Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thought you all would want to see this...(involves a soldiers death)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 09:03 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Thought you all would want to see this...(involves a soldiers death)

We had a soldier die on fort drum, in the back seat of this HMMWV. He was a Sergeant First Class. A dump truck (lots of construction on post) came a around a corner to fast and whacked the truck...

Prayers to the family. THis truck came to my motor pool where it was deemed my job to "total out" or in military terms, perform a codeout. It requires compiling a list of all the damage to the vehicle and prices of replacement parts. the frame was TORN in half at the impact site.

Please drive careful y'all.
Old 11-14-08, 09:23 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow. He must have really been going fast! That's allot of damage for that vehicle. Just sad. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-14-08, 10:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh no.... RIP

i read your previous post about these hummer and how strong they are (the door weights 452lb or something?). seeing the damage, that trunk was going ridiculously fast......
Old 11-14-08, 10:23 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother is in the Marine Corp and non-hostile deaths like these happen way too often.
Old 11-14-08, 02:48 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by rominl
oh no.... RIP

i read your previous post about these hummer and how strong they are (the door weights 452lb or something?). seeing the damage, that trunk was going ridiculously fast......
Those were Up Armored Models...an M1151A2. This one is an M998. Soft doors and soft top...the doors have no renforcement, neither does the frame. The M998 is rediculously unsafe as far as collisions go. there are no "crumple zones" or airbags, the seats are wood with cushions and the trucks BARELY have seatbelts (that is to say they are an "aftermarket" modification. they do not come from AM general with seatbelts). they esitmate the speed of the dump truck to be about 20-25mph, but it was loaded with gravel...so....it probably weight in at over 10 tons.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-14-08 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-14-08, 02:54 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for sharing.

So sad. RIP to him, and condolences to his family.
Old 11-14-08, 04:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Those were Up Armored Models...an M1151A2. This one is an M998. Soft doors and soft top...the doors have no renforcement, neither does the frame. The M998 is rediculously unsafe as far as collisions go. there are no "crumple zones" or airbags, the seats are wood with cushions and the trucks BARELY have seatbelts (that is to say they are an "aftermarket" modification. they do not come from AM general with seatbelts). they esitmate the speed of the dump truck to be about 20-25mph, but it was loaded with gravel...so....it probably weight in at over 10 tons.
thanks for the info, this is just really sad i mean, i don't know if i say it right, but he "left" so not worth it......
Old 11-14-08, 04:46 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Im not quite sure what you mean rominl...can you explain? If you mean its not worth it that he died...I agree wholeheartedly. I have been trying for years to get the army to tell AM general to put seatbelts in the humvees at the factory. The Department of the Army's argument has always been that its cheaper to install them after the fact, because they can then choose which trucks get them. I say screw that, they overpay anyway ($94,000 for a truck that breaks down alot, has no protection from any kind of crash, has no radio, no A/C and barely has power steering).

The M998, is an aluminium truck shell, with ZERO amenities or comfort items, on a silverado 2500 frame with Independent suspension and brakes at the diff instead of the wheel. It has 2 "options"...4wd, and an automatic transmission (a stripped GM 4L80-E, with no park gear.)
Old 11-14-08, 05:27 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From one service member to another. RIP and God bless you! A true hero
Old 11-14-08, 05:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Im not quite sure what you mean rominl...can you explain? If you mean its not worth it that he died...I agree wholeheartedly. I have been trying for years to get the army to tell AM general to put seatbelts in the humvees at the factory. The Department of the Army's argument has always been that its cheaper to install them after the fact, because they can then choose which trucks get them. I say screw that, they overpay anyway ($94,000 for a truck that breaks down alot, has no protection from any kind of crash, has no radio, no A/C and barely has power steering).

The M998, is an aluminium truck shell, with ZERO amenities or comfort items, on a silverado 2500 frame with Independent suspension and brakes at the diff instead of the wheel. It has 2 "options"...4wd, and an automatic transmission (a stripped GM 4L80-E, with no park gear.)
yes i meant his death was so not worth it again i am not trying to offend anyone, but if he died in mission protecting our nation, it's so much "better". this is just.... argh...
Old 11-14-08, 08:22 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

rest easy brother
Old 11-15-08, 04:15 AM
SplyTek
Driver School Candidate

RIP fellow soldier, sad to see him go that way.
Old 11-15-08, 06:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Very sad that that soldier had to pay the price for a grossly negligent truck driver. RIP.

While it probably won't happen, they ought to take a moron like that and put him into a locked room with about 6 or 7 Rangers or Special Forces guys.....and see what happens.

On the debated seat-belt issue here, I'm not sure seatbelts would have made much difference. Seatbelts are a primary restraint against your body flying forward into the dash/windshield or being tossed out of the vehicle, but they have little or no value in protecting you if the vehicle's structure caves in around you, as apparantly happened here.

I hope you didn't have to waste a lot of time with paperwork, "estimates", price of parts, etc.... One glance at that Hummer and, at least to me, it's totalled. It might as well have been hit with an insurgent's bomb.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-15-08 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-15-08, 11:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Very sad that that soldier had to pay the price for a grossly negligent truck driver. RIP.
RIP and prayers to the family.

What would be the discliplinary action for something negligent like this???
Old 11-15-08, 12:18 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
RIP and prayers to the family.

What would be the discliplinary action for something negligent like this???
WHen its a soldier, im not sure... probably charge of negligent homicide...a trip to leavenworth. But it wasnt a soldier, it was a civilian, and it was an accident...these things happen...

Originally Posted by mmarshall

While it probably won't happen, they ought to take a moron like that and put him into a locked room with about 6 or 7 Rangers or Special Forces guys.....and see what happens.

On the debated seat-belt issue here, I'm not sure seatbelts would have made much difference. Seatbelts are a primary restraint against your body flying forward into the dash/windshield or being tossed out of the vehicle, but they have little or no value in protecting you if the vehicle's structure caves in around you, as apparantly happened here.

I hope you didn't have to waste a lot of time with paperwork, "estimates", price of parts, etc.... One glance at that Hummer and, at least to me, it's totalled. It might as well have been hit with an insurgent's bomb.
Yes, it was totalled, but we still had to compile a list of what was damaged, so that when it goes to the depot to be rebuilt/overhauled, they know what they need on hand. (the depot can replace frame rails) LOL.

Quick Reply: Thought you all would want to see this...(involves a soldiers death)