Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scions are non negotiable???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 12:20 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scions are non negotiable???

My sister and dad went to get a new scion xd. when they came back i was expecting her to be driving her new car and all. but apparently the dealer said scions prices are non negotiable...

the floor mats were an extra 155...so shes like can we take those out, the guy says no we cant, all scions come with them, we cant take them out. if we take them out then we have to sell them individually and we cant do that.

and he started saying scion set a price and if they go a dollar over or a dollar under then they are breaking the rules and they will get introuble. then he tried selling them other cars and saying we can give you a deal on ANY other car here except for scions.

so they were like ok maybe this guys just trying to screw with us. so they went to another dealership and they said the EXACT same thing

lol so whats the deal!? and how do we go about handling this?

both dealers kept stressing how they CANT do even a dollar lower...
Old 11-23-08, 12:41 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They can't. That's the idea behind Scion... non-negotiable pricing. They do come fairly well equipped for the price (standard power win/lock/mirror, A/C, cruise etc). The idea is that you customise your Scion. The only options are colour, transmission and maybe side airbags or no side airbags but otherwise, everything else is an accessory (like upgraded Pioneer audio, navigation, pedals, footwell lighting, rims etc).
Old 11-23-08, 12:42 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of that
We usually do the 'asian haggling' trick...walk out, offer cash, etc..
Old 11-23-08, 01:20 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Yup, no haggling. My coworker recently bought a xB and he tried negotiating with no success.
Old 11-23-08, 01:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

whole point is that you get good price to begin with... if dealer gets reported for dropping the price, they get penalties...
Old 11-23-08, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nope....no bartering. They operate like Saturn. Sticker price, plus tax/tags. The second sticker/add-ons/mark-ups are not included unless they are official Scion-approved accessories....then they're legit.

You may be able to bargain, however, on your trade-in value and on financing terms, although auto credit, of course, is somewhat more difficult to get now than before.

Although of course there is a decent profit margin built into the sticker price, Scion, like Saturn, has that no-dicker policy not necessarily for financial reasons, but to to make it easier for first-time auto buyers (they cater heavily to young people) and to those of any age who don't want a Middle Eastern Bazaar-market atmosphere and like a simple, easily-written-up deal.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-08 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 04:47 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I thought this was common knowledge.

Other brands basically inflate their prices anyway knowing that no one will pay MSRP. Therefore, people "think' they are getting a good deal when they pay less than MSRP even though you are now paying a fair price. Then, the customer leaves happy and satisfied with pride that they just haggled a good price that most people don't get (even though they do).

With Scion, the prices are among the most competitive. The lowest model, the xD, comes standard with full power, AC, cruise, iPod connectivity, 16" wheels, and much more for about $15,500. That's really hard to beat.

So go tell your sister and dad that the price is already a great deal and if you or they don't think so, compare with other vehicles. You won't find more for less.

Old 11-23-08, 05:07 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought mine XB at longo last year no discount at all... I had to pay full MSRP.. I was told everyone pay the same price and it is Scion's policy
Old 11-23-08, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I thought this was common knowledge.
Some of the newer people coming into CAR CHAT, and those inexperienced in automotive matters, may not know that.
Old 11-23-08, 06:10 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I sure didn't know that, but I guess the cars are good value already.
Old 11-23-08, 07:30 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I've never heard of that
We usually do the 'asian haggling' trick...walk out, offer cash, etc..
That was Saturn's hook for years. Don't know if they still do it.
Old 11-23-08, 07:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I went to a Scion dealer south of me and they told me the same thing, no bargaining on the price.
Old 11-23-08, 08:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfire
bought mine XB at longo last year no discount at all... I had to pay full MSRP.. I was told everyone pay the same price and it is Scion's policy
Why the ?

It simplifies the car buying process. Less dealing; it's an equal opportunity thing.

The only thing you have to negotiate is financing and your trade-in, if you are using either one...
Old 11-23-08, 08:38 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Why the ?

It simplifies the car buying process. Less dealing; it's an equal opportunity thing.

The only thing you have to negotiate is financing and your trade-in, if you are using either one...
Exactly. Why should people pay a priced based on their haggling skills which don't exactly bring out the best in people instead of everyone paying the same fair price of what the product is worth? All cars should be a flat price unless there are sales promotions.
Old 11-23-08, 09:12 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's only if they price it like regular cars. Since they're prices are fairly aggressive, I'd say it's a .

Also keep in mind that you guys get ridiculously good deals on cars that you can negotiate on (even before this economic slump). Up here, ask for a $1,000 discount on a new Lexus and you might get shown the door.

Quick Reply: Scions are non negotiable???