Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM/F/C bail out talk

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 06:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

One of the senators at the hearing said flying commercial a time or two, or even private jet pooling to D.C. would at least send a signal that the execs "get it".
Old 11-20-08, 06:46 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had Bloomberg on in the office yesterday... I did not hear ONE SINGLE WORD ON HOW THEY PLAN TO FIX ANYTHING, just "We need the dollars, the economy is down, credit is down... blah, blah, blah... "

Rick Waggoner: "We have 20 vehicles that get 30mpg"... and yet you STILL bled $4.2 billion in ONE quarter.... hmmmm.... how was the flight in?
Old 11-20-08, 07:10 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
The only thing that bothers me about this is that they couldn't all get together and go in one private jet.
No can do. Antitrust lawyers would be all over their case. You can't send three CEO's in the same industry on the same plane. The possiblility of collusion, real or imagined, is too great. No one in their right mind would allow this. This is the world we live in. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Has anybody questioned Nancy Pelosi's use of a Government plane to fly back and forth to CA? She's filthy rich and could afford to fly on her own dime. Why doesn't she? The Government is, in many ways, just as broke as GM or Ford, yet she has a large plane at her disposal. Double standard?
Old 11-20-08, 07:17 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Absolutely. And if a CEO has to be at an important meeting (say, testifying before Congress like in the current hearings, he or she is expected to be there on time. That often is not possible with flight delays in the airlines.
Yes, if Rick Wagoner flew commercial and the flight was cancelled and he missed his appearance in front of Congress we know how the Press would have shown pictures of the empty chair and castigating GM for not being serious about the whole issue. The whole issue is PR. Symbolism is important, but Americans tend to live in the world of Hollywood where all problems are solved at the end of the show. Unfortunately, reality tends to intrude on this make-believe world.
Old 11-20-08, 07:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't want the Big Three to fail.

However, I want the Big Three to learn their lesson. The hard way.

I think it's best they do go bankrupt, get bankruptcy protection, dispatch Unions and costly pensions, reorganize, and "start from scratch."
Old 11-20-08, 07:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
No can do. Antitrust lawyers would be all over their case. You can't send three CEO's in the same industry on the same plane. The possiblility of collusion, real or imagined, is too great. No one in their right mind would allow this. This is the world we live in. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Has anybody questioned Nancy Pelosi's use of a Government plane to fly back and forth to CA? She's filthy rich and could afford to fly on her own dime. Why doesn't she? The Government is, in many ways, just as broke as GM or Ford, yet she has a large plane at her disposal. Double standard?
Good point, but one could argue (I guess) that Nancy P. is doing work for the government/constituents vs. the CEO's doing work on behalf of their corporations who are seeking government $$'s.

In any case, I'm glad the whole issue is being questioned vs. a knee jerk bailout that is regretted later.
Old 11-20-08, 07:57 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee

Last time I checked Pelosi isn't getting multi million dollar end of year bonuses.....last time I checked, Chrysler went through this years ago demanding money for a bailout and look where they are today? Right back where they started asking the taxpayers to save their pathetic company. File for a structured chapter 11, where these horrible companies can restructure and at the very least, have a chance at making it. Some might argue that sales will decline and that no one will buy a car from a company that is bankrupt? Is anyone buying these cars to begin with? Look at their sales (not even in the top 12 globally). Chapter 11 is the only way to go in my opinoin.......and throwing more money at the big three will only delay the inevitable.....chapter 7 which is total liquidation!

The horse won't move because he's been beaten to death
Old 11-20-08, 08:02 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

At this moment, I don’t know what I want to happen to the Big 3. I want them to learn their lesson but I don’t want to see the employees suffer from bad management. I kind feel bad for just purchasing a Benz when I probably could have gotten an American car. I think we need to demand more from our American companies but at the same time support them by purchasing their cars.
Old 11-20-08, 08:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Word! Let the market decide their fate, not the goverment.
Do you feel the same about the bank where you put money that probably got some bailout money?
Old 11-20-08, 08:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
How did this conversation move to Ford's impending doom? I am of the understanding that Ford still has the cash reserves to get through 2010 even in a worst case scenario. They have also made attempts to restructure and seem to have a longer term plan. Are they not in a position to carry forward...especially if either/both GM and Chrysler go under?
Ford's stock is just over $1 and they will be delisted soon. Goodbye Ford.
Old 11-20-08, 08:14 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Goodbye and good riddance! GM is next
Old 11-20-08, 08:16 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ford's stock is just over $1 and they will be delisted soon. Goodbye Ford.
DAMN!!!!!

Gotta turn on Bloomberg again...
Old 11-20-08, 08:20 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

GM just $2.00

Wave goodbye....is GM still a Dow component
Old 11-20-08, 08:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

chapter 11, will allow them to blow away union contracts, then they can restructure.

Originally Posted by rogers2
At this moment, I don’t know what I want to happen to the Big 3. I want them to learn their lesson but I don’t want to see the employees suffer from bad management. I kind feel bad for just purchasing a Benz when I probably could have gotten an American car. I think we need to demand more from our American companies but at the same time support them by purchasing their cars.
why would you buy an inferior product because you felt sorry for that company? The market demanded more and the japanese satisfied that demand and hence why we buy their vehicles a lot more. Its not our fault they didnt listen to the marketplace for decades. Go ahead and buy their products if you wish, youre only helping the unions that destroyed those companies.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 11-20-08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-20-08, 08:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
Wave goodbye....is GM still a Dow component
Yes, they are.

Quick Reply: GM/F/C bail out talk