Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar’s green light for XF roadster and Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-08, 03:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
Lexus has so little interest in the GS I would be surprised if the next redesign is little more than new paint colors.
based on what they did to the RX, the GS probably won't be more than a slight evolution.
and they might botch it too
Old 11-21-08, 03:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I have no clue what are they doing with this. Are they trying to compete with CLK or 3 series coupe or what?

Now watch as this coupe will have standard 420hp engine as non R variant leaving XK rather slim or perhaps even pointless choice.
If I were to guess I would say they are looking to compete with the CLS and A7, but do it with a true 2 dr coupe instead of a coupe look 4 dr. I have no idea whether that is a good enough market.

I think they would like to compete with the Quatraporte, or at least be a low cost alternative, but that's a fantasy IMO.
Old 11-21-08, 03:56 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
based on what they did to the RX, the GS probably won't be more than a slight evolution.
and they might botch it too
I stayed out of the new RX discussion because even though I admire it when I get as a loaner while in for service, I am not a potential customer for it. But the redesign sort of leaves me cold. In some respects it is evolutionary but it is also less distinctive to me. And the interior will probably function better than it looks. I am just a big fan for what they did. It just doesn't look Lexus-like to me. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 11-21-08, 06:33 PM
LexFather

I don't think the XF is based on the XK. I believe its a stretched old S-type platform, which was from the Ford thunderbird.

Old 11-21-08, 06:52 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If I recall the XF is based on the old S platform but people rarely know what that means. While it shares some major stampings with the S and attachment hardpoints, not to mention wheelbase, all the major components are from the old S, XK, and XJ. I could be wrong but I think many of the suspension bits are XK. Besides seeing two on the road within about three months of intro, I haven't seen one XF since which is pretty unusual here in car worshiping silicon valley. And in dirty black, it isn't very impressive.
Old 11-21-08, 07:03 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think the XF is based on the XK. I believe its a stretched old S-type platform, which was from the Ford thunderbird.
damn, forgot about that!
Old 11-21-08, 08:51 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

That looks AMAZING...
Old 11-21-08, 09:04 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's trying to compete with the DB series...albeit a more affordable alternative
Old 11-25-08, 10:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Jag’s XF Coupé gets ready to roar!

Jag’s XF Coupé gets ready to roar!

Beautiful two-door takes fight to Audi A5.

November 2008

What a stunner! This is Jaguar’s new super coupé – a two-door sports car poised to take the Big Cat into uncharted territory by locking horns with the Audi A5 and BMW 3-Series Coupé.

Expanding the highly successful XF range, the new coupé will combine striking looks with real driver appeal by adding a dramatic body to the saloon’s sporty underpinnings.

As Auto Express revealed in Issue 1,039, the XF Coupé is a key part of a new model strategy by Jaguar’s parent company, Tata. The raft of sporty machines will include the model you see here, as well as a drop-top Roadster version and a two-seater rival to the Porsche Boxster.

While the two-seater is still some way from showrooms, both the Coupé and Roadster go on sale here in 2010 – and they promise to give other prestige firms some tough competition.

As you can see from our world exclusive pictures, the head-turning XF Coupé could do for Jaguar what the TT did for Audi. Taking much of its inspiration from design boss Ian Callum’s original C-XF concept car, it boasts a bold metal grille, piercing LED headlights and raised bonnet bulge, which hints at the power that lies beneath.

The overall result is a strong visual identity, giving the car a much more aggressive face than the XF saloon. The high waistline provides further solidity in profile, and when combined with a steeply raked rear window and raised bootlid, it looks muscular and athletic.

Inside, the cabin is set to be derived from the XF saloon’s, with touchscreens, a glove*box which opens at the wave of a hand and a hidden gear selector. That raised rear end should mean a big boot, while there will be generous space for two adults in the back.

Power will come from an updated range of petrol and diesel engines, which will debut in the XF next year. These include a 3.0-litre twin-turbodiesel and a 5.0-litre supercharged V8 for the flagship.

The latter also features in the forthcoming XFR. It pumps out 500bhp, and should propel the XF Coupé from 0-60mph in five seconds – making it a genuine rival for BMW’s M3 and the Audi S5.

All engines will be mated to Jaguar’s six-speed auto. Add in a sportier rear-wheel-drive set-up than in the XF, and it will be one of the most desirable Jaguars ever. Sales should kick off in 2010, with prices starting at around £35,000.
Source
Old 11-25-08, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Great-looking car, but the headlights/taillights are too thin and awkward-looking. The coupe needs to keep the same ones the sedan has.
Old 11-25-08, 02:02 PM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

It's easy to react to all of these illustrations but we really need to wait for the real thing before we know if it's our cup of tea or not. I really like the coupe illustrations and am optimistic the final car will be very appealing. My recent purchase of an Audi S5 was heavily influenced by it's design and the fact it was a coupe.

The only other car I seriously considered was the XF because it's also beautifully designed but since it is a sedan, it was out. An XF coupe could have made things very interesting. Plus, I suspect Jag will correct some of the elements in the XF sedan that received the most criticism, like how the nose of the car lost the aggression of the original XF concept car.
Old 11-25-08, 02:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I believe its a stretched old S-type platform, which was from the Ford thunderbird.
Close, Mike, but not quite. The S-Type Jag shared a common platform with the Lincoln LS. The Thunderbird, being a two-seater, was a somewhat shortened version of that RWD platform.
Old 11-25-08, 02:46 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Great-looking car, but the headlights/taillights are too thin and awkward-looking. The coupe needs to keep the same ones the sedan has.
You have to be kidding. The headlights on the current sedan look HIDEOUS!

the best thing they can do is to get rid of those shi_ty current headlights.

T
Old 11-25-08, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ted920
You have to be kidding. The headlights on the current sedan look HIDEOUS!

the best thing they can do is to get rid of those shi_ty current headlights.

T
No, I disagree that they are hideous, although the little bubbles above the mid-bezels could be improved a little.

I guess it's just a difference in personal preference between you and me.....I've never liked small, slit-look lights.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-08 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 11:17 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like it! hopefully when it comes out, our sales will increase.

Quick Reply: Jaguar’s green light for XF roadster and Coupe