Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D 2009 10Best Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08 | 10:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Default C&D 2009 10Best Cars

BMW 3-series / M3
Cadillac CTS / CTS-V
Chevrolet Corvette
Honda Accord
Honda Fit
Infiniti G37
Jaguar XF
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Porsche Boxster and Cayman
Volkswagen GTI

Autumn in the Midwest means cold cider and warm doughnuts to a lot of folks, but for the C/D staff, it also means the weeklong rousing of a few quiet burgs as we descend on a rural route about 30 miles from our Ann Arbor office in search of the coming year’s 10Best cars.

This year, our home base changed—we upgraded to a location with a paved parking lot in the interest of floor-mat preservation and real bathrooms in the interest of staff sanity—but the roads traveled did not. Our traffic violations numbered zero, a nice change of pace from last year’s record total. Our judging criteria and the rules, however, remain constant.

Cars are judged on three points. The first is how well they perform their intended functions—sedans and hatchbacks should be spacious and versatile, economy cars should be frugal (but not punishing), and sports cars should be responsive and satisfying. Secondly, we consider how engaging a car is on an emotional level—do we emerge from a drive with a smile, and does it hold our gaze as we walk away? Finally, we look at how competitive a car’s pricing is for the levels of versatility, practicality, and fun it offers. We recognize value when we see it and we highlight those cars that possess it.

Eligibility for 10Best is determined based on newness and past 10Best success. All cars either new or significantly redesigned are allowed. Additionally, cars that made the list in 2008 are automatically invited back for 2009, providing they still clear our price cap—2.5 times the average new-car transaction price for all light-duty vehicles sold through August of the previous year, or $71,000 this time around.

If a car fails to make the list its first year on the market, it’s out of contention until a significant redesign renews its eligibility. Conversely, if a car consistently impresses us enough to be voted to the list year after year, it can remain on the list indefinitely, even if it receives no updates. But all eligible cars must be available for sale no later than January 2009.

Read on for 2009’s 10Best. While Car and Driver is staffed by enthusiasts, the 10Best cars are not just the ones we recommend to our hotfoot readers. These are cars we recommend to everyone.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rs_10best_cars
Old 11-20-08 | 10:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Nice to see the Jaguar XF on that list. The rest is the same usual boring suspects.
Old 11-20-08 | 10:27 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

So its almost the same as every other year.....
Old 11-20-08 | 10:31 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

As the previous posters mentioned, a lot (Accord, 3er, Miata/MX-5, etc.) is just old news.

The new Jaguars are very nice!
Old 11-20-08 | 10:33 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Car and Driver's 10Best Cars is probably the auto industry's most overrated award...

That's just my opinion.
Old 11-20-08 | 11:52 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

C&D is dead. Look elsewhere for auto info. Let the company die already...
Old 11-21-08 | 12:47 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Okay I have to look up C&D Jan 2008 issue to see the 10 Best cars of last year. They were: Mazda MX-5, Porsche Boxster/Cayman, Mazda 3, Volkswagen GTI, Chevrolet Corvette, Honda Fit, Honda Accord, Chevrolet Malibu, Cadillac CTS, BMW 3-series. Only two new cars different from last year, that is, Infiniti G37 and Jaguar XF replacing Mazda 3 and Chevrolet Malibu, and Honda Fit is the second generation instead of first generation. C&D editorials want to intentionally keep their choices consistent or what?
Old 11-21-08 | 12:49 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpower
Car and Driver's 10Best Cars is probably the auto industry's most overrated award...

That's just my opinion.
Yep! Sponsor biased list.
Old 11-21-08 | 01:01 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

lol its pretty much the same list like last year...
Old 11-21-08 | 05:33 AM
LexFather

The Fit should not be on there. The XF is nice but simply does not have the array of choices the 5 series has. They are letting style dictate that choice but the ugly Fit gets a pass.

Its not a bad list, its very arguable. I totally agree the G37 should be on that list.
Old 11-21-08 | 05:55 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

people still read C&D?

I read that 7 years ago and stopped shortly thereafter
Old 11-21-08 | 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Fit should not be on there. The XF is nice but simply does not have the array of choices the 5 series has. They are letting style dictate that choice but the ugly Fit gets a pass.

Its not a bad list, its very arguable. I totally agree the G37 should be on that list.
Generally a good list. I agree with you that the Fit is questionable, given its rather lackluster handling, low torque level, and cheap, unpleasant interior trim. The interior, especially, like the Subaru Forester and Acura TSX, is a significant letdown from the 2008 models.
Old 11-21-08 | 06:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of this list I agree with...but I continue to take issue with the Honda Accord.

Considering it's competitors I just don't think it's that great of a car. Camry and Altima made greater strides in their new generations than Honda did with the Accord, and the Malibu and Aura are also more compelling choices.

Just don't think the Accord, or Fit, are really that great. I think C&D feels compelled to put it on there because it has been so long...a viscous cycle if you will.

It's like they get together the list from last year and say "Are they still good enough? Oh, kick out the Mazda and Malibu? The rest are good? Ok cool I didn't want to have to actually drive a bunch of other cars to determine which ones are better."
Old 11-21-08 | 07:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Every year after this issue comes out, the next month's letters to the editor are full of comments about cars that were left off the list, and "it's about time" for cars that were added. If nothing else, it creates a lot of interest.
Old 11-21-08 | 07:39 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I think theCTS should be #1.
The Bimmer has been there too long.
CTS has the handling, power, brakes, roominess, luxury and sport of the 3 series. It was Car of the Year so why not make it #1 for 10Best for 08.

Quick Reply: C&D 2009 10Best Cars