Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trading My Lexus GS for a Third Row?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08 | 12:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I appreciate all the info on the minivans and for a second there, you had me, but my wife, she is DEAD set against them. She also does not want to keep the GS and get a minivan, she is very minimalist and although I like that idea, she doesn't believe in the wasted money, particularly with double college looming. (Yes, this is how far in advance she thinks. Hopefully they both get scolarships and I can finally buy an exotic, even if it is a 2008 in 2028.)

This news of the Highlander third row not folding is terrible, but it seems like the Highlander hybrid is where my wife is leaning after last nights conversation. We are heading to the Toyota dealer and back to our Lexus dealer to check out the GX, LX, Sienna, and Highlander this weekend. But I honestly am more confused now that I ever was. Not with you guys, but with my wife. She wants here cake and to eat it too. Maybe I really don't understand because it won't be me driving most of the time.
My wife hates minivans too. I don't get it, but I'm not arguing.

The Mazda CX9 is not quite the quality level of the Toyotas, but it's bigger than the Highlander, and about the same price. No Hybrid available.
Old 11-19-08 | 12:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm going to nitpick here...LX????That thing is at least $80k and just to haul the kids around when minivans are $25k
Especially when the Toyota Land Cruiser is essentially the same (not to mention the Sequoia is very similar).
Old 11-19-08 | 01:02 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
If your wife is concerned with wasting money then why is she even considering an extremely high priced wasteful gas guzzling truckbased SUV like a Escalade, LX, or GX or overpriced generally very unreliable Euro SUVs that have little utility over their sedan counterparts. An LX570 goes for like over 70K and gets almost single digit fuel economy, it is a complete waste of money and utterly pointless for errands and carting your kids around especially if you need to save for your childrens future. You could save so much money on the purchase and overall ownership with a much less expensive and much more fuel efficient minivan or car based SUV. With 2 kids on the way, a poor unstable economy, and prices for everything skyrocketing(wait to you see how much health insurance is) your wife may need to rethink the whole I want my cake and eat it too with an giant expensive gas guzzling luxury truck based SUV just to run errands and cart around the kids...
I agree that is seems weird to compare saving money and saving for college and getting an $80K SUV an oximoron, but you don't know my wife. When we bought the GS, we bought it because that is all she saw that she liked. We almost bought a Range Rover, but we all know about their reliability. Also, between her job and my job, we can afford a GS and at least another car, which is why I was looking into a CLS AMG within the year. (Before the news of the twins.)

We like cars, luxury cars and partly because of the name and partly because of the performance. She explained that it is like an expensive purse to her. Bookbags carry more things, and are far more practical and comfortable, but don't have the style of a nice purse. Same thing with the car.

Yes, we will take a hit with the GS, but it is better than paying for two cars, even a $25K minivan. Plus, with the way SUV's are taking a beating, we would never have imagined the deals we can get now on them, so compared to what was expected of the economy, it is a wash.

Is it necessary to carry more, yes, because one of our mothers or an au pair will be coming to stay with us so my wife can get back to her practice.

Then you ask why spend $80K. Honestly, if we don't spend right the first time, we will end up with a car and spend again to compensate for what we are missing with the first car, minivan, etc. You have to enjoy what you drive, inside and out and although the LX and GL have low mpg (The Escalade hybrid is comporable to a lot of V6 cars and is the only version we are looking at), it is not about the price of gas. It's been said before, if you can't afford the gas, then you can't afford the car.

In a nutshell, the extra $50K to buy a car that we njoy driving over the a minivan is well worth it. In fact, it is more like $30K, as the Sienna is almost $45K once loaded.

This is all not to say that we are not considering the MDX or the Veracruz, but it is form and function, with price as a distant third. While gas is a function to some. With one car and a commute for my wife that is less than most, it is not really one for us.
Old 11-19-08 | 03:47 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Especially when the Toyota Land Cruiser is essentially the same (not to mention the Sequoia is very similar).
Hmmm.... I have owned both and I can tell you the LX (cygnus) is in a different league. You must have owned both to know that too? Or are you just commenting on them from looking at them on the outside?
Old 11-19-08 | 04:16 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Can't remember if the Mazda CX-9 was Motor Trend's truck of the year BUT.... rolling past the dealership today, they have them $8,000.00 OFF!!!!!!!!

Holy
Old 11-19-08 | 04:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

you need something with nice trunk - back space wont matter until your kids are 15, but trunk space will definetly matter if you want to fit your twin baby strollers.

so what you need is something with hatchback, and it can be anything from Rav4 onwards in size....

If you are looking for more than 4 seats, then minivan is only true option. You wont put your baby car seats to the back of the 7 seat vehicle, too hard to get in/out.
Old 11-19-08 | 04:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

unfortunatly, if you are considering taking 2 strollers + 3 grown ups + 2 baby seats, only minivan with such features will do:

Even in LX, with 2 baby seats installed you cant fit anyone but another kid between them... and if you need to take two strollers to the mall, you wont be able to put them anywhere as they take a lot of space that simply is not there in 7 seat SUV.
Old 11-19-08 | 04:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i think you need to understand (IMHO) that 7 seats wont be usable and get something smaller like new Venza or RX or Highlander similar sized vehicle of another brand that has big hatch and still decent size (not huge so you will get decent resale value)...
Old 11-19-08 | 04:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

(p.s. i have two kids and GS :P)
Old 11-19-08 | 07:35 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I have got to go back and check these SUVs out again with an older person, because from what you guys are all saying is that nobody can get into these back seats except children. I felt like I was able to get back there just fine with the running boards in place and no I could not sit down for too long of a trip ( I am 6"4") but my wife could.

I am not sure if any other SUV has a second row that allows you to adjust the seatback height like the Mercedes GL does, but that was a useful feature. Allowed more knee room and space for the third row.

For the record SPWOLF, I hate you because you have your cake, granola bar, snickers and you get to eat them all as you please. I can honestly say I would not mind a minivan if I had another car I had as an outlet driver.

We are going to also check out the CX-9, because with the $8K off like dawg said, I might be able to swing two cars. Tell you what though, after showing my wife the new RX photos, she is interested. Me, not so much, but it is on her anyway. Problem with an RX though, is how do we get the Nanny or mom to where we need to go.
Old 11-20-08 | 04:18 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I feel for ya my friend, it's a tough call. With the 3rd row on the Sienna, we get out both ways, back and through Captain's seats (adults= easy, I'm 5'10", got buddies over 6'3" no problem). Spoke to my neighbor who has had a CX-9 for over a year (with young kids), they love it ,does it all except no sliding doors when their daughter was young.

I also just saw the new RX, doing a little more research there. I can tell you after exhaustive research that I am shying away from the X5 as all I read are reliability issues and I just cannot afford the time to take it 50 miles EACH way to dealership for repairs.

So looks like I'm sliding back into the same boat.... what to do???
Old 11-20-08 | 06:11 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
So looks like I'm sliding back into the same boat.... what to do???
You can say that again!
Old 11-20-08 | 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Can't remember if the Mazda CX-9 was Motor Trend's truck of the year BUT.... rolling past the dealership today, they have them $8,000.00 OFF!!!!!!!!

Holy
Nice vehicle (I reviewed a Grand Touring model a few years ago). Perhaps the plushest Mazda interior I've seen yet, but potential reliability problems with both it and the smaller CX-7 (also reviewed). I'd steer clear of it.
Old 11-20-08 | 06:42 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice vehicle (I reviewed a Grand Touring model a few years ago). Perhaps the plushest Mazda interior I've seen yet, but potential reliability problems with both it and the smaller CX-7 (also reviewed). I'd steer clear of it.
Thanks Mike.. and FINALLY, we have a winner... new RX450h... EVERYTHING I wanted, will keep the Sienna, I was floored looking through the RX450 thread... you know it when you see it!!!

Thanks a bunch on all your feedback!!! I did some research late last night on the CX-9 and the reliability issues are there just like you said!!

Mbenz, no 3rd row on the new RX450h or 350... but WOW!!!!
Old 11-20-08 | 08:28 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
MMarshall, thanks for the info on the CX, I will scratch that off of the list. I didn't realize it was an issue and that is the last thing we want.

Thanks Mike.. and FINALLY, we have a winner... new RX450h... EVERYTHING I wanted, will keep the Sienna, I was floored looking through the RX450 thread... you know it when you see it!!!

Thanks a bunch on all your feedback!!! I did some research late last night on the CX-9 and the reliability issues are there just like you said!!

Mbenz, no 3rd row on the new RX450h or 350... but WOW!!!!
I agree RDGDAWG. I am happy you have found the one. I know that is such a great thing. The look of the new RX450h is really growing on me and more so on my wife. I was really hopeing they would have done a third row, but it has honestly made this decision close to impossible. With its added cargo space, rear view entertainment and upgraded features above our GS, I know she would be very happy. Plus, my dealer said he could have one for us by the time the twins were ready to be taken home from the hospital.

But do I then get a Sienna, used for when Grandma is in town?

Well, maybe if I promise her the new RX, we will get two rides. But then again, why not just keep the GS and do that?

Oh $#!T!! This decision sucks!

Quick Reply: Trading My Lexus GS for a Third Row?