Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Great reviews and write up on Toyota Venza!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08 | 04:28 PM
ST430
Pole Position

After seeing the new RX350, this Venza is essentially a baby / lite version of it, whereas the Highlander is the Jumbo (7seat) version. Smart move on Toyco's part...
Old 11-19-08 | 04:42 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
After seeing the new RX350, this Venza is essentially a baby / lite version of it, whereas the Highlander is the Jumbo (7seat) version. Smart move on Toyco's part...
Yeah,
It'll be a great choice for people who can't really afford the RX...it looks similar and appears to have all the utilities...It, too, is growing on me
Old 11-19-08 | 05:12 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

it looks almost exactly the same as the new rx, but better unfortunetly
Old 11-19-08 | 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Yeah,
It'll be a great choice for people who can't really afford the RX...it looks similar and appears to have all the utilities...It, too, is growing on me
All the more reason, IMO, why Lexus should do a version of it (as I posted in the other Venza thread). That way, Lexus customers could choose between that and the RX.

I know which one I'd take.
Old 11-19-08 | 06:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would like to read a great review on
MR2
new Supra
AWD Celica
LF-A
GS-F

Toyota clearly has proven it can make incredible family vehicles. I yearn for something more.
Soon you'll be ready for a family vehicle though.
Old 11-19-08 | 06:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I saw the sema Venza and it looked really nice. I think thye had the thing dropped on 24" wheels. It looked amazing
Old 11-19-08 | 07:02 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Toyota is coming back! This might be the future of the car, replacing the traditional sedan.
Old 11-19-08 | 07:12 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by superchan7
Toyota is coming back! This might be the future of the car, replacing the traditional sedan.

Huh? It's crossover. You know... like the ones we've had for years now.
Old 11-19-08 | 11:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Too sleek and low to be a crossover. It's more of a wagon than anything, despite what Toyota calls it.
Old 11-19-08 | 11:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would like to read a great review on
MR2
new Supra
AWD Celica
LF-A
GS-F

Toyota clearly has proven it can make incredible family vehicles. I yearn for something more.
Posted by Mike at 4:20 PM...

We can dream about cool Toyotas, I guess.
Old 11-20-08 | 12:04 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedflex
It's a crossover "SUV" with all of the off-road capability removed, yielding a more car-like weight and fuel economy. It's no Highlander or RAV4, so it's not really an SUV. It has a decidedly upscale interior that places it above the Camry, long the gold standard of sedans sold in the US. Its cargo-carrying ability far surpasses that of the Camry and all other sedans. Its height allows entry and exit comfort again far surpassing that of sedans, without the excessive entry height of SUVs.

That's why it appeals to me and that's why I feel it's different from the original "Crossover" term, which referred to SUVs built on modified versions of unibody sedan architecture in an effort to replicate the comfort of a car while maintaining enough ground clearance and off-road toughness of traditional ladder-frame SUVs.

The Venza was actually my idea of an ideal "Crossover" since I and most others don't care for off-roading. I'm 6'1" and do not like bending down to enter a sedan. The problem is worse for newer cars since style demands faster rooflines, resulting in less headroom. Who knows, maybe this is what people have been looking for, and all the RAV4 and Highlander-types might face surprising competition in the coming future.
Old 11-20-08 | 07:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by superchan7
It's a crossover "SUV" with all of the off-road capability removed, yielding a more car-like weight and fuel economy.

The Venza was actually my idea of an ideal "Crossover" since I and most others don't care for off-roading.
My estimate is that only 10% of all SUVs and crossovers sold in the U.S. actually get to see "off road" conditions (and that's a high estimate; I'm considering all those SUVs out in the Midwest and rural areas).

A lot less in urban areas, where SUVs used to be the neighborhood status symbol...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 11-20-08 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-20-08 | 08:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
My estimate is that only 10% of all SUVs and crossovers sold in the U.S. actually get to see "off road" conditions.

A lot less in urban areas, where SUVs used to be the neighborhood status symbol...
probably even less... but then you go to your winter holidays with Venza and get stuck in snow because it is too low to the ground :-).

Everything has its own uses...

I wish Lexus would do their own version but I am pretty sure that RX will end up being better drive too due to the more expensive suspension setup, so at the end it is basically very similar vehicle to the RX. Both are smaller than Highlander, with smaller and narrower wheelbase/chasis so both should be lighter and more drivable...

Venza seems like perfect fit between Highlander and RX...
Old 11-20-08 | 08:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Soon you'll be ready for a family vehicle though.
Wagon or Ford Flex for me If it was the Honda Flex, it would be a top 20 best seller

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Posted by Mike at 4:20 PM...

We can dream about cool Toyotas, I guess.
I swear we have GOT to meet. ...at Hooters
Old 11-20-08 | 08:43 AM
link13
Lead Lap

I kind of like the Venza. It was the coolest new model at the OC auto show. You could only get within about 20 feet of it, but the interior looked very nice and Lexus-like. I hope it sells well.

Quick Reply: Great reviews and write up on Toyota Venza!!