Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 quickest street cars tested locked b/c it turned into a GT-R pissing match

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-08 | 05:03 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by suislide
-I've seen unmodified GT-Rs at the track run 125 traps at most.

-Tuner car? Yes it is. But then so are Vettes when owners modify in their cars and tune them at the dyno.

-Shares NOTHING w/those cars as it has it's own platform which is called Premium Midship Platform. 350z/G35/G37/M35/M45 all share the Front Midship Platform. There's a reason why it's not considered a Skyline GT-R; shares nothing w/the Skyline coupe/sedan.

The more you know
According to this, your Stroke affair love machine is infact produced at the same plant and by the same technicians as the G35 and G37

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124083
Old 11-16-08 | 05:38 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 8speed
According to this, your Stroke affair love machine is infact produced at the same plant and by the same technicians as the G35 and G37

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124083
Of course it would....it's still a Nissan but I was talking about how it shares nothing w/ the other models besides where it produced from
Old 11-16-08 | 05:49 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Nice to see someone else speaking common sense
No, don't say that ... people will call you a GTR hater!
Old 11-16-08 | 06:24 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
No, don't say that ... people will call you a GTR hater!
I thought everyone likes replacing their $20,000 transmission when they turn off their traction control and drive the car aggresively

Supercar???? what a joke!
Old 11-16-08 | 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

10 quickest street cars tested
Street cars? I would change the name of the article.

Only an idiot would drive like that on the street.

(I understand the meaning, though....that the cars are street-legal).

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-08 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-16-08 | 11:00 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I thought everyone likes replacing their $20,000 transmission when they turn off their traction control and drive the car aggresively

Supercar???? what a joke!
Like the other supercars don't need repair in their lifetime huh? What a bigger joke!
Old 11-16-08 | 11:20 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Like the other supercars don't need repair in their lifetime huh? What a bigger joke!
Sure they do, but not in the first year of production...and last time I checked, those other supercars didn't have production halted due to mechanical issues

Just let it go dude and move on with your life, no one in here believes the GT-R to be a supercar.....nor will they ever. And they sure as hell wouldn't select one over the other cars on the list! As stated above, it's an iconic tuner car like the MK IV Supra, and RX-7.......not even in the same ballpark as the Euros!
Old 11-16-08 | 12:01 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Well said, and don't we have to set some kind of "criteria" for a car actually attaining the moniker of a "supercar"? I think for starters, a supercar should be rare. Compared to the limited run of just 300 for the Veyron, GM plans on producing 2,000 units a year of the ZR-1 and Nissan plans on producing over 2,400 GT-R's annualy. Hardly limited or rare by any means. Lexus only sent some 4,000 units of the IS-F to the states by comparison.

With the recent mechanical miscues by Nissan and their un-Godzilla like reliability with the GT-R and with GM on the verge of bankruptcy, the GT-R and ZR1 don't make my cut as "supercars". Last time I checked, the Ferrari boys over in Maranello Italy aren't filing for chapter 11 any time soon. Not to mention, the GT-R is produced on the same assembly line as the G37. The GT-R and ZR1 produce earth shattering performance and are no doubt worthy compared to other supercars, but they just don't make my list of exclusivity!
Your definition of supercars should be changed to "super rare cars" or "super expensive cars that an extremely small group of people could afford". You don't love a car because of its interior/exterior design, its engineering breakthrough, its overall performance cabability but only love its price tag and exclusivity/rarity, to me this is a very shallow conception of what a super car is. Here is a very simple commonsense, making less amont of a car is easy, but making a lot of them yet maintaining quality is difficult. Having a limited run of 300 is not any kind of achievement, nothing to be proud of, it is simply a way for the company to sell a car at a high price, to tell its potential buyers that the cars would make them special.
So what GT-R shares with the other Nissan vehicles' plant? So what a ZR1 is just a modified Z51? What does it have to do with being a supercar or not? Saleen S7's engine was based on a Ford V8, Bugatti's mother company is still just Volkswagen, what's the problem? You think those Bugatti and Ferraris are assembled by aliens or something? They are still made by human beings.
GM in a financial crisis would affect its highest performance car's performance? Would it? So if GM is earning a lot of money, then it instantly makes ZR1 a super car? What kind of nonsense is this? Porshce has been in a deep financial crisis before? And does it make Porsche's cars bad?
How many GT-R's blown transmission's warranty has been denied so far? You can't list an individual incident and then question the car's reliability.
You sound like producing earth shattering performance is not enough for the car to be qualified to be "super", unless it is rare and expensive. Ferrari and Bugatti are deified by people like you just because of their price and rarities are such an indignity to their designers' and engineers' and assemly line workers' efforts.
Old 11-16-08 | 12:22 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Sure they do, but not in the first year of production...and last time I checked, those other supercars didn't have production halted due to mechanical issues

Just let it go dude and move on with your life, no one in here believes the GT-R to be a supercar.....nor will they ever. And they sure as hell wouldn't select one over the other cars on the list! As stated above, it's an iconic tuner car like the MK IV Supra, and RX-7.......not even in the same ballpark as the Euros!
If everyone is like you, sure as hell no one would. Thank god not everyone is like you. Cut your subjective and biased opinions buddy, just you don't believe so you are saying no one would? The funniest thing I have heard today.
Old 11-16-08 | 12:24 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Your definition of supercars should be changed to "super rare cars" or "super expensive cars that an extremely small group of people could afford". You don't love a car because of its interior/exterior design, its engineering breakthrough, its overall performance cabability but only love its price tag and exclusivity/rarity, to me this is a very shallow conception of what a super car is. Here is a very simple commonsense, making less amont of a car is easy, but making a lot of them yet maintaining quality is difficult. Having a limited run of 300 is not any kind of achievement, nothing to be proud of, it is simply a way for the company to sell a car at a high price, to tell its potential buyers that the cars would make them special.
So what GT-R shares with the other Nissan vehicles' plant? So what a ZR1 is just a modified Z51? What does it have to do with being a supercar or not? Saleen S7's engine was based on a Ford V8, Bugatti's mother company is still just Volkswagen, what's the problem? You think those Bugatti and Ferraris are assembled by aliens or something? They are still made by human beings.
GM in a financial crisis would affect its highest performance car's performance? Would it? So if GM is earning a lot of money, then it instantly makes ZR1 a super car? What kind of nonsense is this? Porshce has been in a deep financial crisis before? And does it make Porsche's cars bad?
How many GT-R's blown transmission's warranty has been denied so far? You can't list an individual incident and then question the car's reliability.
You sound like producing earth shattering performance is not enough for the car to be qualified to be "super", unless it is rare and expensive. Ferrari and Bugatti are deified by people like you just because of their price and rarities are such an indignity to their designers' and engineers' and assemly line workers' efforts.
I posted this thread as "street cars "not supercars so why are you getting so worked up about it? You're the one going off topic not me. My definition of a supercar is different than yours....so what? Who cares? You drive an IS350, by your handle used to drive a G35...good for you! You own cars that aren't considered by most as a performance driven cars and can be found at any local high school parking lot. I'm sure you think they are great but to me they mean nothing. I've owned Active tuned M3's, REVO tuned S4's, GIAC tuned 996 911 turbo etc. because I like cars that are not only fast, but hold some exclusivity. Are those cars "supercars"? No, but to me they were super! I hope you enjoy your cars and I appreciate your enthusiasm, but your logic at times is inane and lacks vision and credibility. Of course rarity and production numbers contribute to a cars status and global appeal. That's what makes them great! I have a fake rolex that keeps awesome time, looks exactly like the original but at fraction of the price. Why isn't it just as good? Answer: It's not!

I have an opinion and you have an opinion and you know what....it's all good bro. Because at the end of the day, your handing your IS350 car keys to the valet and no one cares.....I'm handing my IS-F car keys to the valet and I'm hearing "sick car bro, what the hell is it".

Last edited by 8speed; 11-16-08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-16-08 | 12:32 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I posted this thread as street cars not supercars so why are getting so worked up about it? You're the one going off topic not me. My definition of a supercar is different than yours....so what? Who cares? You drive an IS350, by your handle used to drive a G35...good for you! You own cars that aren't considered by most as a performance driven cars. I'm sure you think they are great but to me they mean nothing. I've owned Active tuned M3's, REVO tuned S4's, GIAC tuned 996 911 turbo etc. because I like cars that are not only fast, but hold some exclusivity. I hope you enjoy your cars and I appreciate your enthusiasm. But your logic at times is inane. Of course rarity and production numbers contribute to a cars status and global appeal. I have a fake rolex that keeps awesome time, looks exactly like the original but at fraction of the price. Why isn't it just as good? Answer: It's not!

I have an opinion and you have an opinion and you know what....it's all good bro. Because at the end of the day, your handing your IS350 car keys to the valet and no one cares.....I'm handing my IS-F car keys to the valet and I'm hearing "sick car bro, what the hell is it".
So you are a rich guy huh? IS-F is cheaper than a GT-R right? If your IS-F is a sick car, what makes a GT-R then?
I never give my car key to a valet guy because I am not rich like you. I park myself all the time. And I don't need someone comment on my car. I love what it is. One thing you are wrong, if the valet guy ask you "what the hell is it?" he wouldn't think it is a sick car bro because he doesn't know what the hell it is.
Old 11-16-08 | 12:40 PM
LexFather

Guys can we go back to the topic at hand and not turn this into another GT-R pissing match. Thanks