Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

XM Sirius dumps all classic hip hop channels

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 01:05 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Sirius dumps all classic hip hop channels

Just finished canceling my XM radio sub and wanted to vent. No warnings they were going to give The Rhyme the axe, I figured since they are merging I might even get Backspin from Sirius (also classic hip hop) so now instead of 2 stations, or even 1, there is absolutely no classic only hip hop, just some really ****ty "hip hop" same junk you can hear locally over the air.

So good bye XM, good bye Sirius, I suspect lots of people into car stereos were like me and only subscribed for XM's Rhyme and Sirius' Backspin.

Last edited by toy4two; 11-12-08 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 01:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

XM was only popular in the beginning, but I like Sirus better. XM is kind of junky now.
Old 11-12-08, 01:45 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i lot of people get that stuff for Howard STern........
Old 11-12-08, 01:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

cool, good move XM
Old 11-12-08, 02:01 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
XM was only popular in the beginning, but I like Sirus better. XM is kind of junky now.
Junky?

Sound quality wouldn't dictate so.

SIRIUS has some nice channels, but the sound quality is atrocious, inconsistent, and completely lacking in highs. (yes i was listening through a factory SIRIUS set up), it sounds liek a 48k, or 56k mp3, maybe 64k, during the day as they change bitrates constantly for sports channels.

XM, OTOH has nice highs, lacks just a bit in the mids, but is just right on the bass, sounding closer to a 96, or 128kbps mp3. But most importantly is CONSISTENT.
Old 11-12-08, 02:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

junky as in the selection of music. XM seems to have more commencials on music channel than I can remember from 3 years ago. A lot of people have turned away from XM and went to Sirius instead. Obviously there are people (like you) who like XM so who likes what shouldn't be disputed.

I've never had a problem with Sirius or XM as far as music quality goes.
Old 11-12-08, 02:42 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Sirius and XM both have awful programming. Sirius channels pretty much have the same songs over and over for up to a year. I dumped XM because I didn't like any of the electronic music stations at all. I went to Sirius for Howard Stern and listened to the show deteriorate over the course of a year and a half. iPod for me.
Old 11-12-08, 02:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I agree. Ipod > satellite radio. My own choice of music plus no commercials
Old 11-12-08, 05:48 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost everybody in this thread except the OP seems the be unaware that XM and Sirius just merged their lineups into one.

No more arguing about who has the better lineup... they're now identical, which is exactly what the OP was complaining about... during the merger he lost all classic hip hop stations.

For me, personally, it depends how you define classic. I like some stuff from as early as 92-93 but that's about it. Before then it just sounded ridiculous... even 75% of the early mid 90s stuff sounds retarded to me.

Hip hop just doesn't seem to have as much classic staying power as other forms of music. Some good old school jazz or rock never sound dated.
Old 11-12-08, 10:00 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am very pissed this happened. 65 The Rhyme was a great channel. They screwed up a lot of channels. i think this might make XM/Sirus go under.
Old 11-12-08, 10:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...-the-line.aspx

Stock is almost worthless...
Old 11-12-08, 10:18 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Almost everybody in this thread except the OP seems the be unaware that XM and Sirius just merged their lineups into one.

No more arguing about who has the better lineup... they're now identical, which is exactly what the OP was complaining about... during the merger he lost all classic hip hop stations.

For me, personally, it depends how you define classic. I like some stuff from as early as 92-93 but that's about it. Before then it just sounded ridiculous... even 75% of the early mid 90s stuff sounds retarded to me.

Hip hop just doesn't seem to have as much classic staying power as other forms of music. Some good old school jazz or rock never sound dated.
I know they merged. Combining two terrible sets of programming does not bode well for subscribers.
Old 11-14-08, 12:48 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was listening to the XM Rhyme 65 when it went off the air Tuesday night, as I was pumping gas a song ended and all went silent, the display kept saying updating, little did I know that was it, no wonder they are trading at 25 cents a share.
Old 11-14-08, 06:33 AM
Powar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No comments about the loss of other stations?

Yea... I'd occasionally listen to Backspin with my Sirius subsciption. The Beat is gone, too. Some of the best rock stations are also MIA. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep my subscription or not.
Old 11-14-08, 06:36 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use an XM unit in my 18 wheeler and have enjoyed it since it's very beginning. This merger was just VERY BAD. The channels are now all screwed up, we lost some very enjoyable channels, Suite 62 and Sonic Theater 163, were my personals. Now they have been restructured and they are not as good. Sirius has been firing XM people left and right everyday and the programming is not getting any better. I HAATTTTEEE that over rated tool, Howard Stern, who has an unrealistic view of his own importance. Give my Opie & Anthony with lil Jimmy Norton anyday!!!

Quick Reply: XM Sirius dumps all classic hip hop channels