Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I just don't get Audi...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 04:38 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
As for the 3.2 model, I believe the A4 is getting the supercharged 3.0.
I don't think the A4 is getting the SC 3.0 but the S4 is and has been confirmed (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/02/p...-2009-audi-s4/). If the S5 is any indication then the S4 will be starting at around $50k, if that's the case I would just suck it up and get the M3 sedan for not much more but with almost 100 more hp...

Better performance too I would assume.

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 11-13-08 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-13-08, 04:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Hmm, I gotta disagree. I've driven the new 3.2 Quattro, fully loaded with the Audi Drive Select and the car in itself is far more planted than a comparable Japanese entrant (read, Acura/Lexus). The engine is NOT as fast as the 335i or is350, but then again 6.1 0-60 isn't slow, let's get real. The overall driving experience seemed more smooth than the previous A4. The exterior was built exceptionally well (solid, solid doors, great panel gaps, excellent paint), and I thought the interior was as well. I've clamoured on VW for downgrading interior components for the new Golf/Passat, but this is not the case. Exceptional build quality, soft touch materials everywhere. Much better than the 3-Series and C-Class in my opinion. The IS is not comparable as far as I can feel, with it's hard plastics and mismatched panels (under steering wheel for instance). Even the tactile motion of Lexus's interior buttons is no longer top of class - Audi does it better. The A4 continues the tradition of bar-setting build quality. Not sure how you could argue otherwise. There was nothing "cheap" about the interior, besides the hard leather (WTF?). Exceptionally well built car in my opinion.

As far as feeling floaty, did your car have Audi Drive Select? It tweaks the steering and damping depending on mode. You can complain about pricing, but this is a premium German luxury sedan, with the features and build to back it up. Radar cruise, check. Blind spot monitoring, check. B&O Audio, Bi-Xenon adaptive lighting, etc, etc. It gets pricy, but so does the 3 and C. I thought it was a great car, with a much more useable backseat than the previous two A4 gens, which were so tiny.
The IS interior to me gets picked on a lot and I just got a 250 loaner and its excellent and feels like you are in a more expensive car. There are a few cheaper bits, like all cars in this class has.

Audi's have never been great at steering and handling, they are okay at best and no better/worse than a Lexus.\

Still the A4 has always been a good car that a lot of people just "sleep" on.

Only way to go for me is S4.

Old 11-13-08, 05:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems like every car maker is turning to the cheap interior method to cut costs. Infiniti started this trend and has sold a ton of cars. WHy not copy a successful formula. So we enthusiasts suffer. Big deal.
I went to check out the new CTS yesterday. I was fairly impressed with the car. In fact, I can't understand why Lexus can't make cars with super leg and trunk room. Back to the post topic. The interior lay-out looked very nice. Looks pretty good actually...but it's a faux good. After rubbing and touching everything, I could feel how cheaply made everything inside was. The seating felt great but the dash and console felt like a 15K Honda. It's a sign of the times. Audi is just following the others...sadly.
Old 11-13-08, 05:13 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
I don't think the A4 is getting the SC 3.0 but the S4 is and has been confirmed (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/02/p...-2009-audi-s4/). If the S5 is any indication then the S4 will be starting at around $50k, if that's the case I would just suck it up and get the M3 sedan for not much more but with almost 100 more hp...

Better performance too I would assume.
Can't say I pay much attention to the A4 but I do read the European Car Mags and I believe AutoCar had a review of the 4 with the 3.0. Seems a little light for the S4. I just don't remember whether the auto mags say the 3.0 replaces the 3.2 in the A6 or whether there will be three engines available in that line but I know the A6 will get it. And that is the one I am most interested in. While I do like the A8, the A6 seems to be roomy enough for me so it isn't so easy to justify the extra cost. But if the new 7 gets a back up camera, that could change things. I know, I know, the 7 competes with the A8 but for now, I like the A6 better than the 5 and not sure the A8 offers me that much more but the bimmer I am interested in will be the new 7. Of course that can change because the deals on the A8 are fantastic. But I want both the new 7 and the freshened A6 to be out for at least a year before I get interested other than auto show comparo.
Old 11-13-08, 05:45 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I love the new A4's interior. Design, materials used, and fit and finish are all top notches in the class. BMW's current interior design is a joke.
Old 11-13-08, 06:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I love the new A4's interior. Design, materials used, and fit and finish are all top notches in the class. BMW's current interior design is a joke.
Design? Yes, I have never liked the cold, flat upright dashes and boring door panels that they use. That said, BMW materials are first rate IMO. Definitely a step above recent Audi offerings.

IMO...Lexus>BMW>Audi> the others for overall interior quality. S Class and CL interiors are about the only nice things Mercedes has going IMO. C, ML, GL, E, CLK, SL, and others all have pretty average or poor interiors compared to their rivals. Infiniti is really upping their game and I have always loved the M interior, plus the new EX and FX are beautiful...the G is just a little bit sparse. Not sure if I would rank Mercedes or Infiniti as better, but would probably lean towards Infiniti.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 11-13-08 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-13-08, 07:09 PM
Hazelrah
Rookie

I was at this event on Monday. Overall I thought it was an awesome event, lots of track time and a great opportunity to compare the different cars at once.

Might be because I'm not a great driver, but I couldn't really choose which one was "better" among the IS250, 328, and the A4. Even though the IS250 and 328 were underpowered, they felt plenty quick from the start and handled the corners well. In fact, many of the other drivers said they were impressed by the Lexus when the Audi rep asked their thoughts.

The C class was so clearly a complete POS that it made me wonder if we got bad models. I don't remember reading any reviews that indicated it was this bad.

I think if I were getting a car in this class, I would definitely get the IS. It's probably a couple thousand dollars cheaper, and IMO you get a better interior and the performance is not objectively worse than the BMW or Audi.

Btw, after the event I got to drive the A5. Fun car, but interior was not my taste (and possibly worse than the A4, but I may be forgetting). Hard to compare though until the IS coupe comes out!
Old 11-13-08, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and about the event, i am very confused, they seem to be very biased by putting the 3.2 v6 against the lower end models from competitors?
They're comparing AWD vehicles and only IS250 and 328 models have that AFAIK.
Old 11-13-08, 08:00 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They're comparing AWD vehicles and only IS250 and 328 models have that AFAIK.
There is a 335xi.

G35 also has an AWD variant call G35x.

IMO Audi was just making excuses in order to stack up the comparison in its favor, that's all.
Old 11-13-08, 08:08 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

The four circle clan from Ingolstadt gets it just fine. They have been steadily gaining market share from BMW and Mercedes and are setting the standard with style and function. They want to sell cars, and that's what you get with their entry level sedans. If you want performance, you have to pony up for the S line of cars (RS4, S4, S5, S6 etc)......just like Benz with AMG, BMW with M, Lexus with IS-F etc. I don't know what kind of performance you are expecting from a V-6 (new GT-R excluded) but the IS350, 330i, and C350 etc. aren't setting the luxury 4 door market ablaze by any means!
Old 11-13-08, 08:42 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 8speed
I don't know what kind of performance you are expecting from a V-6 (new GT-R excluded) but the IS350, 330i, and C350 etc. aren't setting the luxury 4 door market ablaze by any means!
Uh... Excuse me?

Let's recap:

G37: 3.7L V6, 328 hp, 269 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $33,250

IS350: 3.5L V6, 306 hp, 277 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $36,605

TL SH-AWD: 3.7L V6, 305 hp, 273 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $38,505

CTS DI: 3.6L V6, 304 hp, 273 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $35,975

C350: 3.5L V6, 268 hp, 258 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $36,900

A4 3.2L: 3.2L V6, 265 hp, 243 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $40,000

Didn't include 335i and 330i because 335i is TT charged and both use I6, not V6.

We can see that A4 has the least competitive V6 in the class but has the highest base MSRP. Like I said, Audi needs to get with the program...

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 11-13-08 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-13-08, 09:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Uh... Excuse me?

Let's recap:

G37: 3.7L V6, 328 hp, 269 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $33,250

IS350: 3.5L V6, 306 hp, 277 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $36,605

TL SH-AWD: 3.7L V6, 305 hp, 273 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $38,505

CTS DI: 3.6L V6, 304 hp, 273 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $35,975

C350: 3.5L V6, 268 hp, 258 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $36,900

A4 3.2L: 3.2L V6, 265 hp, 243 lb-ft of torque. Base MSRP: $40,000

Didn't include 335i and 330i because 335i is TT charged and both use I6, not V6.

We can see that A4 has the least competitive V6 in the class but has the highest base MSRP. Like I said, Audi needs to get with the program...
Agree 101%. The IS350 and 335i in particular can snap off 0-60 in less than 5 seconds and blast through the quarter mile with similar authority and speed. To me, that is "ablaze" . They both have nicer interiors, cost less, and seem more engaging to drive than the A4 3.2.

Audi came out with a "good" car at a price that effectively makes it "alright" when similarly equipped to competitors. The entry level luxury class is filled with top notch, compelling offerings but Infniti, Lexus, and BMW are arguably the bullies here, and Audi came out with a car that is more expensive, slower, less powerful, less attractive (IMO), and that has a cheaper interior (IMO).

It's hard to really consider the A4 a compelling car in the face of the IS, 3, and G37...and even the C, TL, and CTS. It just doesn't do anything better than any of them and costs more than all.
Old 11-13-08, 09:33 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The IS interior to me gets picked on a lot and I just got a 250 loaner and its excellent and feels like you are in a more expensive car. There are a few cheaper bits, like all cars in this class has.

Audi's have never been great at steering and handling, they are okay at best and no better/worse than a Lexus.\

Still the A4 has always been a good car that a lot of people just "sleep" on.

Only way to go for me is S4.

I have to disagree. I've owned an IS, and also a Passat, which is an Audi A4 platform sharing car. You know the Japanese need to improve when the Passat has nicer weighted steering than the IS. I have two Accords right now - the steering and overall "isolation" from the road cannot equal the best the Germans can throw up. Rolling down the highway at 70mph and the Accord steering feels like Jello, the large totally unsporty steering wheel rolling back and forth like it's a virtual joystick or something. There is little connection to the road. Sadly, this is the same way every Camry/Lexus and Honda/Acura I've driven has been. Faint, overboosted, fake. It's not German crisp. You really have to drive these cars day in and day out to appreciate what I'm talking about (or just go drive a 5 Series, and then go drive a Lexus GS). At the end of the day, whether it be B5, B6, B7 or B8, have always felt distinctly "german" to me. In my opinion, Infiniti/Nissan has come the closest to creating a true performance Japanese car with that taut, tuetonic feel.

I am not trying to sound like I'm partial towards the Audi, after all there is a reason I have two Japanese cars. But there is something to be said for the "German feel", in my experience. As for the IS interior, the Accord also gets praised by many people for being "top of class". That is sadly not close to the truth. Like I said, the Passat wipes Honda clean in terms of build quality, and that statement moves beyond the interior. The IS is well built, just not up to the standards Audi sets. That's just my opinion

You mean the "program" of steadily increasing your sales, profits and marketshare for seven consecutive years? Yeah, Audi is doing so bad with their current product lines. The A4 will sell more units worldwide than any Toyota Atezza/IS - In fact, many of them will be off to Japan's left, in China, where Audi rules supreme. Audi is a global powerhouse that has threatened BMW and Diamler so much that they are actually collaborating on joint efforts. Those two Germans don't have a parent company with pocket's as deep as Volkswagen to fall back on.
Old 11-14-08, 04:29 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
lol and we were considering the q7 and now the upcoming rs5!
hey don't get me wrong, the Q7 is a great vehicle.

I enjoy it every time i go out with it.

The only gripes I have about it are the incessant beeping it makes, 1st car delivered to the northeast jersey area niggles and wiggles and the dealership.

They should have all the kinks worked out and you should have a blast in ownership if you choose to do so.
Old 11-14-08, 06:02 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Agree 101%. The IS350 and 335i in particular can snap off 0-60 in less than 5 seconds and blast through the quarter mile with similar authority and speed. To me, that is "ablaze" . They both have nicer interiors, cost less, and seem more engaging to drive than the A4 3.2.
l.
I believe when he said "ablaze", he was talking about their level's of sales. Like most cars, the larger engine offering sells very few compared to their entry engine model. The IS350 may wipe up the V6 Audi Speed wise, but most cars will not be sold with a V6 in them. Many more IS250's will sell, same as 2.0T's in the A4. Out of those two, I wonder which one is faster?

Speaking of faster, I do not believe the goal of the A4 is to be the fastest car in it's segment. Although they do have one commercial commenting on that, Audi has never been about being the fastest car. It is about controlled performance (Quattro), while offering features and luxury that someone buying a premium car is expecting. If you want speed go buy yourself an Evo.

Quick Reply: I just don't get Audi...