Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota iQ takes top honors in Japan's Car of the Year Award

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 08:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Toyota iQ takes top honors in Japan's Car of the Year Award

Toyota iQ takes top honors in Japan's COTY award

Toyota's iQ may have won over Japan's critics, but now it will have to win over the public all around the world

Though it was up against the likes of Godzilla, the tiny Toyota iQ has come out on top at the 2008 Japan Car of the Year (JCOTY) awards. The win is seen as a potential selling point against competition like Daimler's Smart ForTwo micro car, especially in a segment that's differentiated largely on appearances.

Last year's victor was the Honda Jazz (or Fit as it's known in the U.S.), another small car that's won a lot of international praise. The iQ won this year's award for many of the same reasons: very effective use of a small amount of space, slipping 3-4 passengers into its sub-10ft (3m) length. Keeping fuel efficiency high and equipping no fewer than 9 airbags into the urban-centric vehicle also helped push it to the top.

The Citroen C5 took home the Foreign JCOTY award,and also garnered the second most points of all the finalists, though its total (223) was less than half the 526 points awarded to the iQ. Even the vaunted Nissan GT-R, winner of the Most Advanced Technology award, could only scare up 201 points. Audi's A4 and the Jaguar XF rounded out the top 5.
source
Old 11-12-08, 08:28 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a good alternative to the SmartCar. Is it coming to N.A. anytime soon?
Old 11-12-08, 08:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Smart cars?: Toyota iQ compacts are displayed during their Oct. 15 debut in the city of Chiba.
BLOOMBERG

Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2008

Toyota iQ named year's top car

Bloomberg

The Toyota iQ "microcar" has been named Japan's car of the year, giving the automaker a potential tool to lure buyers away from BMW's Mini brand, the award organizer said Tuesday.

PSA Peugeot Citroen won the import car of the year with its Citroen C5 sedan, the award's organizer said on its Web site. A committee of 65 auto-industry writers and consultants decided on the winners.

Toyota may tout the award in advertisements for the 1-liter iQ as it bids to boost sales amid slumping auto demand. Sales have fallen for three straight months in Japan and for 12 months in the U.S.

The iQ, which carries three adults with space for a child or luggage, is due to go on sale domestically Nov. 20. It costs between ¥1.4 million and ¥1.6 million. BMW's Mini One starts at ¥2.08 million. Daimler's twin-seat Smart ForTwo goes for a base price of ¥1.76 million.

Measuring just less than 3 meters, the iQ is slightly longer than the 2.4-meter Smart ForTwo and shorter than Japanese minicars, including the Daihatsu Move.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0081112n1.html
Old 11-12-08, 08:35 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

smaller than a vitz, less usable than a vitz, gets 1km/liter better, yet more expensive than a vitz. and COTY? maybe I b/c I haven't driven one...

and COTY...it's almost the end of the year.
Old 11-12-08, 08:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
smaller than a vitz, less usable than a vitz, gets 1km/liter better, yet more expensive than a vitz. and COTY? maybe I b/c I haven't driven one...

Well, a Vitz is just not the same car.

That's like comparing a Yaris with a SMART. Both have different functions. Just because a Yaris is cheaper, faster, and has more storage; doesn't mean that it functions better than the SMART. It depends on what its used for.
Old 11-12-08, 09:07 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

I'm sure that the fuel economy difference is more than that in the real world. Let's not forget easier to park and maneouver than the Vitz, and probably handles better than the Vitz. Did I mention much better interior than the Vitz? It's also lighter than the Vitz and has more airbags.
Old 11-12-08, 10:41 AM
LexFather

I am not surprised. A lot of innovation went into making the IQ. Thing is with gas prices dropping, well, I doubt Toyota brings it

Amazing how market swings can just screw forecasters...bring on SUVs

Old 11-12-08, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am not surprised. A lot of innovation went into making the IQ. Thing is with gas prices dropping, well, I doubt Toyota brings it

Amazing how market swings can just screw forecasters...bring on SUVs
Well, just because gas is relatively inexpensive here again doesn't mean that there won't be a market for it. Gas is still probably $5-7 in Europe and Japan.

And don't hold your breath for continued $2.30 a gallon gas here either. Remember two years ago, we saw the same thing.....a BIG drop in price before the November 2006 elections, only to rise again soon afterward. And with the Obama Administration probably set to raise Federal taxes on gas, that will add only more upwards push on prices.

No, in the long run, I think there will be a market for this car, even in America, where its only significant competitor (so far) is the Smart-for-Two, and the Smart is import-limited by the numbers......demand way exceeds supply. Potential buyers who don't want to wait 12-15 months for a new Smart, or have to use premium gas in the Smart (yes, it's required, believe it or not), or have an insultingly short Smart 2/24 warranty (even on the drivetrain), will, IMO, definitely take a look at a U.S.-market Toyota equivalent.

Of course, the Smart has some unique and interesting features the iQ doesn't, like the high-strength, painted steel crash-surround frame and clip-on plastic body panels where you have easy accident repair and can change the color of the whole car in a short time if desired. But, for the most part I think many customers will choose the iQ, if given the choice. If for no other reasons, they will get Toyota's 5/60 and 3/36 warranties, not have to wait a year to get one, or have to use premium gas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-08 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 02:34 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, just because gas is relatively inexpensive here again doesn't mean that there won't be a market for it. Gas is still probably $5-7 in Europe and Japan.

And don't hold your breath for continued $2.30 a gallon gas here either. Remember two years ago, we saw the same thing.....a BIG drop in price before the November 2006 elections, only to rise again soon afterward. And with the Obama Administration probably set to raise Federal taxes on gas, that will add only more upwards push on prices.

No, in the long run, I think there will be a market for this car, even in America, where its only significant competitor (so far) is the Smart-for-Two, and the Smart is import-limited by the numbers......demand way exceeds supply. Potential buyers who don't want to wait 12-15 months for a new Smart, or have to use premium gas in the Smart (yes, it's required, believe it or not), or have an insultingly short Smart 2/24 warranty (even on the drivetrain), will, IMO, definitely take a look at a U.S.-market Toyota equivalent.
Agreed

To think that gas prices are going to remain low is a tad naive. Specifically for the US market it will continue to increase as a result of your reliance on imported oil. Pickens has estimated that the current 70%, will increase to a reliance of 80% in the near future. As world demand increases and supply diminishes the natural order of progression leads to higher prices
Old 11-12-08, 02:51 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Of course, the Smart has some unique and interesting features the iQ doesn't, like the high-strength, painted steel crash-surround frame and clip-on plastic body panels where you have easy accident repair and can change the color of the whole car in a short time if desired. But, for the most part I think many customers will choose the iQ, if given the choice. If for no other reasons, they will get Toyota's 5/60 and 3/36 warranties, not have to wait a year to get one, or have to use premium gas.

I agree Mike. What I am saying is there is no demand for it NOW, so Toyota might not bring it as there were rumors they were. (to America). People here still do not like small cars. This is smaller than small, its tiny.
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Agreed

To think that gas prices are going to remain low is a tad naive. Specifically for the US market it will continue to increase as a result of your reliance on imported oil. Pickens has estimated that the current 70%, will increase to a reliance of 80% in the near future. As world demand increases and supply diminishes the natural order of progression leads to higher prices
Thing is our avg consumer seems to have the memory of a goldfish so I fully expect people to go back to their ways once the economy is doing slightly better.

Old 11-12-08, 03:02 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thing is our avg consumer seems to have the memory of a goldfish so I fully expect people to go back to their ways once the economy is doing slightly better.
Ummm....isn't this how your economy ended up in the state it's in

The rest of the world is kinda hoping that there's a learning curve here
Old 11-12-08, 03:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Ummm....isn't this how your economy ended up in the state it's in

The rest of the world is kinda hoping that there's a learning curve here
Correct or the rest of the world will continue to take a dump like we are.

Clearly the US for decades has had very cheap gas except for the 1970s crisis and we responsded with vehicles that get average gas mileage.

Top that off with our city/town layout with encourages driving.

Then we add affordable housing which is miles away from jobs.

America like Canada has tons of land so density is not an issue outside of a few cities.

Old 11-12-08, 03:08 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

nah, i think people are in that mindset now where they will try to take advantage of hybrids and other fuel efficient vehicles.. why not? if you're paying $40 to fill a corolla right now.. why not pay $30 to fill an iQ, i think it's still going to work, we as consumers are also now aware of how unstable the market is and that these low gas prices won't stick around for long
EDIT: i really like the interior of the iQ
Old 11-12-08, 03:10 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I really like this funky little car.
Old 11-12-08, 03:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

people buy small cars in Japan (and Europe) not only because they are priced less, and because they spend less gas, but because they can park and drive them easier in big cities. Parking my GS can be an nightmare sometimes, and if the kids were older, this would be car to get for my wife (altough version with 1.3l engine).

iQ is about the same price as Yaris, with similar equipment... maybe a bit cheaper that Yaris with same equipment.

It is also wider and has should space similar to Corolla.

Reason for the higher price is that many things in the car have been developed from grounds up, and that kind of R&D requires premium price.

Quick Reply: Toyota iQ takes top honors in Japan's Car of the Year Award