Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thought you all would want to see this...(involves a soldiers death)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
WHen its a soldier, im not sure... probably charge of negligent homicide...a trip to leavenworth. But it wasnt a soldier, it was a civilian, and it was an accident...these things happen...

Yes, accidents happen, but so do lawyers. Whoever was driving that truck, civilian or not, may have to face a number of both criminal and civil charges.

You just don't go around trying to drive a big truck like a sports car. I used to drive a fairly good-size truck myself for a volunteer furnture-charity service...I know how awkwardly they handle and brake.
Old 11-15-08, 04:55 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I didnt say he wouldnt be, and I agree he should have to face charges. However, the investgation concluded he wasnt driving recklessly, it was just one of those things where he took the turn too wide...he misjudged is all.
Old 11-15-08, 09:43 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Years ago I came on the scene of a customer's big rig rollover. Seems the driver forgot about that 3500 gallons of acid sloshing around in the tank trailer behind him when he negotiated a 90 degree left turn at about 25-30 mph. The whole rig went over in slow motion, simply laying on its right-hand side and sliding about 75 feet along the shoulder of the road. The only injury was sustained when the driver, hanging from his seatbelt flipped the catch and plunged six feet to the other (bottom) side of the cab, thus proving local gravity was still fully operational.

Our company was involved with driver training for this customer, and one of the most difficult tasks we had was to keep reminding these guys that when you are on the front end of a 35,000-pound load, don't expect such niceties as acceleration, braking, and handling to work, even as well as they do in your family car. A gentleman by the name of Newton is totally in charge of your big rig, and he will not be denied his turn at the wheel.
Old 11-16-08, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I didnt say he wouldnt be, and I agree he should have to face charges. However, the investgation concluded he wasnt driving recklessly, it was just one of those things where he took the turn too wide...he misjudged is all.
OK, fine. I'm not trying to play Judge and Jury here. But it begs the question of WHY he took the turn too wide. That's usually the case when someone is driving too fast for conditions, either because of the limitations of the vehicle or the road conditions themselves.

But, with that, I'll let the issue go and let the Army decide. I wasn't actually there to see it.