Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Venza Fighter Spied

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 05:38 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i'd rather have the venza.. seems like no comparison
Old 11-24-08, 06:08 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I wonder what the market reception towards vehicles like the Honda Stream and Toyota Picnic would be here. They're basically smaller versions of the Venza and....whatever it is that we're talking about in this thread. Granted, the Picnic is overdue for a new generation, but the Stream is a nice car.
Old 11-24-08, 06:14 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda is no worse than a lot of other manufacturers on the cheapness of their materials, and better than many of them. Part of it is, as you note, cost-cutting, but part is the need to get vehicle weight down to comply with ever-tightening gas mileage/emission rules.

The new Honda CR-V, for instance, has some of the best materials and fit-finish I've ever seen on that class of vehicle, though its overall styling is rather quirky. Feel how solid the outside mirror housings are, for example (a weak point in many domestic cars), and how smooth/slick they swivel and lock into place. This jewel-like assembly is typical for Honda.
The Honda CR-V is inferior quality wise to the Tiguan. One look at the sticker price confirms why. I agree with you on the Honda v. domestic comparison, yet Honda has cheapened significantly with their latest generation of cars. I don't find anything jewel-like about the cheap headliner, cheap nonexistant trunk finish, cheap panel plastics (on the latest-gen Accord). You mention the articulating outside mirrors - Yes they fold (which Toyota doesn't include on the Camry bizzarely), yet the mirrors on my VW fold inwards with the flick of a switch - that's thoughtfull design. The best quality piece on my Accord is the steering wheel audio controls, perfectly damped, exceptional. Yet, they are not lighted (yet they are in the VW, even have trick button to extinguish them at night behind the steering wheel).

I suppose if I were driving between a Ford and and a Honda everyday it would be easy to call Honda automobiles high quality, yet I have a car from the dark-side parked in my driveway. It's my opinion that where Honda may outdo VW in regards to reliablity, VW desolates Honda in regards to overall packaging and build quality (I'm comparing Accord to Passat here, but that generally holds true with the Tiguan v. competition, Jetta v. competition, and Touraeg v. Competition).

Last edited by FKL; 11-24-08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
The Honda CR-V is inferior quality wise to the Tiguan. One look at the sticker price confirms why. I agree with you on the Honda v. domestic comparison, yet Honda has cheapened significantly with their latest generation of cars. I don't find anything jewel-like about the cheap headliner, cheap nonexistant trunk finish, cheap panel plastics (on the latest-gen Accord). You mention the articulating outside mirrors - Yes they fold (which Toyota doesn't include on the Camry bizzarely), yet the mirrors on my VW fold inwards with the flick of a switch - that's thoughtfull design. The best quality piece on my Accord is the steering wheel audio controls, perfectly damped, exceptional. Yet, they are not lighted (yet they are in the VW, even have trick button to extinguish them at night behind the steering wheel).

I suppose if I were driving between a Ford and and a Honda everyday it would be easy to call Honda automobiles high quality, yet I have a car from the dark-side parked in my driveway. It's my opinion that where Honda may outdo VW in regards to reliablity, VW desolates Honda in regards to overall packaging and build quality (I'm comparing Accord to Passat here, but that generally holds true with the Tiguan v. competition, Jetta v. competition, and Touraeg v. Competition).
I agree that VW does a good job overall except for some flimsy, cheap steering-column stalks and dash controls (and, of course, the well-known electronics/wiring problems)
Old 11-24-08, 06:35 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Definitely a photochop. I've been working in photoshop for over 10 years and can spot a bad chop. This chop is BAD!!
looks like 10 years is not enough.
look at the post above yours.
this is a real (badly assembled) prototype.
Old 11-24-08, 07:03 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I was speaking of just the one pic, the one I hi-lighted, it's a chop.
Old 11-24-08, 07:09 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

The Euro-spec version of this car won the prestigious international design of the year award for 2008.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/27/e...rd-for-design/
Old 11-24-08, 07:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
The Euro-spec version of this car won the prestigious international design of the year award for 2008.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/27/e...rd-for-design/
unfortuntly, Euro Accord (aka TSX), looks a lot better.

And if you compare this to Venza, you can see why Toyota does not want to call Venza a Wagon.
Old 11-24-08, 07:47 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Definitely a photochop. I've been working in photoshop for over 10 years and can spot a bad chop. This chop is BAD!!
I don't get what you're trying to point out... the circle on the bottom right, if you're trying to say that body line disappears, it's because of the fake cladding/wheel arches taped onto the car
Old 11-24-08, 07:49 PM
LexFather

lmfao that the same car, the Euro Accord aka Acura TSX gets a design award for being badged Accord and Acura turns it into garbage with the supposed luxury grill.

I still don't see how that wins any award design though.

Old 11-24-08, 07:52 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that VW does a good job overall except for some flimsy, cheap steering-column stalks and dash controls (and, of course, the well-known electronics/wiring problems)
Yes I agree the new generation of cars have significantly cheaper colum stalks. The old Passat/Golf had stalks taken from the Audi parts bin, and you can tell. Nice damping, click action, high quality plastic, and quiet "sophisticated" in it's design - The controls for the mfa computer are integrated into the right windshield wiper control (compete with a reset button underneath. It's made to be pressed by the driver, so it feels more substantial than the things in my two Hondas (though the 04 Accord has vastly nicer stalks to the 02, which was cheap slippery plastic).
Old 11-25-08, 08:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I don't know if it's the mentality from their motorcycle upbringings, but Hondas have always had a sense of "springy-ness", which isn't always a good thing. Light imprecise steering, wait until redline powerplants, and low levels of noise control, always loud. Toyota has their share of quality problems (cheapened interiors), but the platform of the car is always engineered to a high level. VW of course, usually sets class standards for everything BUT reliability
That's exactly it. The problem with Honda is they are using the SAME mentality that they have when building motorcycles and applying that to automobiles. Thing is, you can't do that. Building automobiles requires a different mentality. Overly nervous suspension and chassis, being too "springy" especially on rough roads, wait until redline powerplants, light steering; all of these traits apply to most Honda vehicles, and not surprisingly they also apply to most Honda motorcycles.
Old 05-29-09, 03:52 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb SpyShots

Old 05-29-09, 05:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Another beauty from Honda!!

Old 05-29-09, 06:35 AM
Koma

Hideous. Cheap looking. HUGE rear overhang.
The Venza looks like a wagon/hatch-ified RX whereas this looks like an enlargened...

Quick Reply: Honda Venza Fighter Spied