Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Great reviews and write up on Toyota Venza!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 08:46 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
It's a crossover "SUV" with all of the off-road capability removed, yielding a more car-like weight and fuel economy. It's no Highlander or RAV4, so it's not really an SUV. It has a decidedly upscale interior that places it above the Camry, long the gold standard of sedans sold in the US. Its cargo-carrying ability far surpasses that of the Camry and all other sedans. Its height allows entry and exit comfort again far surpassing that of sedans, without the excessive entry height of SUVs.

That's why it appeals to me and that's why I feel it's different from the original "Crossover" term, which referred to SUVs built on modified versions of unibody sedan architecture in an effort to replicate the comfort of a car while maintaining enough ground clearance and off-road toughness of traditional ladder-frame SUVs.

The Venza was actually my idea of an ideal "Crossover" since I and most others don't care for off-roading. I'm 6'1" and do not like bending down to enter a sedan. The problem is worse for newer cars since style demands faster rooflines, resulting in less headroom. Who knows, maybe this is what people have been looking for, and all the RAV4 and Highlander-types might face surprising competition in the coming future.
Nobody who drives a crossover has any delusions of going off-road with it. They are all car-based vehicles. Tall wagons or low SUVs. The Chrysler Pacifica is pretty much what the Venza is. I don't see this as any sort of revolution. Maybe an evolution of the crossover even more toward the car but nothing much else.
Old 11-20-08, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
It's a crossover "SUV" with all of the off-road capability removed, yielding a more car-like weight and fuel economy. It's no Highlander or RAV4, so it's not really an SUV. It has a decidedly upscale interior that places it above the Camry, long the gold standard of sedans sold in the US.
The Camry, despite huge sales numbers, hasn't been the gold standard of interiors for some years now. The quality of the interior materials started declining in the late 1990s and has been getting cheaper with each generation. I went into this at length in my last review of a Camry.

The 1992-1996 generation Camry probably reached its peak in automotive perfection.....that was a superb car.