Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM/F/C bail out talk

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 04:02 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The horrible Pontiac Aztek alone single handedly destroyed GM..............j/k but seriously I say they don't get the bailout/loan or whatever it is.
Old 11-19-08, 05:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Obviously you didn't take the time to read what I had written in economic terms. ..... . I am not going to sit here and explain it to you, you can go do that yourself.........I won't waste any more of my time
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Dude you need to get your emotions in check and think a little clearer.

Guys let's please keep this conversation on the topic and not on the individuals discussing the topic. Back up your points with details and facts as best you can and understand not everyone is going to agree with your viewpoint. Not agreeing is OK; just keep this a discussion about GM or the bailout.
Old 11-19-08, 06:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
I know it doesn't matter how many models you have. But the statement that Waggoner made was just as I said. To be blunt, I figure Toyota has to have more than ten models that get over 30 mpg highway. I could be wrong. I just figured there would be enough people here to list them. Maybe not.
if you read my numbers, they say toyota almost averages 30 MPG on all of their cars sold :-)
Old 11-19-08, 06:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Fit is actually one of the few cars that GM can indeed compete with. The Chevy Aveo 2LT, for example (not the base Aveo), simply blows the Fit's versatile but cheaply-done interior away in plushness, quality, and trim. (I'm sure you've seen the photos that me and others have posted). But, of course, the Aveo is not a true GM product, being built by Daewoo of Korea for Chevy.
Aveo? Aveo?

Thats cheap Daewoo POS, one of the worst cars on the market... 2LT costs as much as Corolla.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chevro..._2006/250.aspx

(it one of the worst rated cars in the history of EuroNCAP, earning only 1 star... 9 year old Yaris gets 4 stars on the same test)... current model is just an facelift, same car with different nose.)
Old 11-19-08, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree EPA rating doesn't necessarily correlate with real driving, however i disagree it's useless though. i actually think it's a good way to compare between cars. coz' all the EPA ratings are achieved with same setup, so it's truly comparable

real life numbers could be so deceiving it's not close to be meaningful. even with for example gs350, you get people saying from 19mpg to 30mpg easy.

so in that sense, i am pretty happy with the EPA system. not for the numbers but for comparisons
Yes, Henry, I agree the EPA system is not useless, and you can indeed compare apples with apples. But, most of the time, your personal figures-vs.-theirs will be apples and oranges.
Old 11-19-08, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Aveo? Aveo?

Thats cheap Daewoo POS, one of the worst cars on the market... 2LT costs as much as Corolla.
Granted, the Fit has a more reliable drivetrain, and I agree the Aveo is not the best small car for reliability or on-road performance....I brought that out in the recent review I did of the upmarket 2LT version. But if one wants a semi-luxury car interior at a subcompact/compact price, there are few if any better choices. Also note that my comments refer only to the 2LT version. The base Aveo, as you note, is probably the starkest auto in the U.S. market...it doesn't even come with a radio.

If you think I'm kidding, go look at a 2LT for yourself and examine the wood, brushed metal, and general interior/exterior trim quality and smoothness of fit/finish. Then go look at a Fit, and compare the two. If you come up with a different opinion than mine (which is your perogative......like me, you've been looking at new cars for a long time)..........fine, I'll respect it.

But, even before you get to the dealership.....here is a quick visual comparison of the two:

Fit

Aveo 2LT

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-08 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-19-08, 06:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when they have 3-4 duplicates of the same car then thats not really an accomplishment
Old 11-19-08, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I agree wholeheartedly... Look at Mitsubishi... One of Japan's largest corporations. Their auto division was in big trouble not too long ago, but now, it appears, without looking at numbers, that they are on their way back... They'll never be huge, but they are doing OK now, without any government bailout...
That's because they got rid of most of the crooks and bozos who were running the company and replaced them with more competent people.

There is not a day goes by that I don't estimate replacement of front wheel bearings and/or tie rod ends on a Impala/Malibu/Century/Regal. That same line of vehicle, if it was built between 1995 and 2002 and had a 6 cylinder engine, had about a 75% chance of having leaking intake manifold gaskets, roughly a $600 repair (if it was caught before the coolant leaked into the oil and spun a rod bearing)... I could go on and on about GM's lack of reliability, and I completely understand the downline affects of GM folding, but at the same time, it's too little too late...
You obviously have some experience reparing GM vehicles (and I agree with a lot of what you say). How do you feel about the brakes on pre-2007 large GM trucks/SUV's (Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Escalade, etc)? That, IMO, has long been one of GM's weakest points. They seem to have improved a little with the recent 2007 redesign, but still not all that much.

For instance, my ex-boss, several years ago, wanted a new Yukon XL (Suburban), and asked me for advice. I went with him to look at one and test-drive it. The brakes on it were so poor it scared me. We check-drove some other similiar GM vehicles....same thing.
Old 11-19-08, 07:47 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
I find it interesting that not one U.S. automaker is ranked in the top 12 globally (VW, Toyota one and two respectively)! I say let them burn to the ground.....they got themselves in this mess and it shouldn't take our taxpayers dollars to bail them out
I believe this to be the most concise statement /post I've read on CL in quite some time... especially since I agree with EVERY word
Old 11-19-08, 10:39 AM
xioix
Racer

Want to see how many Chevy's there are that GM counts?

Cobalt XFE Coupe
Cobalt XFE Sedan
Malibu Hybrid
Aveo5
Aveo Sedan
Malibu
HHR
HHR Panel

http://www.chevrolet.com/fuelsolutio..._FUELSOLUTIONS
Old 11-19-08, 11:47 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Geez louise, has this thing gone off the rails. There is a lively discussion on the auto bailout in the Debate Forum and it wasn't my intention to start another one here.

I didn't actually think it would be difficult for GM to say they have over 20 models that get over 30mpg highway, as meaningless as it is. But it was Waggoner's boast that that was twice as many as any other car maker that got to me.

Now no one has generated specific numbers but I was really curious if Toyota falls into this category of having 10 or less models that get 30mpg or better highway. That was about it. I have to believe that Toyota does have over 10 models that get that mileage and as spwolf points out, they have a lot more cars that probably average that number.

In all honesty, I may not be surprised if Ford has more than ten models that also get over 30mpg highway. I don't know how Wagoner/GM got their number and what wiggle room they have for how they define "model" but I think he really was blowing smoke up the Senate's skirt yesterday. It is just that the elected officials know so little about the car biz, and they had such little time, that no one called him on it. And that was just one of a string of "misrepresentations" that GM, Ford, and Chrysler made in order to leave DC with their checks.

But, like I said, if you want to simply debate the various bailouts and causes for GMs problems, it is probably much better suited to the Debate Forum. But thanks to those of you who did post relevant comments. And the one about the number of different "models" that are the same car for GM was one I hadn't thought of either. Good point.
Old 11-19-08, 12:37 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because they got rid of most of the crooks and bozos who were running the company and replaced them with more competent people.
Maybe that's what GM needs. They need someone who can admit that their cars are simply not consumer-friendly. Maybe they need to downsize, redesign everything, improve quality, and etc. etc. , and none of that can be achieved with a bailout right now.

Sad but true, GM is still alive to cover up the fact that US is in a recession. If it's coming sooner or later, might as well be now so we can start the recovery process asap.
Old 11-19-08, 12:47 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Well I see you and many others here and close to no clue what macroeconomics is.

"Burn to the ground" - stunning. So you're inviting a depression? Have you turned on your television set lately? Do you know what state the economy is currently in? And here some of you are adovating the "burning" of the economies largest manufacturing base. Forget the unprecedented levels of unemployment, just think what affect the multiplyer would have on the loss of GDP to this nation where spending to drop to a standstill. Forget about the unions, forget about all this frankly, garbage, that some people want to make a partisan game out of...Wake up and realize that you can't play with fire, and playing around with something as important as this is not any time for some hashed-over personal views on domestic cars. This is about the US economy, about unemployment, about whether we stay in a sustainable recession, or we spiral uncontrollably into a depression. Some people do not understand.

I'm sure many members here are well versed in economics, accounting, finance and business. No need to state that no one here has a clue about macroeconomics.

There's a thread here somewhere that asks if one is for a bail out or not for the American automakers and most agree that we should not bail out the American automakers...and I agree. It's a painfull lesson and it's tough love but we have to move on...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...33#post4009833

R.I.P. General Motors...

Last edited by Trexus; 11-19-08 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 01:19 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trexus
I'm sure many members here are well versed in economics, accounting, finance and business. No need to state that no one here has a clue about macroeconomics.

There's a thread here somewhere that asks if one is for a bail out or not for the American automakers and most agree that we should not bail out the American automakers...and I agree. It's a painfull lesson and it's tough love but we have to move on...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...33#post4009833

R.I.P. General Motors...
When people sit around here typing "burn GM", "go die GM" and fail to discuss (or even admit to) any of the catastrophic wide ranging economic consequences then yes, they are not backing up what they are saying with anything more than left-over bias becuase they own an import car.

Frankly, this is a dicussion left up to people with vast knowledge of economics and financial markets, not some joe slo who has disdain for domestic companies and who can make some offhand remarks about Unions and the free market. Some people just need to look at all the facts and then make a decision, instead of looking at it with polarizing anti-domestic, anti-GM blinders on, which IS happening here and across the country. This is not some opportunity to break down union laws forever, to do away with unions, the doemstic base of this country. It's like some people are championing GM to fail because they simply don't like their cars, which is tremendously sad. I would have hoped people would realize what many of my friends and other top economists KNOW will be a pivitol blow to an already limping economy. Letting them fall is not an option, as Obama, Paulson, Bush, and many Republicans have realized. There WILL be a bailout, because it's the intelligent thing to do in this situation.
Old 11-19-08, 01:24 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I believe this to be the most concise statement /post I've read on CL in quite some time... especially since I agree with EVERY word
Thanks.....I'm here all week

Quick Reply: GM/F/C bail out talk