Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 sec GTR...on 22's and with bolt-ons!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08 | 01:30 AM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Default 10 sec GTR...on 22's and with bolt-ons!

Yes, he used LC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Tfjz0U3C4
Old 11-17-08 | 02:13 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Man, I wonder what mods the car has. Also, I wonder why he didn't track it with the stock rubber on there. Awesome car, nevertheless.
Old 11-17-08 | 02:59 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

hmmmm 22's? wonder what he woulda got with a set of RE30's in size 18 lol

unsprung weight baby!
Old 11-17-08 | 05:18 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

man i bet you he can probably shave half a second with lighter wheels.

why would you do a 1/4 with 22's anyway?? why not switch the wheels..
Old 11-17-08 | 05:53 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

another guy, who was there, got 11.75 @ 120 in a stock gt-r without using launch control

i believe the 10 sec GT-R had actuators, hard pipes, catback, reflash
Old 11-17-08 | 08:08 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Wow that's pretty impressive with 22's.
Old 11-17-08 | 09:25 AM
kit cat

22feet wheels? OMG! lol jk :P.
Old 11-17-08 | 01:23 PM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

LOL! read the comments on youtube; "update he blew the trans after that pass."
Old 11-17-08 | 01:43 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Here we go again, yet another thread about the enigmatic GT-R

Of course he blew his tranny.....GT-R production has been halted in Japan and rumors are ramped that owners are having major problems with their trannys trying to obtain the coveted 0-60 mark of 3.5 seconds!

Flame on GT-R strokers
Old 11-17-08 | 03:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by 8speed
Here we go again, yet another thread about the enigmatic GT-R

Of course he blew his tranny.....GT-R production has been halted in Japan and rumors are ramped that owners are having major problems with their trannys trying to obtain the coveted 0-60 mark of 3.5 seconds!

Flame on GT-R strokers
why do you always seem to want to start a fight whenever the "GT-R" name is mentioned?

10's with maybe $100k in the car (incl. MSRP, no premiums) is pretty good methinks
Old 11-17-08 | 05:40 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
why do you always seem to want to start a fight whenever the "GT-R" name is mentioned?

10's with maybe $100k in the car (incl. MSRP, no premiums) is pretty good methinks

Because in my "opinion", I don't think the GT-R is worth 20k over MSRP just because it's the venerable "Godzilla" from Japan. I don't like the lines of the car as well, the sum of all its parts just don't add up. It's bulky, and big and it's heavy (over 3800 lbs compared to 3100 for a 911 GT2) and hardly agile for a "supercar" and the gadgets and bells and whistles are overkill in my "Opinion". The hype and anticipaton surrounding the release of the car is more than the new GT-R could ever live up to....and it doesn't in my "opinion". The car is fast, and unbelievable around the track but in lew of the halted production in Japan and transmissions already blowing to pieces.......my concern for godzilla sustaining its new found love affair with hyperbole is valid in my "Opinion"

1. Unreal performance for the money
2. Stuck between a supercar and daily driver (what is it exactly...no back seats, horrible gas mileage)
3 If the performance numbers are as claimed, the GT-R is the only 3,800+ lbs. car with 480 hp to clock an 11.5 qtr mile.
4. There are several reports circulating that the famous nurburgring lap time was a total sandbag at the hands of nissan, and not a stock GT-R car. Ferrari, Porsche, GM aren't pulling this crap!
5. Halted production in Japan is reason for concern

Last edited by 8speed; 11-17-08 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-17-08 | 08:18 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Because in my "opinion", I don't think the GT-R is worth 20k over MSRP just because it's the venerable "Godzilla" from Japan. I don't like the lines of the car as well, the sum of all its parts just don't add up. It's bulky, and big and it's heavy (over 3800 lbs compared to 3100 for a 911 GT2) and hardly agile for a "supercar" and the gadgets and bells and whistles are overkill in my "Opinion". The hype and anticipaton surrounding the release of the car is more than the new GT-R could ever live up to....and it doesn't in my "opinion". The car is fast, and unbelievable around the track but in lew of the halted production in Japan and transmissions already blowing to pieces.......my concern for godzilla sustaining its new found love affair with hyperbole is valid in my "Opinion"

1. Unreal performance for the money
2. Stuck between a supercar and daily driver (what is it exactly...no back seats, horrible gas mileage)
3 If the performance numbers are as claimed, the GT-R is the only 3,800+ lbs. car with 480 hp to clock an 11.5 qtr mile.
4. There are several reports circulating that the famous nurburgring lap time was a total sandbag at the hands of nissan, and not a stock GT-R car. Ferrari, Porsche, GM aren't pulling this crap!
5. Halted production in Japan is reason for concern
I dunno... many would say to be able to keep up with a car that costs nearly 3x as much, with that huge weight disadvantage is quite an accomplishment.

so you hate the car because it was hyped up? that's pretty baseless. maybe hate the fanboys, but hate the car??
$20k markup is the dealer, not the car's fault. seems like you're just picking on things to hate on.

and have you even driven the GT-R to know that it's not agile? many reviews claim otherwise.
Old 11-17-08 | 08:29 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shyguy16
I dunno... many would say to be able to keep up with a car that costs nearly 3x as much, with that huge weight disadvantage is quite an accomplishment.

so you hate the car because it was hyped up? that's pretty baseless. maybe hate the fanboys, but hate the car??
$20k markup is the dealer, not the car's fault. seems like you're just picking on things to hate on.

and have you even driven the GT-R to know that it's not agile? many reviews claim otherwise.

Dealer is Nissan.....car is Nissan, they are one in the same. Hard to blame an inanimate object you're right about that, but I can blame the automaker nonetheless. Look, if you're going to hype this car as a "supercar" and advertise it as the greatest production car ever built from the land of the rising sun, then you should be willing to handle scrutiny and criticism.

Yes I have sat shotgun in a new GT-R, a friend of mine from sactown california who also owns a 997 turbo and Dinan tuned M6 bought one before I moved out to Virginia and the car flat out scared me. Look I don't hate the car (see previous posts) but I'm not the one who keeps showing youtube.com races in which a 10 second pass is fallowed by a blown transmission (LOL) and preaching that it's the greatest car ever built and I most definitely wouldn't take one over a 911 GT2, Enzo, Carrera GT, or Ford Saleen S7 to name but a few! I might even consider the new Cadillac CTS-V! And I certainly wouldn't pay 20% markup for one either.....especially now that production has been halted in Japan for mechanical issues!

Last edited by 8speed; 11-17-08 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-17-08 | 09:03 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Dealer is Nissan.....car is Nissan, they are one in the same. Hard to blame an inanimate object you're right about that, but I can blame the automaker nonetheless. Look, if you're going to hype this car as a "supercar" and advertise it as the greatest production car ever built from the land of the rising sun, then you should be willing to handle scrutiny and criticism.

Yes I have sat shotgun in a new GT-R, a friend of mine from sactown california who also owns a 997 turbo and Dinan tuned M6 bought one before I moved out to Virginia and the car flat out scared me. Look I don't hate the car (see previous posts) but I'm not the one who keeps showing youtube.com races in which a 10 second pass is fallowed by a blown transmission (LOL) and preaching that it's the greatest car ever built and I most definitely wouldn't take one over a 911 GT2, Enzo, Carrera GT, or Ford Saleen S7 to name but a few! I might even consider the new Cadillac CTS-V! And I certainly wouldn't pay 20% markup for one either.....especially now that production has been halted in Japan for mechanical issues!
UGH you are so thick man.

How do you know GTR transmissions have issues? Do you know anyone personally? Or do you just read junk online and feed yourself on it?

I have about 1000 Track miles on my GTR. Car only gets better by each session as it breaks in. How I can down shift the Borgwarner gears while at the apex is sublime, unmatched by anything I have driven before. have a dragged it? no. such car are not built for it. There is a lot more to this car then 0- 60 times.

anyway talking about if the car can handle the stress from the LC?
well here is a proof that you my friend have jumped on some retarded bandwagon

READ IT

Quote from Edmunds
Since that time, we've track tested our GT-R twice, used launch control numerous times and ran it hard on the Streets of Willow road course during our GT-R versus ZR1 comparison test. The VDC was off and nothing broke. And this was on a car with over 11,000 miles on it, 5,000 of those miles since the new transaxle was installed. Drove it home last night and the car felt fine.

Quote from owner of a GTR thats making 633 WHP and 728 TQ .. AT THE WHEELS

As we all know by now, our cars have taken a beating over all the controversy of the weak transmissions and launch control and warranty issues, etc. etc.

Because of all this, many GT-R owners (or prospective owners) are feeling that the transmission is incredibly brittle and will just break at any second -- even when just turning a corner with a lot of gas. So many people are scared that at any moment their GT-R transmission is just going to give out.

I would like to share some info from the 'other' side of this issue...

MY CAR.

I now have well over 50 launches on my car. And, no, I'm not worried about Nissan reading this and voiding my warranty -- I voided that with some mods a LONNNNG time ago. ;-)

As mentioned in my "sorry guys, no 10-second GT-R today" thread, I even said 'screw it' and launched the car at the drag strip to try and get us into the 10s (because we had hit a wall at low 11s.) I was willing to risk breaking the transmission. In fact, at one point I *EXPECTED IT TO*. I was willing to have it break and then spend the money to upgrade the transmission anyway.

BUT IT DIDN'T BREAK.

Now, this doesn't mean there may not be 'residual' damage to my gearbox. Those teeth certainly 'could' be getting damaged more and more with every launch. And it may be just a ticking timebomb that's about to break at any moment.

But I really have to wonder if maybe, just maybe, that's not the case. I really think it's very possibly that only 'some' of the GT-R transmissions are weaker than others. Could have been a materials, quality control, or any other manufacturing issue that 'might' (I'm saying might) have produced a run of gearboxes that weren't as strong as others.

My car now has an estimated 600+HP or so now. I launched the living crap out of that car today. Again. And again. And then some more. I was so anxious to break into the 10s that I was ABUSING THE HELL OUT OF THE CAR. Chuck (or anyone else that was there) can tell you. I BEAT ON that GT-R today. We even had a few "AWD Clutch temp is too high" warnings and had to let the car cool off as a result of launching it hard.

I even did several 'Double Launches' -- I would do a launch to try and heat up the tires, then stage make a drag run using launch control again to take off.

My car is currently FANTASTIC. No problems. It runs awesome. In fact, it feels like it just gets better and better.

I'm certainly not encouraging people to go abuse their cars and start launching them -- that's not my point by creating this thread.

I wanted to 'show the other side' of this tranny controversy but sharing MY EXPERIENCE about MY GT-R. I'm abusing it, beating on it, and pushing it to its limits (maybe) and so far so good. A ROCK SOLID CAR. A great experience. KILLER PERFORMANCE.

Do I have a 'freak' GT-R transmission that just lucked out and was made stronger than many others? (Like some engines run stronger) Or is it that maybe a handful of transmissions that have broken are in the minority and maybe have been part of a bad batch of gearboxes? Or is that maybe all the gearboxes are the same, but when you launch the car it will hold up as long as the transmission fluid is at a certain temperature (one theory I mentioned to Chuck).

I obviously don't know the answer to these questions. But I do know this... I'm getting tired of so many people assuming that ALL GT-R transmissions are weak; because there is no definitive PROOF of this just yet. My car is certainly living proof that (at least for now) not all GT-R gearboxes are weak and will break if put under a bit of stress.

As I said, my tranny may break tomorrow. But so far it's holding up like a Champ. (And then some.)
Old 11-17-08 | 09:09 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

I like that one guys comment.

"** UPDATE **
The transmission broke after the pass."

Quick Reply: 10 sec GTR...on 22's and with bolt-ons!