Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Nissan GT-R Loses Launch Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 07:51 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Nissan GT-R Loses Launch Control

09.nissan.gtr.act-f34-2.555.jpgWith the Internet bursting with ugly tales of GT-R launch control abuse, broken transaxles and void warranties, a nasty rumor began; that the 2010 Nissan GT-R won't have launch control.

Could it be? Really?

So we asked and asked and asked. We asked three Nissan employees: one from the public relations department, one from engineering and one high-ranking executive. The first two confirmed its removal was being considered seriously, but the decision had not yet been made. Then the high-ranking executive confirmed the bad news.

"It's gone," he said when asked if launch control would return in 2010. "We just don't want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore. It'll make the 2009 GT-R really special. It'll be the only R35 with launch control." -- Kelly Toepke, News Editor
Source: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...h-control.html

I guess Nissan was like: enough is enough, we have to get rid of the launch control in order to save our faces from the weak tranny...
Old 11-19-08, 08:04 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpower
Source: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...h-control.html

I guess Nissan was like: enough is enough, we have to get rid of the launch control in order to save our faces from the weak tranny...
It's what I have been saying all along

Give me the new CTS-V anyday......GM might be bankrupt in a year, but at least I won't have to worry about my slushbox imploding
Old 11-19-08, 08:10 PM
LexFather

()#$%()#$()$#() OWNERS!!! So we abuse the GT-R and they get rid of it. We can't run car companies. We sue for no damn reason.

Old 11-19-08, 08:16 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, well i guess it's better that way.. less people whining
Old 11-19-08, 08:16 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

^ haha, that pic is great.
Old 11-19-08, 08:28 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

And they can kiss 3.5 seconds 0-60 goodbye

Godzilla is looking more like Barney
Old 11-19-08, 09:20 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

It just takes a couple minutes searching on some GTR forums to realize Nissan completely overlooked this feature, considering how every feature is worked to death to see what abuse it can take, nothing compares to when the product gets into the hands of the consumer

Not that Im gonna be buying this car, but if I did I would like to try the Launch Control but not at the risk of destroying my trans, it is a feature that is offered

I wonder how many people/owners know about the 1800 mile trans fluid changes

Last edited by <VENOM>; 11-19-08 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 11:03 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
()#$%()#$()$#() OWNERS!!! So we abuse the GT-R and they get rid of it. We can't run car companies. We sue for no damn reason.

Abuse? Its a feature they put on the car. Nissan is known for glass trannies and glass rear-ends (post R200 and R230 anyway). The 350z 6-speed can hardly handle as much peak torque as the W58 in the SC3 or NA Supra. Nissan == cost-cutting. I don't know who is more at fault; the idiots who thought Nissan wouldnt do this to them or Nissan themselves.
Old 11-19-08, 11:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Finally Nissan did SOMETHING. Since they don't want to deal with the warranty issues, and since LC technically is a feature/functionality of the car, getting rid of it is a good thing to do from their point-of-view. Some owners might be a bit dissapointed since straight-line performance won't be as scorching, just slightly slower.
Old 11-19-08, 11:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
Abuse? Its a feature they put on the car. Nissan is known for glass trannies and glass rear-ends (post R200 and R230 anyway). The 350z 6-speed can hardly handle as much peak torque as the W58 in the SC3 or NA Supra. Nissan == cost-cutting. I don't know who is more at fault; the idiots who thought Nissan wouldnt do this to them or Nissan themselves.
I vote Nissan themselves. Cost-cutting on important components of a car that's meant to be a technological statement to the competition as well as the world is a BIG mistake.
Old 11-19-08, 11:35 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I vote Nissan themselves. Cost-cutting on important components of a car that's meant to be a technological statement to the competition as well as the world is a BIG mistake.
For the fear of being labled a "GTR Hater" again, I have said it all along that they cut costs in many areas. And as I have said before, I have seen better "quality" cars from nissan around $40K, the ONLY thing it has going for it is it is fast. It was just my thoughts from the begining that it was not what people were making it out to be.
Old 11-19-08, 11:51 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

did anyone really need any more proof that (edit: most) americans are retards? i didnt think so...but i guess i was wrong. hey if bmw did it, i dont see why nissan wouldnt. and last i checked, the gtr was designed to be fast. so yes, you called the kettle black, you utter genius.
Old 11-19-08, 11:56 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gshb
... you utter genius.
Thanks, I had my suspicions.
Old 11-20-08, 03:30 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

if this is true, then this is ebarrassing for nissan.

car manufacturer ceo's = lulz
Old 11-20-08, 05:58 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Ha Ha I was wondering if they would do that.....oh well.....car still has a lot of potential.

Quick Reply: 2010 Nissan GT-R Loses Launch Control