Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I just don't get Audi...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 11:11 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower

Audi should just elminate the A4 3.2 and start the SC 3.0 S4 at around low to mid 40's.
This is exactly what I think Audi should do. A4 2.0T vs. 328i vs. IS250 vs. C300 Sport. S4 vs. 335i vs. IS350 vs. C350 Sport vs. G37. RS4 vs. M3 vs. IS-F vs. C63 AMG.
Old 11-17-08, 12:11 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly imo they should make whatever sell. fyi: BMW and MB don't bring all their cars to America.

After thinking about Toyota/Scion make these duplicate copies of cars that sell. So I say make whatever the people will buy.
Old 11-17-08, 04:22 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you very much.

I rest my case...

The best info we have so far on the S4 is 333 hp so I am sticking with that. I'll say it again, at around $54k and if AWD is not needed I just don't see a point of getting that over the M3 sedan.

RS4 vs M3: good match up if price is not a factor
S4 vs M3: eh...
S4 vs 335xi: good match up if price is not a factor
A4 3.2 vs. 335xi: good match up (pricing wise...) if performance is not a factor
A4 3.2 vs. 328xi: good match up if price is not a factor
A4 2.0T vs. 328xi: good match up

Audi should just elminate the A4 3.2 and start the SC 3.0 S4 at around low to mid 40's.
Um most A4 sales have always been the 1.8T and 2.0T models. The 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2L V6 engines have always been limited sellers. These V6's are not the narrow-angle design VW uses in their cars.

Gotta say, I'd love them to somehow fit the corporate 3.6L VR6 powerplant in the car. The Passat CC can pull off sub-6 seconds sprints to 60 with that engine - And it's an absolute screamer. And the 2.0T is an excellent motor, even moreso in it's latest form in the 2009 A4.

With all that said, VW/Audi is not run by a bunch of morons; they obviously did their homework when introducing the 3.2 V6 unit at its said price tag and felt that it was an acceptable motor for the application. Most people that go test drive these cars will still admire the car, it's smooth, quick, quiet, luxurious. Like I said before, not everybody is going out and basing their car buying decisions on a .4 second spread to 60MPH under wide open throttle (even though many of you talk like that is all that matters in a car). Many will take into account the generous rear-seat space, the way the car is styled, etc. Audi obviously is doing something right if you look at their sales numbers here and globally.
Old 11-17-08, 06:50 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
Audi obviously is doing something right if you look at their sales numbers here and globally.
I see, so what Audi is to the luxury market is what Toyota is to the mainstream market. Got it, since sales figures is king...

Old 11-17-08, 06:53 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

I see, so what Audi is to the luxury market is what Toyota is to the mainstream market. Got it, since sales figures is king...

They don't sell cars to lose money.....well, unless you're Ford or GM
Old 11-17-08, 07:16 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Could you clarify this statement further? Yes Toyota has been and is doing many things correctly. There is a reason they are number one, just as there is a reason Diamler and BMW are worried sick over Audi.
Old 11-17-08, 07:28 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
Could you clarify this statement further? Yes Toyota has been and is doing many things correctly. There is a reason they are number one, just as there is a reason Diamler and BMW are worried sick over Audi.
I was just a bit disappointed at the direction Audi took that's all. However that's totally understandable since I also understand how Toyota's philosophy differ than other automakers.

IMO BMW has nothing to worry about, the 3er is better than the A4 hands down in performance and fit-and-finish, the only advantages the A4 has is interior volume and possible styling. However, beauty is in the eyes of beholders. MB on the other end is a different story...
Old 11-17-08, 07:41 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I was just a bit disappointed at the direction Audi took that's all. However that's totally understandable since I also understand how Toyota's philosophy differ than other automakers.

IMO BMW has nothing to worry about, the 3er is better than the A4 hands down in performance and fit-and-finish, the only advantages the A4 has is interior volume and possible styling. However, beauty is in the eyes of beholders. MB on the other end is a different story...
hmm While I am the first to admire BMWs relatively high quality cabin's, I don't believe they hold up to the avant-grade levels of overall fit and finish and just attention to detail of Audi products. Yes the 3-Series has always been the best performer in it's class, but that didn't stop other brands from enroaching on it's market share (Acura TL, Infiniti G, etc.). Consumers, espcially American consumers, look for practicality and value, among various other aspects when shopping for a new vehicle. 0-60 times and overall performance, while important, are not usually at the top of the list. If it was, I couldn't imagine how Toyota would be so large The A4 is a real competitor to the 3-Series, and worldwide sales for the new model are very positive. Just becuase the 3 has slightly better performance doesn't mean the A4 is a floaty boat. I've found it to exibit that old world German tuetonic feel. Tight, controlled, subtle, never harsh, always lively. I can't really say the same for all car that compete in this class. So yes BMW and Mercedes do have a lot to worry about, as they have publicly stated. Audi has had and is engaged in a full out product offensive, from the R8, to the Q5, Q7, the new A4, the A5, upcoming A7, a new A8, etc. They have all been extremely well recieved from the automotive press, and sales reflect it. Perhaps the largest advantage that Audi has is that they are backed up by their parent company VW AG, one which has extremely deep pockets and can sustain themselves on entry emerging markets of small cars, etc. BMW doesn't have that luxury.
Old 11-17-08, 07:54 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
Perhaps the largest advantage that Audi has is that they are backed up by their parent company VW AG, one which has extremely deep pockets and can sustain themselves on entry emerging markets of small cars, etc. BMW doesn't have that luxury.
Totally agree on that statement and that's also the same advantage Lexus has over BMW/MB.

Even though that I still don't get Audi's strategy in the entry lux market but I think that in the foreseeable future it'll be Toyota and VAG fighting for the top spot of the global auto market. GM will be a solid number three, however, everyone should keep an eye on the wild card: Hyundai.

Personally I really like the new A4's styling but that car just simply has too many flaws that'll keep it from becoming a major player in the entry lux market in the NA. Like I said, 3er has nothing to worry about. Actually, take away Audi's sales in China then the picture all of the sudden doesn't look all that rosy anymore. Audi and VW have a head start in China thus they dominated that market in the late 90s and early 00s when China's economy took off. However, China is no longer VAG's private playing ground with other luxury makers like BMW, MB and even Lexus and Acura eating away Audi's market share. Although only little by little but eventually Audi will have to share the market with them just like they do here in NA.

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 11-17-08 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 08:32 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Personally I really like the new A4's styling but that car just simply has too many flaws that'll keep it from becoming a major player in the entry lux market in the NA. Like I said, 3er has nothing to worry about. Actually, take away Audi's sales in China then the picture all of the sudden doesn't look all that rosy anymore. Audi and VW have a head start in China thus they dominated that market in the late 90s and early 00s when China's economy took off. However, China is no longer VAG's private playing ground with other luxury makers like BMW, MB and even Lexus and Acura eating away Audi's market share. Although only little by little but eventually Audi will have to share the market with them just like they do here in NA.
I agree with some of this, although I know Acura has crashed and burned in the Chinese market. Lexus is in no position to overtake Audi for luxury sales leader any time soon. I would still say that the A4 is better positioned than ever to be a real player in the entry level sports sedan market. It's largest demerit, it's tight back seat, has been rectified. It has styling that has recieved critical acclaim, and the 2.0T has been hailed by the automotive press as a marvel of engineering, and the overall package is built to very high levels of quality. It's a very attractive car, at a competitive price. Yes I know it's fraction of a second slower to 60mph under full throttle with the optional V6 motor, but like I said before, most buyers are not worried about such negligible differences. Even so, the vast majority of A4s will be sold with the 2.0T motor, which IS the most sophisticated and quickest motor in it's class. This car certainly has less flaws than other entrants in this class. I don't believe in the rational that only becuase the car is a fraction of a second slower to 60 than some other cars that it automatically forces the car to the rear of the pack. A car is so much more than that in my opinion.

Audi is a very small player in N. America still, but it's Acura/Lexus/BMW/MB who are going to have to start making room, even moreso when Audi Execs want their own plant here.
Old 11-17-08, 08:39 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Totally agree on that statement and that's also the same advantage Lexus has over BMW/MB.

Even though that I still don't get Audi's strategy in the entry lux market but I think that in the foreseeable future it'll be Toyota and VAG fighting for the top spot of the global auto market. GM will be a solid number three, however, everyone should keep an eye on the wild card: Hyundai.

GM number 3? Not only are they losing billions in market share as we speak, they are so desperate as to pursue a merger with their arch rival Chrysler, they are on the verge of filing for chapter 11
Old 11-17-08, 08:44 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
Audi is a very small player in N. America still, but it's Acura/Lexus/BMW/MB who are going to have to start making room, even moreso when Audi Execs want their own plant here.
Replace Audi with Lexus.
Replace N. America with China.
Replace Acura/Lexus/BMW/MB with Audi/BMW/MB.

As long as others are gaining then that means Audi's market share is shrinking over there in China.

As for the A4 I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 11-17-08, 09:34 PM
LexFather

I think some of the issue with Audi here is what the hell is an Audi? B/C BMW has the "sporty" image on lock, Benz has the "luxury" image and you have this other German car maker that makes good looking cars, great interiors but really only had the "AWD" tag.

Today, well everyone from Caddy to Acura to lexus to Saab offers AWD.

I like Audi's new ads, "not the status quo" and showing how good looking the cars are. I have said for YEARS there is no more room for another Tier 1 brand. You get 3 and in America its BMW/Benz/Lexus.

Audi blew its chance in the 1990s when Lexus came full steam ahead.

Old 11-17-08, 09:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Audi and Subaru, however, offer a quality of AWD that few other manufacturers can match. Perhaps the only other other serious contender is the SH-AWD system from Acura.
Old 11-18-08, 07:51 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think some of the issue with Audi here is what the hell is an Audi? B/C BMW has the "sporty" image on lock, Benz has the "luxury" image and you have this other German car maker that makes good looking cars, great interiors but really only had the "AWD" tag.

I like Audi's new ads, "not the status quo" and showing how good looking the cars are. I have said for YEARS there is no more room for another Tier 1 brand. You get 3 and in America its BMW/Benz/Lexus.

Audi blew its chance in the 1990s when Lexus came full steam ahead.
I would say that Audi's offer style. IMO they are definitely one of the better looking designs on the inside and out, and if performance isnt that big a deal (and for most people, comon you only need so much), the Audi is perfect. For me, the beauty of the S5 is such that I would consider it over a BMW/Lexus/Benz.