Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

XM Sirius dumps all classic hip hop channels

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 07:28 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
... Howard Stern, who has an unrealistic view of his own importance.
They paid him half a BILLION dollars to come on Sirius. How could he NOT have an ego the size of Texas?
Old 11-14-08, 09:16 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with the merge is the worse of the 2 companies is now in charge. Both weren't doing well but Sirius was the dog between the 2 and Mel is using the Sirius model to make changes to the XM programming, I expect a bankruptcy filing soon and they will try to start over. I listen to Sirius at work through the online player, mostly for the HS show but I also listened to Bubba in the afternoons. We got XM in our Tahoe in March, after the 3 month trial we paid $77 for a one year subscription, and that's about all it's worth. when the best of was made available I cancelled my Sirius subscritpion in hopes of adding it to my XM subscription and listening to XM online. They wouldn't add it unless I signed up for a new one year subscription for the full price, $16.95 / month. It was not worth it to me and I haven't really missed HS either, his show has been going down hill since he started on satellite.

Another note, if it's music you want go with an ipod integration, it's the only way and with the expanding free podcasts out there you have so many more options that you control and it is mobile.

Last edited by SCRUFFDOGG; 11-14-08 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-14-08, 02:09 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I read lots of people are canceling because they got rid of all the great channels, I didn't listen to them but Buzzsaw is gone and AC/DC channel, Metallica channel (I admit I'm just a casual fan so it was nice to tune in to these 2 when I wanted to hear good rock and roll, now gone), whole bunch of talk stations people liked Maxim (only one I listened to), instead they got Oprah. The only plus is now XM subs get NPR which I listen to over the air, but no real need to pay for it. They also killed the punk station on sirius that pissed off many, lots and lots of not just channels and personalities axed but whole genres (the main draw for sat radio). They argue (oh punk/classic hip hop is now on X station, maybe for an hour or two a day, but no longer 24/7, thats not good enough for the money)

Now, lo and behold, it is just another Clear Channel crap music fest, promoting crappy new artists so they can sell more songs on the backend. I hope they go out of business.

Here is all the stuff canned:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=145049

Last edited by toy4two; 11-14-08 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-15-08, 08:13 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Elvis is now on XM ch 18
Old 11-15-08, 09:23 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

i have xm and sirius and they renamed all the stations the same for both but different station numbers and they play the same songs at the same time.
Old 11-20-08, 12:05 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.petitiononline.com/RAWRHYME/

i know it might not help but it is worth a try.
Old 11-20-08, 01:07 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
The problem with the merge is the worse of the 2 companies is now in charge.
Scruffdogg,

The confusion lies, once again, with the media. They keep referring to this "merger". The companies didn't merge; Sirius bought XM. So, yeah, if there were two similar channels, Sirius kept their people and sent the XM folks packing.

November 13, 2007, Shareholders of Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. approved the company's $5 billion acquisition of rival XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. 96% of Sirius Satellite Radio shareholder's votes cast approved the acquisition
Personally, I've always liked the Sirius music programming over XM. The XM radio station played some REALLY obscure stuff. They'd play "all the artists you know" but, the songs that you didn't. They'd play songs by Men Without Hats, Katrina and the Waves, A-ha, etc. (all one-hit-wonder bands) but, they wouldn't play that particular band's hit!! Unfortunately, most of the one-hit-wonder bands of the 80's were one-hit-wonders for a reason...their other stuff sucked!
Old 11-20-08, 07:18 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have cut their own throats, stock is trading at 14 cents.