Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scions are non negotiable???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 10:06 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of the newer people coming into CAR CHAT, and those inexperienced in automotive matters, may not know that.
not new at all...and never bought from a dealer that dealt like this or had this policy. Never bought scion or saturn.

and doesnt hurt to ask.

and We will most likely just go buy a honda fit instead.

Thanks everyone for the info...
Old 11-23-08, 11:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I guess its kind of llike a take it or leave it kind of thing
Old 11-23-08, 11:42 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scion and Saturn do it this way .

For me, I kind of like it, when I bought my xB 4 years ago, I just walk in there, paid it and drove it away.
Old 11-24-08, 04:02 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yusef
....and We will most likely just go buy a honda fit instead.

A Honda Fit is a great car but just keep in mind that it will cost more, likely thousands more. And there is no haggling on Fit's either but in this case it's supply and demand. Many dealers still can't keep them in stock so you're going to pay full MSRP. Many dealers jack up the price as well.

So if the concern is price, go with the xD IMO.
Old 11-24-08, 11:07 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on finding a Fit without the dealer markup...
Old 11-24-08, 11:24 AM
Koma

Kinda strange that they couldn't remove the floor mats though. Isn't that an accessory? I figured anything that wasn't standard is up for grabs to remove unless there was an installation fee like audio equipment, body kits, etc. but not for floor mats. Those are easily removed.
Old 11-24-08, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

not new at all...and never bought from a dealer that dealt like this or had this policy. Never bought scion or saturn.

and doesnt hurt to ask.
Sorry. I wasn't trying to sound rude. We just get a lot of questions like that from the newer people, that's all. And, even after some 40 years of reviewing cars, I don't know it all either, by any means.....I'm still learning too.

If you are going to go deal on a Fit, you might as well just look at a Scion or Saturn instead. Although Fits, like other Hondas, are (technically) eligible for dealing, they rarely sell for below list at a discount because of supply/demand. In some cases, Honda dealerships mark Fits up OVER list....and get it.

Of course, this year, with the near-depression auto market and topsy-turvy credit, the conventional rules may not apply......maybe you CAN bargain on a Fit. But just keep in mind that this car has traditionally been very difficult to get at a discount. And that is where Saturn/Scion dealerships are ideal. They are not allowed to do any markups over list, even with high demand/short supply; although they sometimes get around that by loading on manufacturer-approved accessories, which are legit.
Old 11-24-08, 02:58 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I've never bought a Scion but I would love it if all dealerships did this. Walk in and get a price, the only price, no BS. I know exactly what I am willing to spend when I walk in, the beauty of internet research and pre-approved financing, so if they have the vehicle I want at the price I want to pay then we've got a deal. I think the buyers are the ones who force the mark-ups and second stickers because they all feel like they have to get a deal and talk that price down.
Old 11-24-08, 03:12 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I've never bought a Scion but I would love it if all dealerships did this. Walk in and get a price, the only price, no BS. I know exactly what I am willing to spend when I walk in, the beauty of internet research and pre-approved financing, so if they have the vehicle I want at the price I want to pay then we've got a deal. I think the buyers are the ones who force the mark-ups and second stickers because they all feel like they have to get a deal and talk that price down.

I am more than happy to go that system.

But the problem is that someone will start dealing and then the system will be screwed up.
Old 11-24-08, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I've never bought a Scion but I would love it if all dealerships did this. Walk in and get a price, the only price, no BS. I know exactly what I am willing to spend when I walk in, the beauty of internet research and pre-approved financing, so if they have the vehicle I want at the price I want to pay then we've got a deal.
Some Internet prices (by definition, advertised only on the Internet) at otherwise conventional dealerships are firm and non-negotiable (and usually at a good discount)...only tax and tags are added. I have helped several people find and buy new Hyundais at a dealership of this type.

I think the buyers are the ones who force the mark-ups and second stickers because they all feel like they have to get a deal and talk that price down.
No, not in most cases. Second-stickers and mark-ups are usually put there because the dealership thinks it can command that price from local market conditions and supply/demand. If you yourself turn it down and leave, someone else less-knowledgeable than you (or who is infatuated with the car and wants it more than you) will come in, right after you leave, and give the dealership what it wants.

Saturn and Scion dealerships, to an extent, prevent this with their list-price selling policies, but, as I noted above, manufacturer-approved accessories are fair game. So, if a Saturn dealer, for example, wants to sell that nice, sporty, bright-yellow Sky roadster out front, and sees people walking past and drooling at it, that car will likely get a list of Saturn-approved "accessories" on it to pump up its selling price....and profit.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-08 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 04:36 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of the newer people coming into CAR CHAT, and those inexperienced in automotive matters, may not know that.
You forgot to add the people who have no interest in buying their ugly cars (IMO).

Yusef, maybe you should tell your dad to look for a used one. I am sure there are pretty good deals out there.
Old 11-24-08, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pingu
You forgot to add the people who have no interest in buying their ugly cars (IMO).
Well, opinions differ on that. Some people (like you and me, apparantly), consider the Scion xA/xB/xD to be rather ugly. Other people think they're "cool".

Yusef, maybe you should tell your dad to look for a used one. I am sure there are pretty good deals out there.
Yes, sometimes used cars can be a good deal, but there is usually more risk than with a new one. I'm of the opinion that a new car, if you can afford it, is, in most cases, the best way to go.
Old 11-24-08, 08:15 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I've never heard of that
We usually do the 'asian haggling' trick...walk out, offer cash, etc..
what makes you think dealers are more enticed to sell to you because you offer cash?

well, actually with financing hard to come by these days, it might work.
Old 11-24-08, 10:12 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shyguy16
what makes you think dealers are more enticed to sell to you because you offer cash?

well, actually with financing hard to come by these days, it might work.
No it doesn't.

Financing is always preferred.
Old 11-24-08, 11:23 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pingu

Well honestly its not that price was the issue, she just wanted the car. and we have always bought landrover or lexus or something of that nature and never came across the whole no haggling issue. so we were just thrown off a bit

Normally we dont like buying used just because we like to start with a clean slate you know?

haha my bad mmarshall, didnt mean to sound defensive

but yea im not sure whats gonna happen, but my dads goin back to Iraq on saturday so were tryin to find a decent car before he leaves. She wants something good on gas and 4 door. I dont really like the yaris but he saw one and thinks it might be a good car. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Scions are non negotiable???