It redlines in 1st gear at 27mph. A time consuming shift just to get to 30 mph. Yeah, haha, funny stuff, the 335d will be a real winner 0-30 with that time consuming shift. It will be looking at the 335i's tail lights pretty fast.
Old 11-16-08, 09:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you really do not want to own a diesel car in manual, the powerband is very narrow and youll have to be extremely nit picky where your rpms are at.
Old 11-17-08, 07:50 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you really do not want to own a diesel car in manual, the powerband is very narrow and youll have to be extremely nit picky where your rpms are at.
Yet most of the Jetta TDIs sold in America are manuals. They are the most efficient.

Quick Reply: BMW 335d Pricing