Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 VW Jetta TDI Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2009 VW Jetta TDI Diesel

By CL member request, a review of the 2009 VW Jetta TDI Diesel.

http://www.vw.com/jetta/tdi/en/us/

In a Nutshell: Forget the junk VW diesels of 30 years ago....this is a whole new ball game.

I've gotten a few CL requests for a review of the new 2009 VW Jetta diesel, so I decided to go formally check one out today. They have become quite popular lately, even with the rather expensive, low-sulfur fuel now mandated here by the EPA (essentially the same diesel fuel sold in Europe for years). Dealers cannot readily keep them in stock...they sell just about as quickly as they come off the truck, although at some dealerships one is kept as a white demo model, with bright yellow/green Eco-graphics on it (see the pictures above). The local VW shop I was at today had two of them that had just come off the truck, had legal Virginia inspection stickers, and were unsold, so I hopped in my Outback and got up there to review one before it disappeared (in this big-money, high-income, D.C. area, cars still sell, despite the national recession).

In the American market, the Jetta line-up, the company's perennial best-seller here in the U.S., includes the S, SE, SEL, and TDI model lines........GTI/R32 high-performance versions are now restricted to the two-door Golf/Rabbit series. S, SE, and SEL models get a 2.5-liter, regular-gasoline-powered, in-line 5-cylinder with 170 HP and 177 ft-lbs. of torque (VW specs, on the website, are contradictory and unclear what the premium-fuel specs of this engine are, or if it is available on these versions). S and SE models get a choice of a 5-speed manual or 6-speed conventional, torque-converter, Tiptronic automatic. The web site is also contadictory for the SEL model...it lists the 6-speed conventional Tiptronic as optional, but has no transmission at all as standard (?). And we wonder why VW customers in America have such a low opinion of the company and how it operates.

Well, so much for the spec-problems of the gasoline-engine versions........that, of course, is not the object of the review. The top-line TDI model, clearly the star of the U.S.-market Jetta lineup, comes with a state-of-the-art, Blue-Tec, turbocharged, 2.0L diesel in-line four with direct, common-rail fuel/urea injection....the same technology used by current, far more expensive, Mercedes diesels. Hooked to the diesel is the choice of a six-speed manual or (Yeah!) the superb, multi-clutch, 6-speed DSG gearbox that I have praised so much on other VW/Audi products (why VW won't offer the DSG on the 2.5L in-line 5 beats me, unless the hardware just doesn't fit). Audi, unfortunately, seems to be slowly phasing out the DSG as well.....they now offer it only on the A3. A shame, too.....IMO, it's one of the best transmissions ever developed, but complex and probably expensive to produce and repair.

Small VW diesels, of course, are considered an alternative to compact, high-mileage, gas-electric hybrids such as the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrids (so far, no diesel-electric hybrids have been introduced into the American market). I myself have often recommended them as an alternative, as they offer close to the same mileage as hybrids (often way better than the EPA estimates), but with less complexity under the hood (you only have one engine, instead of both gas and electric ones), less complex electronics/computer systems, no disposal/environmental problems associated with what to do with damaged/worn-out hybrid battery packs (they are bulky and heavy), and less chance of the fuel tank going up in flames. That, because diesel fuel is less-volatile than gasoline to start with, and with many hybrids, the battery pack is right next to (or right above) the fuel tank. I both get ruptured in a major collision, sparks from the batteries could come in contact with spilled gasoline. Fire-rescue/emergency personnel have also sometimes been electrically-shocked while trying to get trapped people out of wrecked hybrids.

Diesels, though, don't necessarily save a lot of money over gas-electric hybrids at purchase time. Like hybrids, they cost more than standard gas engines to produce because the block is cast out of very strong, thick, metal to withstand the extreme forces of compression involved (the Jetta's diesel, for instance, has a 16.2: 1 compression ratio, far higher then conventional gas engines, which usually run from 9: 1 to about 11: 1. Diesels also utilize expensive fuel pumps/injectors which supply the engine with fuel under extremely high pressures, especially in the new common-rail direct-injection diesels. Fuel filters and water separators have to be far more effective than those in regular gas engines because of the impurities and moisture often found in diesel fuel, although that job, of course, is made much easier by the high-quality diesel fuels now available (and mandated) in the U.S. And bearings, pistons, connecting rods, crankshafts, etc.... all have to be strong as well to take the pressures. All of this, of course, costs money. And the ultra-low-sulfur fuel now mandated by the EPA also costs more to refine and produce.........one reason, why, in my area, diesel now runs, on the average, about 80-90 cents a gallon more than regular 87-octane gas and 40-50 cents more than premium 93-octane. So, the fuel to run them is costly as well.....but this, of course, is balanced to some extent by the diesel's excellent fuel mileage. New-technology diesels also come with urea-injection tanks which feed a urea solution into the exhaust to help further reduce emissions...one reason why the new Blue-Tec diesels are available in states like CA and NY that once outlawed regular car diesels. The urea tanks have to be refilled at regular intervals....generally every 10,000 miles. Costs for this, of course, will vary between dealerships and those independent-repair facilities that have the proper solution. The VW shop I was at, for example, povides free service, though, for 3 years/36,000 miles.

Still, the VW diesel I tested today listed at roughly $25,000.........you can easily pay that much (and more) for a Prius or Civic Hybrid even without the common dealer markups and price gouging. And, like gas-electric hybrid, ethanol, propane, natural gas, hydrogen fuel-cell, etc..... vehicles, the Jetta Diesel qualitifes for a Federal tax credit, currently $1300. Here are the details:

http://www.vw.com/vwbuzz/browse/en/u...Tax_Credit/225

And, of course, depending on where you live, and what local and state laws are there, you may qualify for even more tax benefits as well. And don't think that just because gasoline is cheap right now as I write this (87 octane is around $2.10 on the average), it won't go back up again (of course, that can apply to diesel fuel as well). Just a few months ago,in July, we had $4.30 a gallon fuel...it could easily come back up again. Hopefully, though, if more people buy new diesels, and the now-limited market for low-sulfur diesel fuel expands some in America, the oil companies will be able to lower the relative cost of it (in relation to gasoline), simply because of economies of scale.

I chose a white, DSG-equipped Jetta TDI for the review (only 2 TDIs, of course, were available). And, last, before I start the actual review itself, I know that a lot of you, particularly the older ladies/gents on CL, have some very bad memories of some of the completely junk-diesels sold decades ago, back in the late 70s-early 80s. Please.....FORGET those old memories. This is a whole new ball game today. I know those early-generation passenger-car diesels were awful. Even worse than awful, in some cases, as with the class-action suits on the GM V8 350 ci diesels converted from gas-engine blocks. Diesel owners had to put up with difficult or impossible starts in below-freezing temperatures, even with 2 batteries underhood; loud, pock-pock-pock-pock idles that sounded like a rattling can of marbles; black, sooty exhaust that made the car smell like a big diesel semi; engines stalling from lousy diesel fuel or water separators that didn't work right; Sluggish pick-up that made them hazardous in fast-moving traffic, Waiting periods for the glow plugs to warm up before the engine would start; and a self-destruction-rate that would be the envy of Middle-Eastern suicide bombers. Only Mercedes and Peugeot, at that time, among passenger-car diesels, could produce a well-made one (Peugeot diesels won many endurance runs), but Peugeot pulled out of the American market not long after that, and the Mercedes diesels, of course, cost an arm and a leg.

Happily, those days are G-O-N-E. They are but a distant memory. Like I said above, today is a whole new ball game. If you had a chance to sample the diesel junk of 30 years ago (as I did) and how they started and ran.....the difference between them and today's diesels is astronomical. Gone are the glow-plug warmup periods....today's diesels start virtually as quick as a gas engine (I couldn't notice any difference between the TDI and a gas-engine Jetta). Gone is the black, sooty exhaust, partially due to the new urea-unjection and better fuels. Gone are the water-separating problems....much of the water in today's diesel fuel has gone out with the sulfur. Gone is the marble-can idle and acceleration....the TDI was (at least inside the car) as quiet and smooth as a gas engine. Gone are the days of being stranded at low temperatures...today's diesels fire up quickly, in virtually any reasonable conditions. And gone are the days of getting passed in the slow lane by grandpa and grandma...today's diesel engines have TORQUE.....lots of it. I'll go into that more, of course, below, in the ON THE ROAD section.

While there were a couple of flies in the ointment (as are inevitable with any review), I was very pleased, overall, with this car, not only with the engine and its huge technological advancements, but the always-superb DSG transmission as well. Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2009 VW Jetta TDI Diesel

Base Price: $21,990

Major Options:

6-speed DSG/Tiptronic transmission: $1100 (a real bargain at $1100)

Sunroof: $1000

Rubber mats: $199

I-Pod: $199

Destination/Freight: $650

List price as reviewed: $25,138

Drivetrain: FWD, Transverse-mounted, turbocharged, direct-injection, Blue-Tec 2.0L diesel, 140 HP @ 4000 RPM, Torque 236 ft-lbs @ 1750-2500 RPM,
6-speed DSG (Direct-Shift Gearbox) with Sport-shift.

EPA Mileage Rating: 29 City, 40 Highway

(You will likely do better than this on the highway...50 MPG is common with VW diesels. An ex-co-worker of mine had two Jetta diesels, and
regularly, at moderate speeds, got 50 MPG or more on the road).

Exterior Color: Candy White

Interior: Beige leather

PLUSSES:

Hybrid mileage without hybrid complexity.

Reasonable price for a state-of-the art-diesel.

Tax credits available.

Diesel start/running problems a thing of the past.

Superb DSG transmission.

Nice-feeling, rapid-action brakes.

Fairly good ride comfort.

Reasonably good handling, with little body roll (but slow steering response).

Slick, smooth paint job.

Metallic paint colors don't cost extra like on other German cars.

Good exterior sheet metal.

Solid-feeling doors/hood/trunk lid.

Well-done, well-fitted exterior trim.

Comfortable, well-done steering wheel.

Superbly easy-to-operate stereo buttons/*****.

Good stereo sound by lower-priced, German-car standards.

Ultra-clear, simple gauges.

Well-finished trunk.

Durable headlight covers.

Underhood strut for convienience.

A real (?) spare tire.

relatively good legroom, front and rear.

Versatile rear seat with several cargo-enhancing features.

Well-done interior trim with good fit/finish.

Fairly roomy trunk.

Relatively simple dash controls.

Well-done trunk-lid hinges.

MINUSES:

AWD 4-Motion not available in Jetta series.

Expensive, ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel required.

Diesel fuel not as widely available as gasoline.

Diesel-urea-injection tanks require periodic refilling at service intervals.

Slow steering response/understeer.

Brake pedal poorly designed for big feet.

Fair-to-poor underhood layout.

So-so paint colors.

Cheap-looking seat leather.

Seat controls are a power/manual adjustment mix.

Trunk lid size a little small.

Unpleasant, cheap-feeling, hard-plastic sun visors.

Cheap-plastic, flimsy steering-column stalks, typical of German cars.

Cheap-looking, vinyl-like seat leather.

Ambiguous steering wheel buttons.

Flimsy-feeling climate-control rotary *****.

Questionable, trouble-prone VW electronics and wiring.

High demand/low supply means discounts may be hard to get.

EXTERIOR:

The TDI's exterior, of course, as you walk up to it, is the same as any other current Jetta model. I like the moderately-conservative looks of the body in general. In some ways, though far from identical, there are resemblances to the current and last-generation Toyota Corolla,(which, IMO, are also not bad-looking small cars). The tasteful grille is not oversized or garish, like on newer Audis and Acuras. The handsomely-shaped headlights, which don't sweep way back up the hood like they do in some aero-shaped cars, have clear, thick, special, aircraft-grade plastic covers (or so the VW people say) that offer durability and the ability to resist cracking, crazing, and shattering from impact with objects. The paint job, like most recent VW's, is well-done, and, on the solid white color of my test car, was slick-smooth and showed no orange peel at all. There was not much gloss to it, but that is generally typical of white paint, and the darker colors would solve that problem. As with many cars nowadays, I wasn't terribly impressed with most of the paint colors offered, including the solid (Candy) white of my test car....only the Laser Blue and Salsa Red tend to keep you from falling asleep. VW, IMO, should seriously consider offering the Beetle's colors on the Jetta.....the Beetle has several NICE colors. To its credit, however, VW does not appear to be charge extra for metallic paint this year like in the past........unusual for a European, and especially German, auto manufacturer.

The sheet metal feels well-done and of high quality, and the doors, trunk lid, and hood all close solidly and securely with a "thunk". Likewise, all the exterior trim/hardware feels solid. securly attached, and with good fit-finish....typical VW. I liked the looks of the back end just as much as I did up front....all in all, one of the best-looking small-to-medium size cars on the market.

UNDERHOOD:

Lift the solid, well-fitted hood, with a large underhood insulation pad, and a single convienent gas strut, on the left, holds it up for you.....generally expected in a $28,000 car. The underhood layout is not the worst I've seen, but is far from ideal. The transversely-mounted, 2.0L turbo-diesel fits in quite tightly, although there is a little room to reach things up front, down the front (left) side of the engine block. A big plastic cover, which advertises the VW and "TDI" logos, pretty much covers up the whole top of the engine. Dipsticks, filler caps, and reservoirs are accessable, but little else, outside of the big plastic fuse box on the right, is easily reached. The battery, near the fuse box, is covered by a rather strange, thin material that envelopes all around it in folds and tucks.....almost like it was being gift-wrapped for Christmas. The reservoir for the coolant overflow tank, with strange, pink-colored coolant, is way back on the left, behind the windshield-washer filler cap....a rather unusual place for it.

Of course, one must remember that this is a diesel, not a conventional gas engine being fitted in, with its diesel-strong, beefy engine block, and all of the complex, high-pressure rail fuel injector system components (mostly hidden under the engine cover). And, to its credit, modern diesel technology, with the lack of older things no longer needed (like water separators and dual batteries) and more space-efficient components, has allowed a superb diesel engine like this to go underhood in a fairly small space like this to start with. So, while the underhood layout is not ideal by any means, at least it is workable.....and functions.

INTERIOR:

Open the rather solidly-built doors, climb in, and you are greeted with not a terribly plush, but very functional and generally well-done interior. There are a few irritating things....I'll list them first. The seat leather looks and feels more like grained vinyl than leather, but at least it's perforated for coolness on the part you sit on (the seats have heaters built-in, too). The turn-signal and cruise-control stalks, in typical German-car fashion, feel and operate like flimsy, dime-store plastic. The sun visors are much more substantial, thick, hard plastic, and have vanity mirrors, but look and feel unpleasant...fortunately, they're something that is not used that much, if you are not driving directly towards the sun. The round, climate-control ***** and buttons have a lightweight, flimsy feel. The headroom in the rear seat is a little tight for tall persons. The steering-wheel buttons could use better labeling. And, though I won't really list it as a big complaint, VW cheaped-out a little on the power-seat controls by using a manual pump-lever for the cushion height and a pull-lever for fore-aft movement.....power control is only for the seatback and rake adjustment. But the manual controls work pretty well, so I don't list it as that big a deal.

The rest of the interior, however, has little to complain about.....and has some truly superb features. The stereo sounds pretty good for an entry-level German vehicle (this tends to be a lax area)....good enough for Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and Motley Crue (once a Metal fan, always one). The stereo controls are, perhaps, the best I've seen in a modern car. Simple, round, easy-to-use volume and tuning ***** that flank four smaller, round ***** that control bass, treble, fader, and balance. Each one is clearly marked. Just turn them left and right......as simple as that. No fiddling with complex and frustrationg I-Drive controllers, video screens, bar graphs, or split-level readouts. No going in and out of function modes first. No guessing what comes next....or how to figure it out. So simple, a monkey could use it. I haven't seen as nice, foolproof, and simple-to-use stereo controls since my late mother's 1988 Mercury Tracer...a Mazda 323 derivitive built in Mexico. Those stereo ***** were essentially the same setup. Ralph Nader.....here's your benchmark standard for how to do stereo controls.

The steering wheel, despite rather poorly marked buttons, is well-shaped, with a sporty 3-spoke pattern, IS comfortable to hold, and has ultra-smooth leather and stitching on it that doesn't irritate your fingertips (That, IMO, is the leather VW should have used on the Jetta's seats and didn't). The gauges, in typical VW fashion, are round, clear, easy-to-read, and simple as can be. They have the usual (for-VW) violet-blue and red lighting at night. The seats have the usual German-car firmness and aren't particularly cushy to sit on, but yet are not uncomfortable. The seat bolsters didn't seem particularly sporty/supportive, but you don't need racing seats....this car is apparantly not designed for particularly hard cornering (more on that below). All of the interior trim, particularly the gray carbon-fiber-like dash strip and brushed-metal door-panel trim, is classy, well-fitted, and is well-finished. All of the hardware, controls, and switches (except those noted above) are solid and work smoothly and precisely. The versatile rear seats fold down on either side of the center arm-rest, and the lockable arm-rest folds down to allow long, narrow items to be carried, so there are a number of ways you can configure the rear seat(s) for both passengers and cargo....or have cupholders. Legroom, for this size car, is OK front and rear. With the front seats not all the way back, there is adequate legroom in back for six-footers, though, of course, it is no limo. Headroom, with the sunroof's (an $1000 option) housing, is OK in front for tall people if you work that hand-lever and get the front seat cushions down low. In back, even with the somewhat conservative roofline, headroom is OK for most, but marginal for tall people.....you don't want to put Shaq O'Neill or Michael Jordan back there, for example.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the solid trunk (Like the hood, it is well-made, with good-quality sheet metal), and the clever, well-designed, articulated, scissors-type trunk hinges allow the lid to tilt far up to vertical or more, to clear your head while loading things (Sorry.....I forgot to check if there was an insulation pad underneaththe lid, like on the hood, but I think I remember seeing one...the VW photos/literature don't say). The design of the rear roofline impacts a little on the trunk lid's size (it is a little smaller than it could be (or should be, IMO). But, the trunk itself, once under the trunk lid, due to the conservative, squared-off nature of the rear end, is roomy and space-efficient for this size car. There's room for plenty of luggage, packages, and bags, and foldable "T" hooks that swivel down from above allow you to hang grocery bags on them...a nifty idea. The trunk itself is fairly well-finished, with a thin but nice-feeling, plush, gray carpet on both the walls and trunk floor. And lift up the floorboard to find a shallow storage compartment, then lift that up to find......Well, well, well, can you believe it?....what appears to be a REAL spare tire. I was a little skeptical at first, and I looked at the tire over carefully for any "Temporary" or 60 PSI markings, then double-checked with the PSI recommendations on the drivers' door-jamb....the usual place, and behold, it said "FRONT 35 PSI/REAR 35 PSI/SPARE 35 PSI." So, it does appear to be a genuine spare tire, not a donut or temporary......most unusual in today's El Cheapo cost-cutting market. Good job, VW. Now, toss out the cheap, stamped-steel wheel it's mounted on, and give us a real alloy spare wheel, too (Gosh, I'm never satisfied, am I?....Just kidding. VW does,of course, deserve some credit for that). And this, of course, is not a particularly expensive car, either.....25K is less than the price of the average new car in the American market.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.0L turbodiesel with a conventional transponder-ignition key and switch (the ignition switch is just off the steering column for easier access). The low-friction, metal key goes in and turns smooth as butter. Here is one of the areas where the new, state-of-the-art diesels really show their stuff......no more waiting for old-fashioned glow plugs to heat up for the ignition to work. The engine fires up immediately and settles into a relatively smooth, quiet idle. Yes, I said smooth and quiet.......no more of the loud and obnoxious Pocka-Pocka-Pocka stuff, even with the windows down. And no more of the smelly, black-soot stuff out the exhaust either.....the catalysts, advanced engine computers, and urea-injection system have taken all of that out. While the engine is not Lexus-LS460-quiet, you just get, for the most part, relatively smooth, silent power. Yes, I said power.....at least in reasonable amounts, unlike the snail-like diesels of 30 years ago that made your grandmother look like Jeff Gordon. This engine has enough torque (236 ft-lbs), at only 1500 RPM, to give you a mild but noticeable shove in the back when you step on it. VW lists 0-60 time as 8.2 seconds, but, with the DSG-equipped car I had, it definitely felt faster than that ...I'd estimate 7.5 seconds. Not bad for a car that can take you from New York to Chicago (or further) on one fill-up. Even hard acceleration produced only moderate engine/exhaust noise levels.

The DSG gearbox is as delightful, if not more so, than the engine......this has long been one of my favorite transmissions. However, good as it is, with its multi-clutch programming, it is complex and costly to produce.....probably why VW and Audi are starting to restrict its availability. I'll be mad as hell if they drop it altogether, but you know how the auto industry is....the bean-counters and marketers almost always win out in the end. Anyhow, enjoy this transmission while it lasts. Whether in full-auto, Sport-auto, or manual-shift modes, shifts are so smooth that they are almost imperceptable, even under moderately hard throttle. Kind of like the old Buick Super-Turbine and Dynaflow automatics of decades ago, except a heck of a lot more efficient and with a lot less fluid in them. The DSG, essentially, combines the power and efficiency of a conventional manual with the convienience and smothness of an automatic.....and does so far better than the harsh-shifting BMW SMT (Sequential Manual transmission).....the SMG, in some BMW models, was so harsh that BMW had to rework them because of numerous customer complaints. Last, the DSG also has the proper way to combine the Sport-mode with the manual-mode......something that not even my own Subaru Outback does right. The DSG, the way VW does the shifter on the Jetta, has a separate gate/stop for the shift lever in auto-sport mode. You pull the lever back from D to S (for Sport-auto) to keep shifts full-automatic, but with sportier, higher shift points. You then nudge the lever over to the right, into the fore-aft (+/-) gate for manual shifts. This way, you know what manual-gear you are in BEFORE you start manual shifting. In my Outback, which has similiar functions but
without separate lever positions for sport-auto and manual modes, you don't know that gear you are in until AFTER you have bumped the lever forward or back. I dearly love Outbacks (they are, overall, my favorite car under 35K), but I'm not afraid to criticize functions that I think Subaru could have done better. And, as a bonus, the Jetta's DSG's shift lever works as smoothly/slickly as the transmission itself.

The chassis is also fairly well-done, although steering response is not BMW-quick, and was a little slower than I expected. You can't fling this car around corners with a quick flick of the wrist like a Miata or Honda s2000, but, by German-sedan standards, I expected a little quicker response. The cornering itself, despite the rather slow steering response and understeer, was flat, with little or no body lean. And the power-steering system itself, though, again, not BMW-tactile/precise in feel, had enough road feel in it to keep you reasonably aware of what the front tires were doing. Road noise from the tires was fairly well-snubbed, as was wind and engine noise.....partly a function of that good body sheet metal, high quality seals, and generally tight construction. Ride comfort was generally good for this type of car, with bumps being felt but reasonably well-absorbed.....the suspension seemed fairly softly-sprung but tightly damped.

The brakes were well-done, with quick, instant response, no sponginess, and good stopping power. But the brake pedal was poorly located (above and close to the gas pedal) for my big size 15 shoes to easily use it. My right shoe tended to rest down in a tight hole between the gas pedal and the console edge, then hit the underside of the brake pedal when you lifted it. In addition to that, the placement of the gas pedal and the design of the console's edge caused my right knee to keep hitting the console when I had the seat as I wanted it......perhaps that would not be a problem with a smaller person.

THE VERDICT:

VW has done a superb job with the drivetrain of the Jetta TDI........I've already explained that in detail, and won't rehash that here. The suspension/chassis are also well-done, although the car needs a quicker ratio in the steering rack. Not many cars nowadays give you a real spare tire. A TDI buyer can figure on Federal (and possibly state/local) tax credits, which partially help with the high cost of today's low-sulfur diesel fuel...though you sometimes may have to hunt for a station that sells it. Brakes, as long as your feet are not too large, are a delight to use, and the car rides at least fairly nicely and doesn't assault your ears with road or wind noise. Interior control and gauge design, especially for the stereo, is superb.....a benchmark in some areas. And, short of any dealer markups, the car is reasonably-priced.

But there are a few annoying things a well. The seat leather, like many other new cars today under about the 55-60K level, looks and feels more vinyl than smooth leather. The gas/brake pedal placements aren't for NBA-sized feet. Some control stalks are flimsy and unpleasant to use.....as are the sun visors. The underhood layout, while not the worst, is unimpressive. And, as always, there is the questionable VW electronics and wiring.....they have a tendency to burn up bulbs/sockets and spend more than the average amount of time in the shop getting electrical problems fixed.

But, overall, the Jetta TDI, IMO, is a clear alternative to the popular Toyota Prius and Civic Hybrid, without the unconventional dash/controls of the Prius, and, short of mark-ups, is comparably priced. It offers more or less comparable mileage, with much less complexity under the hood. The high price of low-sulfur diesel fuel and comparative lack of availability are drawbacks, but availability should be no problem in and close to major populated areas, and, of course, as pointed out above, the tax credits help offset some of the fuel price. And, as more new diesels are sold, as I explained above, the fuel price for them may come down some. So, if you've got $25,000 or so burning a hole in your pocket, IMO, there are lots worse ways to spend it.

But, a big question mark looks on the horizon, as the hydrogen/fuel-cell Honda FCX and extended-range gas/electric Chevy/GM Volt become available to the public (hopefully, at afforable prices) in about a year or so. Their drivetrains, at least (I don't know about the rest of them), will be major advances over today's best diesels and hybrids, including the TDI. Just how much so, of course, we'll have to want and see........but, of course, I plan to review and drive them as soon as possible.

CORRECTION:

I found out, this morning, while reading AUTOMOBILE magazine, that I may have made an error in the write-up. Not all 2009 VW diesels have the new urea-injection system (something else the VW web site is vague on), so the American-spec Jetta TDI may not actually have it. Larger Mercedes Blue-Tec diesels do have it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-08 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-17-08, 08:34 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review, good read! The car came with an i pod for 199? Such a good deal
Old 11-17-08, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Great review, good read! The car came with an i pod for 199? Such a good deal
Thanks.

Yes, that was VW's asking price for the I-Pod hookup. I don't use I-Pods myself (I'm not skilled with advanced-tech sound systems). When I want music, I just slip in a CD (usually Heavy Metal, 80's vintage stuff) or turn on the radio.
Old 11-17-08, 09:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested to see how the Legacy diesel stacks up, if/when it arrives in the States. It's a pretty good diesel for a company that has never made one before.
Old 11-17-08, 09:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I'd be interested to see how the Legacy diesel stacks up, if/when it arrives in the States. It's a pretty good diesel for a company that has never made one before.
Rumor is we'll see it next year, for the new redesigned 2010 Legacy/Outback. It will be a mixed blessing, however, if, along with the nice new diesel, they screw up the rest of the new Legacy/Outback with excessive cheapness and cost-cutting like they did the new Forester.

With flat-boxer engine design like Subaru uses, it's doubly important that they get the new diesel right, because diesels are heavy because of block-strength and internal requirements, and boxer engines have a different, lower center of gravity than conventional V and in-line engines. The added torque of a diesel, of course, will be nice......non-turbo 2.5i Subarus tend to be rather sluggish.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-08 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 12:26 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHAT!? I never knew US doesn't have GLI.... (2.0T + DSG(optional))

That's just sad, I love the GLI (but must change to Jetta front though, I don't like GTI front on the GLI), good as GTI, but in subtle sedan form...
Old 11-18-08, 01:51 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Rumor is we'll see it next year, for the new redesigned 2010 Legacy/Outback. It will be a mixed blessing, however, if, along with the nice new diesel, they screw up the rest of the new Legacy/Outback with excessive cheapness and cost-cutting like they did the new Forester.

With flat-boxer engine design like Subaru uses, it's doubly important that they get the new diesel right, because diesels are heavy because of block-strength and internal requirements, and boxer engines have a different, lower center of gravity than conventional V and in-line engines. The added torque of a diesel, of course, will be nice......non-turbo 2.5i Subarus tend to be rather sluggish.
I don't think you need to worry about the new Scooby diesel, it's out in Europe and getting rave reviews:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...0TD-RE/231807/

Subaru’s new diesel-powered Legacy has finally touched down in the UK, adding the prospect of 45mpg to Subaru’s traditional values of permanent four-wheel drive and extreme utility.

The new engine has already won rave reviews thanks to its combination of 148bhp and near class-leading fuel economy: the claimed 49.6mpg is exceptional for a vehicle fitted with permanent four-wheel drive.

What’s it like?
In a word: brilliant. The new engine is a gem – smooth, refined and torquey. Low-down urge is particularly impressive, with strong pull available from just 1200rpm onwards, where most modern turbo-diesels are still languishing in off-boost lethargy.

It’s quiet too, although some of Scooby’s trademark flat-four warble has made the translation into diesel. From a standing start, Subaru has engineered one of the world’s best four-cylinder diesels.
Old 11-18-08, 04:16 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Another stellar write-up Mike... and the musical choices are second to none!!!!
Old 11-18-08, 05:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I don't think you need to worry about the new Scooby diesel, it's out in Europe and getting rave reviews:

Thanks. It's not surprising that it debuts first in Europe. Diesels have always been more popular there.
Old 11-18-08, 05:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Another stellar write-up Mike... and the musical choices are second to none!!!!
Thanks. But, at age 56, I may finally be getting a little too old for that head-pounding stuff. I think I'm starting to outgrow it.
Old 11-18-08, 06:04 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. But, at age 56, I may finally be getting a little too old for that head-pounding stuff. I think I'm starting to outgrow it.
Ted Nugent: "If it's too loud, you're too old!!!"

Ted turns 60 December 13th...

As for me at 42, STILL no music that's too loud.... right now, nothing but AC/DC radio and "Black Ice", Angus is 56!!!

Sorry for thread hijack all!!!!!
Old 11-18-08, 06:12 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Andy

Things to worry about:

Will it be 50 state legal?

Will there be an auto trans. option? Subaru of America is pretty good at attracting buyers for the MT only vehicles, but this case is a little different.

BTW, I'm 22 and every once and awhile I find myself listening to NPR. It scares me.
Old 11-18-08, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Things to worry about:

Will it be 50 state legal?

Will there be an auto trans. option? Subaru of America is pretty good at attracting buyers for the MT only vehicles, but this case is a little different.
Subaru went the opposite with the new Forester....it dropped the MT on the XT turbo model, much to the chagrin of the Subie enthusiast crowd. But the fact was that MT turbos represented only 4 per of Forester sales.

BTW, I'm 22 and every once and awhile I find myself listening to NPR. It scares me.
Nothing wrong with NPR, although it can get boring after awhile, listening to the same old politicians rant about the same old stuff.
Old 11-18-08, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, guys.........back to the new Jetta TDI.

I found out, this morning, while reading AUTOMOBILE magazine, that I may have made an error in the write-up. Not all 2009 VW diesels have the new urea-injection system (something else the VW web site is vague on), so the American-spec Jetta TDI may not actually have it. Larger Mercedes Blue-Tec diesels do have it.
Old 11-18-08, 08:30 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I realize that the two vehicles put out different amounts of power, but Ill note anyway.

E320 Bluetec: 8.2 tons of CO2 anually
Jetta TDI: 6.4 (auto)

Neither one had an air pollution score listed. I wonder why. Delving back a year I found that the E320 has a score of 3, which is down right terrible. An E350 has a score of 7.

For further comparision, the E320 CDI had a score of 1 and put of 7.8 tons of CO2 anually. The '06 Jetta TDI put out the same amount of CO2 as the current with an air pollution score of 1.

Clean diesels?

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 VW Jetta TDI Diesel