Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I just don't get Audi...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 09:40 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just don't get Audi...

Went to the Audi performance driving event last Friday and I had an opportunity to drive the A4 3.2 Quattro on the infield track at California Speedway in Fontana as well as its competitors (328xi, IS250 AWD and C300 4Matic). Overall I have to say that I am not impressed by the new A4 at all.

The interior material quality is no longer class leading, both the Lexus and Bimmer have better quality materials. Fit and finish is still top notch but which one isn't in this segment? Okay, maybe not so much for the Infiniti...

I wasn't too impressed by its performance as well, the 3.2L V6 is a disgrace especially in the entry lux segment, Audi needs to get with the program by offering a more competitive V6. The steering is light, lighter than the IS250 (yes, you heard me right), although still confident through corners and turns but 328xi blows the A4 out of the water in that area. Chassis doesn't appear to be as rigid as the Bimmer and Merc (like a tank but not in a good way) but slightly better than the Lexus. If I have to rank the 4 cars just based on performance it would be:

328xi > A4 3.2 Quattro > IS250 AWD >>> C300 4Matic

Overall while taking everything into consideration the ranking would be:

328xi > IS250 AWD > A4 3.2 Quattro >> C300 4Matic

The loaded A4 3.2 Quattro that I drove carries a sticker of $48k and a loaded 2.0T Quattro commends $44k. I find myself asking a question: Why should I get the A4 at that kind of price with less performance while I can get something else cheaper like the G35, 335i and IS350? Sure you would say AWD but let's not forget that the G35 and 335i also have AWD variants. One of the Audi rep told me that the A4 is meant to compete with the 328i and they have the S4 to compete with the 335i. OK, Mr. Smart Guy, then can you please tell me why should I buy a S4 at over $50k while with couple grands more I can get myself a M3 sedan?

Also, if the A4 3.2 is meant to compete with the 328i then what should the 2.0T compete with? The Honda Accord?

I just don't get Audi.

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 11-13-08 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-13-08, 09:42 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
The interior material quality is no longer class leading, both the Lexus and Bimmer have better quality materials. Fit and finish is still top notch but which one isn't in this segment? Okay, maybe not so much for the Infiniti...
really?? That's a bummer . I've seen the new A4s lately, but I've never been in one....time for a visit to the dealership!
Old 11-13-08, 09:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just don't get Audi.
Audi, IMO, has performance and exterior design as their main selling points. Even their FWD vehicles perform better than some RWD competitors.

However, I have never been impressed with their build quality (including reliability) and interior designs. And their prices easily turn me off.

I get Audi. I just don't go get their cars...
Old 11-13-08, 09:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Went to the Audi performance driving event last Friday and I had an opportunity to drive the A4 3.2 Quattro on the infield track at California Speedway in Fontana as well as its competitors (328xi, IS250 AWD and C300 4Matic). Overall I have to say that I am not impressed by the new A4 at all.

I wasn't too impressed by its performance as well, the 3.2L V6 is a disgrace especially in the entry lux segment, Audi needs to get with the program by offering a more competitive V6. The steering is light, lighter than the IS250 (yes, you heard me right), although still confident through corners and turns but 328xi blows the A4 out of the water in that area. Chassis doesn't appear to be as rigid as the Bimmer and Merc (like a tank but not in a good way) but slightly better than the Lexus. If I have to rank the 4 cars just based on performance it would be:

328xi > A4 3.2 Quattro > IS250 AWD >>> C300 4Matic

Overall while taking everything into consideration the ranking would be:

328xi > IS250 AWD > A4 3.2 Quattro >> C300 4Matic

The loaded A4 3.2 Quattro that I drove carries a sticker of $48k and a loaded 2.0T Quattro commends $44k. I find myself asking a question: Why should I get the A4 at that kind of price with less performance while I can get something else cheaper like the G35, 335i and IS350? Sure you would say AWD but let's not forget that the G35 and 335i also have AWD variants. One of the Audi rep told me that the A4 is meant to compete with the 328i and they have the S4 to compete with the 335i. OK, Mr. Smart Guy, then can you please tell me why should I buy a S4 at over $50k while with couple grands more I can get myself a M3 sedan?

Also, if the A4 3.2 is meant to compete with the 328i then what should the 2.0T compete with? The Honda Accord?

I just don't get Audi.
I said many of the same things when I saw the new A4 at the Atlanta Auto Show but nobody believed me. Many of the plastics on the interior seem to be a cut behind the old car, though many competitors are all doing the same thing now as they change the blends they are using for interior components due to environmental concerns. I just don't think that Audi got the mix as right as Lexus or BMW did. The dash in particular feels hollow, as do some of the door panels. Audi interiors always used to be somewhat cold, but they have now become just a bit too cold for my tastes. The A8 still has the nicest interior and I hope they don't mess up the new ones.

That said, the biggest disappointment with the new A4 is probably the exterior IMO. The VW lineage is all too clear as it looks almost identical to a Passat IMO.
Old 11-13-08, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have never thought audi interior being class leading. lexus has always been nicer imho.

and about the event, i am very confused, they seem to be very biased by putting the 3.2 v6 against the lower end models from competitors?
Old 11-13-08, 10:48 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
and about the event, i am very confused, they seem to be very biased by putting the 3.2 v6 against the lower end models from competitors?
Indeed... and here are their justifications:

1. The competitors have to be AWD (personally I don't give a s*** about AWD since I live in So Cal) so that eliminates the C350 and IS350.

2. According to one of the rep the 335xi is more of a S4 competitor which IMO that's bunch of BS as I stated before.

3. The G35x isn't included in the comparison because it doesn't sell in enough quantities... Wha?

It's very obvious that Audi went to the extreme trying to stack up the comparison in their favor as much as possible. It's almost to a point that I have lost respect to the brand. Like I said, if the A4 3.2 competes with the IS250 and 328i then what does the A4 2.0T compete with? Honda Accord?
Old 11-13-08, 10:50 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have never thought audi interior being class leading. lexus has always been nicer imho.

and the sad thing is, they still lost according to the OP's opinion lol

I like Audi's but I'd never pay for them with my own money.

The Q7 in our stable is my dad's and he can't wait to get rid of it (because of the gas price shock when it used to cost $5.00/gallon and that the Audi dealer is a bunch of crooks)
Old 11-13-08, 11:04 AM
LexFather

Audi is my 2nd fav luxury brand but yeah the new A4 is a head scratcher.
1. 2.0 FWD car is good but still, FWD. Basically a TSX fighter, same size, both FWD, both I-4.
2. 3.2 V-6 costs like a 335/IS 350 etc but is clearly slower and less athletic.
3. The A4 is much bigger now, 5-6 inches longer than the 3/C/IS.
4. The styling is just like any Audi the past 15 years and step back IMO.
5. The S4 is priced like a 335 with options and blends 335/M3 performance.

To be honest I think its going to sell in America better b/c its simply "bigger".

Old 11-13-08, 11:19 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
5. The S4 is priced like a 335 with options and blends 335/M3 performance.

To be honest I think its going to sell in America better b/c its simply "bigger".
The 335i starts at around $40k and tops out at a bit over $50k. If the S5 can be any indication the new S4, with the supercharged V6 with around 340hp (folks, that's almost 100hp LESS than the M3), will start at around $50k. That to me, is not "priced like a 335i".

I agree with everything else you stated.
Old 11-13-08, 02:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol good exaplanation "attempt" by them but imho it's still fail and very lame

my friend went and he had the same observation. he asked and the answer the rep gave was even worse. the rep said it's due to pricing, they want to put cars with similar pricing to each other. i don't know what the rep smoked that day but if that's the case, that put the a4 in a very stupid position
Old 11-13-08, 02:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by nabbun
and the sad thing is, they still lost according to the OP's opinion lol

I like Audi's but I'd never pay for them with my own money.

The Q7 in our stable is my dad's and he can't wait to get rid of it (because of the gas price shock when it used to cost $5.00/gallon and that the Audi dealer is a bunch of crooks)
lol and we were considering the q7 and now the upcoming rs5!
Old 11-13-08, 04:11 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If things like the perception of the build quality, feel of materials, etc., is important to you, run out and buy anything today. Everytime there is a redesign from here on out, whether it's Lexus or MB or BMW or Audi or anyone, they are going to cost reduce. The doors won't have the same thunk when you close them. Panels that were rock solid are going to start having give in them. Plastics are going to look cheaper.

So whatever the current state is, if those issues are important to you, go out and get a current model or one that has been in production for a while. Because when they get the redesign, you will notice it IMO. No matter who it is.
Old 11-13-08, 04:12 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, I gotta disagree. I've driven the new 3.2 Quattro, fully loaded with the Audi Drive Select and the car in itself is far more planted than a comparable Japanese entrant (read, Acura/Lexus). The engine is NOT as fast as the 335i or is350, but then again 6.1 0-60 isn't slow, let's get real. The overall driving experience seemed more smooth than the previous A4. The exterior was built exceptionally well (solid, solid doors, great panel gaps, excellent paint), and I thought the interior was as well. I've clamoured on VW for downgrading interior components for the new Golf/Passat, but this is not the case. Exceptional build quality, soft touch materials everywhere. Much better than the 3-Series and C-Class in my opinion. The IS is not comparable as far as I can feel, with it's hard plastics and mismatched panels (under steering wheel for instance). Even the tactile motion of Lexus's interior buttons is no longer top of class - Audi does it better. The A4 continues the tradition of bar-setting build quality. Not sure how you could argue otherwise. There was nothing "cheap" about the interior, besides the hard leather (WTF?). Exceptionally well built car in my opinion.

As far as feeling floaty, did your car have Audi Drive Select? It tweaks the steering and damping depending on mode. You can complain about pricing, but this is a premium German luxury sedan, with the features and build to back it up. Radar cruise, check. Blind spot monitoring, check. B&O Audio, Bi-Xenon adaptive lighting, etc, etc. It gets pricy, but so does the 3 and C. I thought it was a great car, with a much more useable backseat than the previous two A4 gens, which were so tiny.
Old 11-13-08, 04:24 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't been in the new A4 but every new model I have been in in say the last year, has demonstrated some cheapening somewhere. My point wouldn't be so much to evaluate the Audi compared to the C (where MB has really cheapened up) or bimmer. I would compare it to the previous A4. I would be surprised, shocked, if the new interior has the same feel as the previous gen A4. I don't know about the new A4 but Audi interiors have been the best IMO. And even with the cost reductions in new models, I hope that lasts.

As for the 3.2 model, I believe the A4 is getting the supercharged 3.0. Don't think I would bother with a 3.2. It won't be that long till the 3.0 is here. Then I might be more interested in what it drives like. I know I want to try the A6 with it. Next car for me will very likely be either a BMW or Audi. Just hope Audi gets their reliability up a bit and definitely not back slide.
Old 11-13-08, 04:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I remember sitting in a couple new Audi's A4, Q7, A6, TT at a auto show last year and paid alot of attention to the interiors and I was not that impressed either. The plastics felt kind of cheap and hollow and seemed a step down from Lexus and Acura materials. The ***** and switches did not feel all that high quality either and the leather was pretty hard and disappointing. The overall design was not as nice as some earlier Audi's and it was a bit of a letdown. The worst was when you pressed the cheap feeling buttons they give this loud cheap annoying click which would drive my crazy. Audi interiors usually look great in pictures but when you sit in them and touch the materials and operate the switches, etc they do not feel and operate as nice as they look. Lexus and Acura seem to be a step above the newer Audi's in the interior department aside from the A8 which has a fantastic interior. The A8 interior is one of my favorite interiors.

Quick Reply: I just don't get Audi...