Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Nissan GT-R Loses Launch Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 06:34 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its nothing official yet and Japanese model for '09 ('10 in US) still has it
Old 11-20-08, 07:46 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bean
Abuse? Its a feature they put on the car. Nissan is known for glass trannies and glass rear-ends (post R200 and R230 anyway). The 350z 6-speed can hardly handle as much peak torque as the W58 in the SC3 or NA Supra. Nissan == cost-cutting. I don't know who is more at fault; the idiots who thought Nissan wouldnt do this to them or Nissan themselves.
Amen dude. I love how when someone posts in here about how the GT-R is the greatest car ever produced, and what a bargain it is, and 10 second car (that blew it's tranny after pass) and blah blah blah.....as soon as someone else chimes in about how they don't think it's all that, they get flamed to death. Then, when news of Nissan eating crow and admitting to us what we have already known, the GT-R strokers are nowhere to be seen!

Godzilla+weak a$$ parts+cookie cutter tranny=big fat purple Barney "I love you, you love me, give me a new extended warr-an-ty"
Old 11-20-08, 08:14 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

All give me a break. I do not own a GT-R but it is obvious you cannot continue to abuse a car and expect it to be cover by warranty. The car computer probably tracks how many times a person uses launch control. Honestly after seen the car on Top Gear most people probably do not even know how to drive the car. I doubt they cut cost on the car transmission especially since the entire purpose of the car is to kick ***.
Old 11-20-08, 08:33 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogers2
I doubt they cut cost on the car transmission especially since the entire purpose of the car is to kick ***.
Yeah, so Nissan was like...

Well, the car only needs to kick *** so many times so let's just make the tranny strong (or rather, weak) enough to take that many times of abuse. After that then it's the owners' fault because the car can only kick *** that many times.

What Nissan has forgotten is that they offered the launch control as a FEATURE, like the darn A/C and the power ECT button in my IS. I wonder what kind a hell would people raise if Lexus announces like the power ECT button can only be turn on so many times. I can see angry mobs burning down Lexus dealerships...

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 11-20-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-20-08, 09:29 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ ECT power vs LC is not an apples to apples comparison IMO. Aren't most of the faster 1/4 mile ISs leaving he ECT power off anyway to achieve their times? Even if, or when, their times were better with ECT is was minimal at best. Honestly, I really doubt most Lexus buyers would care if they took away ECT and I am willing to bet most dont even know what it is, where the button is, or what it does.

LC is much more dramatic than ECT power and while I don't condone that fact that it might be causing all of these transmissions to blow you can't continually beat on a car and expect it to last as long as someone who doesnt. I think we're also forgetting that 0-60 is not what makes the GT-R special; it was never claimed to the the king of 1/4 mile or anything like that. The car is made to be a real race track, you know, with a turn here and there.

Perhaps Nissan's biggest mistake in offering the switch was that they put too much faith in people having any sort of good judgment and to use the LC perhaps more responsibly. LC or not, the GT-R is still fast as hell with very very few cars that can touch it for it's price, sans dealer mark-up.
Old 11-20-08, 09:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^^ ECT power vs LC is not an apples to apples comparison IMO. Aren't most of the faster 1/4 mile ISs leaving he ECT power off anyway to achieve their times? Even if, or when, their times were better with ECT is was minimal at best. Honestly, I really doubt most Lexus buyers would care if they took away ECT and I am willing to bet most dont even know what it is, where the button is, or what it does.

LC is much more dramatic than ECT power and while I don't condone that fact that it might be causing all of these transmissions to blow you can't continually beat on a car and expect it to last as long as someone who doesnt. I think we're also forgetting that 0-60 is not what makes the GT-R special; it was never claimed to the the king of 1/4 mile or anything like that. The car is made to be a real race track, you know, with a turn here and there.

Perhaps Nissan's biggest mistake in offering the switch was that they put too much faith in people having any sort of good judgment and to use the LC perhaps more responsibly. LC or not, the GT-R is still fast as hell with very very few cars that can touch it for it's price, sans dealer mark-up.
Too many ifs, ands, or buts.

Sure, the GT-R is still really fast and great value, assuming you don't use LC and break your tranny, AND assuming you didn't pay a huge dealer mark-up for it.

Nissan's biggest mistake was OFFERING the switch in the first place! The simple fact that the GT-R HAS the switch means LC is a FEATURE, regardless of how useful it is, or how often owners use it.

Nissan realized they screwed up and are now getting rid of the switch. The switch should have never been offered in the first place.

I bet the only reason Nissan offered it was to brag about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Having an unsupported feature available on the car that also voids the warranty, JUST so Nissan could say "the GT-R hits 0-60 and the 1/4 mile in X and X times".
Old 11-20-08, 09:50 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^^ ECT power vs LC is not an apples to apples comparison IMO.
Of course they are not but you are missing the point:

Both are FEATURES in the car. Period.

Only be able to use the LC so many times is like one can only use his radios in the car so many times. To me that's a load of BS.
Old 11-20-08, 11:01 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

This is why we cant have nice things!
Old 11-20-08, 11:02 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpower
Of course they are not but you are missing the point:

Both are FEATURES in the car. Period.

Only be able to use the LC so many times is like one can only use his radios in the car so many times. To me that's a load of BS.
Very true. That's why getting rid of it should be the correct move in the long run, unless Nissan can solve the reliability issue.
Old 11-20-08, 02:26 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

putting feature on a car and telling customers they can't use it? PLEASE give me a break. They made a mistake for putting that switch in the car in the first place! They had to do it to say "oh we can go 0-60 in so many seconds and blah blah.." Its a nice car and all but don't try to sell customers a feature and telling them not to touch it.. WTH??

It's like saying lexus put LC in our cars and claim that 0-60 in 3ish seconds.. most of us buy it and lexus goes BUT IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY...whats the point of buying the car that can do 0-60 in 3plus second if YOU CANT USE THE DAMN THING TO ITS POTENTIAL...
just a thought
Old 11-20-08, 02:34 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Akatsuki
putting feature on a car and telling customers they can't use it? PLEASE give me a break. They made a mistake for putting that switch in the car in the first place! They had to do it to say "oh we can go 0-60 in so many seconds and blah blah.." Its a nice car and all but don't try to sell customers a feature and telling them not to touch it.. WTH??

It's like saying lexus put LC in our cars and claim that 0-60 in 3ish seconds.. most of us buy it and lexus goes BUT IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY...whats the point of buying the car that can do 0-60 in 3plus second if YOU CANT USE THE DAMN THING TO ITS POTENTIAL...
just a thought

Snap!

And where are all the GT-R strokers in here......your beloved Godzilla is getting killed and you are nowhere to be seen

Where is this guy now?

"UGH you are so thick man.

How do you know GTR transmissions have issues? Do you know anyone personally? Or do you just read junk online and feed yourself on it?

I have about 1000 Track miles on my GTR. Car only gets better by each session as it breaks in. How I can down shift the Borgwarner gears while at the apex is sublime, unmatched by anything I have driven before. have a dragged it? no. such car are not built for it. There is a lot more to this car then 0- 60 times.

anyway talking about if the car can handle the stress from the LC?
well here is a proof that you my friend have jumped on some retarded bandwagon "

Last edited by 8speed; 11-20-08 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-20-08, 02:54 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

should have offered a manual transmission option for purists like me that won't drive anything else in their sports cars.
Old 11-20-08, 02:57 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

instead of building the tranny they took the LC off? thats weak on their part...
Old 11-20-08, 03:18 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its more of a glass tranny The manual would have broken too.

I agree with 97-SC300; they should have bolstered the transmission or ensured through some electronic trickery that the full load didn't get put down during launch. Sure it would have been a bit slower, but it also would have saved some transmissions. Good ol' French.. ahem I mean Nissan engineering.

The GTR release and these problems make it so shady to me; the trap speed and horsepower numbers that didn't add up, etc. And yeah, if you bring up problems with the GTR or something you don't like, you get flamed for it by all the fanboys.

Luckily, I don't care much about getting flamed and don't mind handing out my fair share; as many of you know
Old 11-20-08, 03:30 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
I think its more of a glass tranny The manual would have broken too.

I agree with 97-SC300; they should have bolstered the transmission or ensured through some electronic trickery that the full load didn't get put down during launch. Sure it would have been a bit slower, but it also would have saved some transmissions. Good ol' French.. ahem I mean Nissan engineering.

The GTR release and these problems make it so shady to me; the trap speed and horsepower numbers that didn't add up, etc. And yeah, if you bring up problems with the GTR or something you don't like, you get flamed for it by all the fanboys.

Luckily, I don't care much about getting flamed and don't mind handing out my fair share; as many of you know
Amen to that! And the rest of this post!

Quick Reply: 2010 Nissan GT-R Loses Launch Control