Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson's love for the Infiniti FX50s

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 10:17 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

infiniti is a disaster. only slightly less of a disaster than acura because of the g35.
every other of its models suck ***
Old 11-24-08, 11:50 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven a first gen FX35 as a loaner, and I didn't like it. The second gen looks uglier but at the same time more distinctive. If you buy this new FX, at least people wouldn't mistake it with other SUVs that look so similar to each other.
Old 11-24-08, 11:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The X5, RR, Cayenne got the Sport AND Utility part. The Cayenne can look ugly b/c its a Porsche, it gets a pass.

This vehicle is INfiniti's plan to tackle Europe? Lol.

Oh it is fast for a SUV and the interior is better (b/c the last one was horrible).
I would not say the X5 has the Utility part, it does not have much room or storage at all over a 5 series and it is as pointless as the FX50, even more pointless in some ways. I sat in a X5 and a 5 series and the 5 series is a much smarter buy then the X5 in my opinion and does not offer much over the sedan aside from the SUV "look". If you want Sport and Utility the Acura MDX is the best SUV in that regard, it has plenty of space, 3rd row seating, handles and performs extremely well with plenty of power, is well built and reliable, all for a good price. The MDX has won several reviews against more expensive European SUVs. Even BMW high ups admitted the MDX was superior to their X5 and they needed to address the X5 shortcomings after reviewing and testing a MDX.

I agree the FX is completely pointless and unneeded like many giant gas guzzling SUVs that are falling out of favor now. Infiniti should have went with a larger v8 lux/perf coupe, v8 sports car, or a CLS type sedan competitor to give a boost to their image instead of wasting resources, money, and efforts on a pointless performance SUV that has very little utility and is a complete gas hog.
Old 11-24-08, 12:24 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by UDel
I would not say the X5 has the Utility part, it does not have much room or storage at all over a 5 series and it is as pointless as the FX50, even more pointless in some ways. I sat in a X5 and a 5 series and the 5 series is a much smarter buy then the X5 in my opinion and does not offer much over the sedan aside from the SUV "look". If you want Sport and Utility the Acura MDX is the best SUV in that regard, it has plenty of space, 3rd row seating, handles and performs extremely well with plenty of power, is well built and reliable, all for a good price. The MDX has won several reviews against more expensive European SUVs. Even BMW high ups admitted the MDX was superior to their X5 and they needed to address the X5 shortcomings after reviewing and testing a MDX.

I agree the FX is completely pointless and unneeded like many giant gas guzzling SUVs that are falling out of favor now. Infiniti should have went with a larger v8 lux/perf coupe, v8 sports car, or a CLS type sedan competitor to give a boost to their image instead of wasting resources, money, and efforts on a pointless performance SUV that has very little utility and is a complete gas hog.
The MDX should not be brought up. For one, its disgusting, only in a way that is better than the utterly disgusting FX. The funniest thing though, its bigger than all the SUVs mentioned and has only a V-6. Its pathetic. It needs a V-8 option. Maybe a hybrid option. It has neither. Its competant if you like an average drivetrain and tranny, two of the most VITAL parts of the car. Acura, can u ask Kia how to offer a V-8? Stop mentioning them, they are not a luxury brand.

Now the new X5 is IMO a good looking SUV and far larger than the last model it is not pointless at all. IT OFFERS 3 ROWS OF SEATS. It has a lot of utility now. I don't buy the "buy a 5 wagon arguement" b/c then I will say buy the 5 wagon over EVERYTHING here and not suggest any SUV. I am a very big fan of the new X5. I have to say I grew into a big fan of the old X5 as well.

I would love to see the FX become a real SUV as it has the vitals. Great interior, fit and finish, quality, engine, tranny. Infiniti is trying, some people in the company get it. However they are not the ones in charge, the ones in charge get it right 30% of the time. 70% of the time, expect epic fail.

Old 11-24-08, 01:30 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Infiniti reminded him how good are Land Rovers?!?! ..Wow!

Land Rover is the most utter crap from Freelander to Range Rover and that is conclusion from personal experience! Things got a bit better with Ford but I have no words how to describe vehicles that come out of LR. Supercrap maybe?
None LR is worth its asking price and maybe not even half of it. Those are cars that are just slapped together on a go and like that put on lots for sale. Average lifespan of single LR is maybe just maybe over 15 months. After that they fall apart literally, I wish i saved pictures of mine when I was writing a letter to LR headquarters some 6 years ago letting them know what kind of POS they have built. Mine differential was gone within 10 months like completely I was left with FWD for about four weeks and than another week to get the thing replaced. And this was only one thing out of many.

So since he likes Range Rovers I guess Infiniti FX50S is not that bad at all.
Old 11-24-08, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

Land Rover is the most utter crap from Freelander to Range Rover and that is conclusion from personal experience! Things got a bit better with Ford but I have no words how to describe vehicles that come out of LR. Supercrap maybe?
None LR is worth its asking price and maybe not even half of it. Those are cars that are just slapped together on a go and like that put on lots for sale. Average lifespan of single LR is maybe just maybe over 15 months. After that they fall apart literally, I wish i saved pictures of mine when I was writing a letter to LR headquarters some 6 years ago letting them know what kind of POS they have built. Mine differential was gone within 10 months like completely I was left with FWD for about four weeks and than another week to get the thing replaced. And this was only one thing out of many.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth to this. Land Rover products, especially the Range Rover, are superb off-roaders; among the world's best, when they work properly and don't break down. But they are at or near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to reliability. A shame, too, because there are no other mass-production vehicles (with the possible exception of the Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470) that combine comfort and off-road capability so well. The Land Cruiser/LX470 trumps the Range Rover, big-time, on reliability.
Old 11-24-08, 01:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I don’t deny that it’s quite fast. But it’s only quite fast . . . for an enormous off-roader. Which is the same as being quite well behaved . . . for a psychopath.
Classic Clarkson. ROFL
Old 11-24-08, 04:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

he is british... they have a thing for land rovers you know...
Old 11-24-08, 08:18 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
infiniti is a disaster. only slightly less of a disaster than acura because of the g35.
i dunno, the M is rated better than the GS in most reviews.
Old 11-24-08, 09:16 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
The Infiniti M35/45 does not suck ***, it is an excellent car. The exterior is pretty bland much like the other Japanese mid priced lux cars like the 3rd Gen Lexus GS and Acura RL and it gets poor gas mileage but you can't fault the Ms very nice solid well crafted high quality interior nor its sporty BMW like ride, handling, and steering. I was very impressed with the M after sitting in it and driving it and it is a very good car. It usually beats the GS
in reviews and is one of the top rated sports/lux sedans in consumer reports.
Old 11-24-08, 09:44 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The MDX should not be brought up. For one, its disgusting, only in a way that is better than the utterly disgusting FX. The funniest thing though, its bigger than all the SUVs mentioned and has only a V-6. Its pathetic. It needs a V-8 option. Maybe a hybrid option. It has neither. Its competant if you like an average drivetrain and tranny, two of the most VITAL parts of the car. Acura, can u ask Kia how to offer a V-8? Stop mentioning them, they are not a luxury brand.

Now the new X5 is IMO a good looking SUV and far larger than the last model it is not pointless at all. IT OFFERS 3 ROWS OF SEATS. It has a lot of utility now. I don't buy the "buy a 5 wagon arguement" b/c then I will say buy the 5 wagon over EVERYTHING here and not suggest any SUV. I am a very big fan of the new X5. I have to say I grew into a big fan of the old X5 as well.
The MDX is very much a competitor to the X5, FX50, Merc M class, etc and should be brought up, it is always compared with those high end vehicles and was built to compete with those vehicles. Looks are subjective and have absolutely nothing to do with if something should compete or not, clearly not everyone feels the same way you do about its looks because the MDX sells very well despite being priced over 40K, I think it is a nice sharp looking SUV. If you are going to use something like "looks" as an eliminating factor in an SUV competing then you might as well use reliability too and in that regards the X5 would be quickly eliminated as it is plagued with reliability issues, Cayanne, M Class, and FX too for that matter are terrible in the reliability ratings. I am not saying reliability should eliminate it from competing or being mentioned but that makes about as much sense as saying "looks" should be a basis for eliminating or not being worth mentioning.

The MDX does not need a v8 option, it's v6 already provides decent torque and 300hp, it has been clocked in the low 7 seconds range numerous times and has dipped below 7 seconds 0-60 in some tests, it is plenty fast for a larger medium sized SUV and faster then many of its v8/v6 rivals, their is nothing pathetic about its powerplant. The only thing the MDX would need a v8 for would be for heavy towing but very few owners will be using a MDX to be towing a large boat or trailer and need a v8. As for speed, performance, and passing the v6 is more then powerful enough and a large heavy SUV does not need to be doing sub 6 second 0-60, it is pointless. A v8 would just make a slightly quicker more expensive gas guzzler and that is not what people are demanding right now. Aside form the Cayanne, the V6 versions of all the high end MDX competitors are the ones that most people buy and make up the largest percentage of sales, does that mean the v6 versions are all not real luxury/perf SUVs and only the v8s are?

A more fuel efficient hybrid or diesel would make much more sense for the MDX then a gas guzzling v8 but either way I don't really hear owners/reviewers of the MDX complaining about the power of its v6 or its drivetrain.

There is nothing average about the MDX 300hp V6, transmission, or standard SHAWD drivetrain. The MDX has the most advanced AWD system of any performance SUV on the market for handling. Who cares if KIA offers a v8 in one of their SUVs, it does not suddenly make it a great luxury SUV or much better then the MDX just because it has 2 more cylinders, the MDX is a much better SUV then the KIA despite it not having a v8, I don't hear people/reviewers raving about the v8 KIA or it breaking all kinds of sales records. So the KIA is automatically a much better SUV then the Lexus RX350 and brand new RX just because it offers a v8? I am sorry but a v8 option does not automatically equal a better vehicle or the definition of luxury. There are plenty of crappy v8 lux cars, sedans, 2 doors, SUVs that sell poorly, are executed poorly, are failures, and are poorly regarded.
Old 11-24-08, 09:59 PM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by UDel
The MDX is very much a competitor to the X5, FX50, Merc M class, etc and should be brought up, it is always compared with those high end vehicles and was built to compete with those vehicles. Looks are subjective and have absolutely nothing to do with if something should compete or not, clearly not everyone feels the same way you do about its looks because the MDX sells very well despite being priced over 40K, I think it is a nice sharp looking SUV. If you are going to use something like "looks" as an eliminating factor in an SUV competing then you might as well use reliability too and in that regards the X5 would be quickly eliminated as it is plagued with reliability issues, Cayanne, M Class, and FX too for that matter are terrible in the reliability ratings. I am not saying reliability should eliminate it from competing or being mentioned but that makes about as much sense as saying "looks" should be a basis for eliminating or not being worth mentioning.

The MDX does not need a v8 option, it's v6 already provides decent torque and 300hp, it has been clocked in the low 7 seconds range numerous times and has dipped below 7 seconds 0-60 in some tests, it is plenty fast for a larger medium sized SUV and faster then many of its v8/v6 rivals, their is nothing pathetic about its powerplant. The only thing the MDX would need a v8 for would be for heavy towing but very few owners will be using a MDX to be towing a large boat or trailer and need a v8. As for speed, performance, and passing the v6 is more then powerful enough and a large heavy SUV does not need to be doing sub 6 second 0-60, it is pointless. A v8 would just make a slightly quicker more expensive gas guzzler and that is not what people are demanding right now. Aside form the Cayanne, the V6 versions of all the high end MDX competitors are the ones that most people buy and make up the largest percentage of sales, does that mean the v6 versions are all not real luxury/perf SUVs and only the v8s are?

A more fuel efficient hybrid or diesel would make much more sense for the MDX then a gas guzzling v8 but either way I don't really hear owners/reviewers of the MDX complaining about the power of its v6 or its drivetrain.

There is nothing average about the MDX 300hp V6, transmission, or standard SHAWD drivetrain. The MDX has the most advanced AWD system of any performance SUV on the market for handling. Who cares if KIA offers a v8 in one of their SUVs, it does not suddenly make it a great luxury SUV or much better then the MDX just because it has 2 more cylinders, the MDX is a much better SUV then the KIA despite it not having a v8, I don't hear people/reviewers raving about the v8 KIA or it breaking all kinds of sales records. So the KIA is automatically a much better SUV then the Lexus RX350 and brand new RX just because it offers a v8? I am sorry but a v8 option does not automatically equal a better vehicle or the definition of luxury. There are plenty of crappy v8 lux cars, sedans, 2 doors, SUVs that sell poorly, are executed poorly, are failures, and are poorly regarded.
Here you are bringing up Acura and defending it. The MDX is not a competitor to the V-8 cars mentioned. It IS NOT a competitor to the SUV in the thread title, the 5.0 liter, 390hp, V-8 FX 50s. So stop bringing the oversized, underengined vehicle please. It is a V-6 only. Its a decent V-6, it does fine. There is nothing excesive about it, like the FX50s here.

Its just beyond lame and ghey that Kia has a V-8 before Acura and Kia has a car with more torque and hp than any Acura. It is INEXCUSABLE for a luxury badged brand to still have no V-8. And guess what, when they do (if they do) its still ghey Kia/Hyundai had one years before they did. Hell Volvo has a V-8 too.

The RX has nothing to do with this conversation. Lexus HAS V-8s in the GX and LX. THe RX is not the size of any of these vehicles, nor the mammoth MDX. The RX still offers a complex hybrid option that Acura cannot even fathom how to build. The RX 400h is just as fast as a MDX with better gas mileage. Surely the 450h will be even faster.

Listen, its totally inexcusable for a luxury brand not to have a V-8. Its just beyond lame and one of the reasons they are not a luxury brand anyway.

Infiniti at least understands this, with superb engines in the NEW 3.7 and 5.0 V-8 and NEW tranny. No Acura can hold a candle to EITHER ENGINE. Infiniti> Acura.

As useless as the FX50 s is, i would get it before the MDX b/c it actually has an engine and tranny a luxury vehicle should have.

Old 11-24-08, 10:10 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
he is british... they have a thing for land rovers you know...
Ironic how he owns a Land Cruiser
Old 11-24-08, 11:53 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

IMO, all of these type of SUV's are useless. The FX50 has a superb interior, but the car itself doesn't really serve a clear purpose. The same can be said about BMW's X6.
Old 11-25-08, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
IMO, all of these type of SUV's are useless. The FX50 has a superb interior, but the car itself doesn't really serve a clear purpose. The same can be said about BMW's X6.
Agreed. I find the stying, on both, somewhat quirky as well. But there are people out there who see usefulness in these designs....they do combine high ground clearance and all-weather capability with a sporting chassis, though, IMO, Subaru does it just as well on turbo Outbacks for a lot less money.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson's love for the Infiniti FX50s